anyone else like the fact you don't have to decide what to do in linear games. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

anyone else like the fact you don't have to decide what to do in linear games.

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I can't really play something without some sort of story or point (for single player games) I need actually reason to do things like progressing the story rewards like in game "currency" don't feel like enough I like being funneled down a specific path being told what to do as long as I have a hell of a time doing it. I can play the same story 6 times over and still not get bored of it my appeal is very, very particular I guess I am strange in that way but I am strange in general tbh sadsmiley.gif

damn I wanted to be mean and made my name confusing 8u773T H053 is what I want but bullethose will do for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 131 (Unique: 79)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullethose View Post

I can't really play something without some sort of story or point (for single player games) I need actually reason to do things like progressing the story rewards like in game "currency" don't feel like enough I like being funneled down a specific path being told what to do as long as I have a hell of a time doing it. I can play the same story 6 times over and still not get bored of it my appeal is very, very particular I guess I am strange in that way but I am strange in general tbh sadsmiley.gif

No, I get bored, still not finished any of this years hits like tomb raider, crysis 3 and metro 2033 yet have 900hrs in bf3 multiplayer in 12 months lol.

4770K - Asus Maximus Gene Z87 - Patriot Black Mamba 2133 8Gb - Ocz Fatality 750w - Coollaboratory Liquid Alpheos Cpu Block - Xspc Rx 360 Radiator- Hardware Labs Black Ice Radiator 240 - XSPC D5 Vario - Aqua Computer Glass Tube Res - Mayhems Tharsis red - 6 Corsair SP120 - 2 Corsair AF120 Air Series - 1 140mm Enemax Everest - Nzxt H440 - Intel 330 120Gb - Ocz agilty 3 120Gb - 1Tb Toshiba 7200 64mb Hdd.
Gtx Titan X
Ducky Shine 3 Tkl - Cherry Black - Zowie Fk1 - Steel Series Qck Heavy
Asus Rog Swift X 3 , 7680 X 1440 p @144hz - 7" Samsung usb monitor.
FiiO E17 Dac - Audio Technica AD700X - Audio Technica M50 - Edifier R1600T Studio Monitors
Rseat Rs1 Custom - Srh Tach Dash - Accuforce pro - Momo mod 30 - He pedals pro - Fanaec sq 1.5 - Srh g-force display - He sequential. Earth magnet snap action shifters
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 893 (Unique: 710)
Eh, I don't really mind linear type of games if the story is engaging and there is at least some element of skill involved at some point.

Final Fantasy XIII is a reasonable example.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
I don't mind, at least they have an ending....games like oblivion, Skyrim, and fallout eat your life away with having to put so much time into them. No wonder it's more about modding and screenshots than actual playing.

Skyrim fans!!

Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 841 (Unique: 542)
Making decisions doesn't overwhelm me or scare me, so no, I don't prefer a linear game. When I do play linear games, I want them to still provide some degree of exploration and choice, like Metro: Last Light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunan View Post

I don't mind, at least they have an ending....games like oblivion, Skyrim, and fallout eat your life away with having to put so much time into them. No wonder it's more about modding and screenshots than actual playing.

Uh, what? I have 660+ hours of PLAYING Skyrim, 200 hours of PLAYING Fallout 3, 200 hours of PLAYING Fallout: New Vegas, and those hours are still going up rapidly. More about modding? I never made any mods for them. More about screenshots? I don't take many, nor does my time taking screenshots exceed my time playing these games. If all you do is make mods for them, I applaud your dedication. If all you do is take screenshots in them, then you're a weird guy.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 8 (Unique: 8)
SO it's true gamers prefer not to have to think at all anymore...

As JC Denton once said..."What a shame."

[CPU] Intel i7 8700k[GPU] Nvidia Titan V[RAM] 32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition Contrast 3466Mhz[MB] ASUS Z370-G[PSU] Seasonic PRIME 850w[SSD] 1x500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1x 250GB Samsung 840, 1x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB , 1x 960 Pro 1TB[CASE] Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX TG
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Sometimes I want to think. Sometimes I want to... not think. In those times, linear games are fun.

-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2013, 07:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 62)
Naughty Dog games are great examples

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I do like to think just don't feel like it all the time.

damn I wanted to be mean and made my name confusing 8u773T H053 is what I want but bullethose will do for now.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 166 (Unique: 132)
I think its great that you can wonder off and come back when you want - FC3 is one good example.

I mean you pay 30 odd quid for a game and some want to see how quick they can finish it biggrin.gif

Horses for courses thumb.gif

There are 2 kinds of people I really admire in this world. Ones that say they are going to do something and do it! And ones that do something, and then say they have done it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in