User Reviews of Watch Dogs? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

User Reviews of Watch Dogs?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
^_^

Rep: 135 (Unique: 114)
Over the last few days I've been watching the reviews for Watch Dogs climb into the thousands on Meta Critic, yet they refuse to update them into the scores. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/watch-dogs

Currently has a 4.4 which it says is based on 1076 ratings, but is only listing 358 of them. The rating was 4.4 a few days ago when it was actually still around 400 user reviews. I'm curious if it's gone up or down from the 4.4 in users eyes.

Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
CPU
FX-8320 3.5GHz
Motherboard
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
RAM
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz ADATA
Hard Drive
TOSHIBA 2TB
Case
X-Titan
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
Acer G276HL Gbd 27"
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:04 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
the rule thumb #1 about users ratings is that its devided in those sites (gametrailers,gamespot) by fan boys of consoles campaign characterized in extreme ratings in most of them(zero or ten),so i wouldnt rely on these scores if i were u,or by score in general in certain circumstances but thats a debate for another day

u can see watch dogs score in gameranking if you'd like to here

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
^_^

I trust user reviews 100% over critic. All the critic reviews that are 8+ say the same thing the users do "well its basically gta4 with hacking... buuuuut despite the bugs, the promises, and hype its good anyway" but they're being paid so their 4s turn into 8s.

Actually if you actually click on http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/watch-dogs/user-reviews it updates to show all 1079 PC reviews (395 positive, 95 mix, 589 negative) Guess it's just a bug on the main page

Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
CPU
FX-8320 3.5GHz
Motherboard
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
RAM
Hard Drive
TOSHIBA 2TB
Case
X-Titan
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
Acer G276HL Gbd 27"
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by End3R View Post

I trust user reviews 100% over critic. All the critic reviews that are 8+ say the same thing the users do "well its basically gta4 with hacking... buuuuut despite the bugs, the promises, and hype its good anyway" but they're being paid so their 4s turn into 8s.
do u try to tell me that u did checked every user's score??,because the only way to know its averages at 8 is if metacritic would have updated the user score and they didnt... smile.gif

anyway most people cant tell the difference in objective manner as we humans are subjected to feelings and not numbers the quallities of for example a game with 82 avg score and 84 score,but thats imo

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 19)
I'm reading that its a buggy graphical mess and that until it gets patched, to stay away from it, and that its not worth the premium charge for it. Forbes I think it was, and someone posted a video of how the physics and building design are completely inferior to even the first GTA games.

Funny how PC gamers get promised this and that, get stellar demos at E3 (crysis to name one) and when it comes release time, its nothing like shown or promised.

Skyrim fans!!

Check out Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Redoran Guard's Skyrim Battles!!

Custom characters and battles from ES lore!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 18 (Unique: 6)
If it would have been what was promised, I would have opened my wallet willingly, As it sits, No chance is Hell.

Why spend thousands On a computer for gaming, Just too get this.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 184 (Unique: 115)
Quote:

Actually if you actually click on http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/watch-dogs/user-reviews it updates to show all 1079 PC reviews (395 positive, 95 mix, 589 negative) Guess it's just a bug on the main page

Sounds like your mind is already decided. What's the point of this thread again?

The game is most certainly better than a 4 or 5/10, those people are probably having technical difficulties, don't like the style of game or were expecting a true next gen game with all those GTA features (I thought it was clear it wasn't going to be true next gen, given that its been in dev for 5 years and next gen consoles are still new).

I don't think 8/10 is a far stretch. People just had unrealistic expectations which when combined with some serious SLI/Crossfire bugs and a lack of features which certainly aren't next gen (presumably because if they added them the game would be even harder on computers and consoles...and its already hard on them).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

Sounds like your mind is already decided. What's the point of this thread again?

