Best PC game graphics ever? - Page 9 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best PC game graphics ever?

post #81 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 06:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 184 (Unique: 115)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

We're running quite a bit wide a field here aren't we fellas? This isn't a Skyrim modding tutorial thread...

Context is your friend. We're talking about Skyrim as it pertains to the best graphics on pc currently. (leave the modding to mods please)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:38 PM
MegaTechPC

Rep: 1091 (Unique: 517)
Pretty sure arguing over how to make shadows look better in Skyrim has nothing to do with what game has the best graphics on PC, regardless of context. I already stated that IMO modded games don't really answer the spirit of the question in the first place. But sure, go ahead and talk about whatever you want. Maybe you can start an AMD vs Nvidia flame war while you're at it?

3DMark11 - P25138
3DMark Firestrike - P20998

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

post #83 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Crysis witcher2 NBA2k15 players face specially

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 07:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 184 (Unique: 115)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

Pretty