If you read my first post it was about the incosistancy of the number of user reviews being reported, but if you also read the post which you quoted, you would have read where I said:
Quote:

Actually if you actually click on http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/watch-dogs/user-reviews it updates to show all 1079 PC reviews (395 positive, 95 mix, 589 negative) Guess it's just a bug on the main page.

So that was the end of why the thread was started, if people want to still talk about it they're free to, welcome to America.

Elite Four x 2
(8 items)
CPU
FX-8320 3.5GHz
Motherboard
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0
GPU
MSI GTX 970 GAMING 100ME
RAM
Hard Drive
TOSHIBA 2TB
Case
X-Titan
Operating System
Windows 8.1
Monitor
Acer G276HL Gbd 27"
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 912 (Unique: 541)
This is just another example of how most game developers and critics don't understand what "real" gamers want. It is no surprise indie games are becoming the best games on the market, it is because they are formed from "real" gamers that have a passion for what they are doing. These big companies only want $, and many critics refuse to give accurate reviews in fear of getting on a company's bad side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunan View Post

I'm reading that its a buggy graphical mess and that until it gets patched, to stay away from it, and that its not worth the premium charge for it. Forbes I think it was, and someone posted a video of how the physics and building design are completely inferior to even the first GTA games.

Funny how PC gamers get promised this and that, get stellar demos at E3 (crysis to name one) and when it comes release time, its nothing like shown or promised.

Even without the bugs and optimization issues, the gameplay is some of the most repetitive I have ever seen. If you like the typical Far Cry 3/Assassin Creed type gameplay, then you may enjoy the game. Hack the "big thing" in that section of the map, then hack the newly unlocked 3-4 "mini things", then do hundreds of repetitive and pointless tasks you just unlocked. Go to the next section of the map, repeat all these steps, and then do it again 20 times.

Ubisoft has no creativity anymore, and it seems they force the same structure in all their games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

The game is most certainly better than a 4 or 5/10, those people are probably having technical difficulties, don't like the style of game or were expecting a true next gen game with all those GTA features (I thought it was clear it wasn't going to be true next gen, given that its been in dev for 5 years and next gen consoles are still new).

I don't think 8/10 is a far stretch. People just had unrealistic expectations which when combined with some serious SLI/Crossfire bugs and a lack of features which certainly aren't next gen (presumably because if they added them the game would be even harder on computers and consoles...and its already hard on them).

I'd give it a 5/10, and without the technical issues a 6/10. Everything outside of the main campaign is not actually a game, it's a chore.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 184 (Unique: 115)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

This is just another example of how most game developers and critics don't understand what "real" gamers want. It is no surprise indie games are becoming the best games on the market, it is because they are formed from "real" gamers that have a passion for what they are doing. These big companies only want $, and many critics refuse to give accurate reviews in fear of getting on a company's bad side.
Even without the bugs and optimization issues, the gameplay is some of the most repetitive I have ever seen. If you like the typical Far Cry 3/Assassin Creed type gameplay, then you may enjoy the game. Hack the "big thing" in that section of the map, then hack the newly unlocked 3-4 "mini things", then do hundreds of repetitive and pointless tasks you just unlocked. Go to the next section of the map, repeat all these steps, and then do it again 20 times.

Ubisoft has no creativity anymore, and it seems they force the same structure in all their games.
I'd give it a 5/10, and without the technical issues a 6/10. Everything outside of the main campaign is not actually a game, it's a chore.

I was gonna say 6/10 for similar reasons but dat multiplayer is so entertaining. Nothing says fun like hacking into someone's single player game. That + I really like the bleak feeling the game gives off/the anti-establishment premise leads me to give it a 8/10. (I also like the line-of-sight puzzles, theyre much more fulfilling than normal puzzles).

Also, not having any issues except the occasional issue with flickering shadows and floating cards (which was fixed by using Sweetfx, lol) helps me give it a higher score.

I'm looking forward to the future of this franchise, lots of potential. Lets just hope for a bit more polish next time around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in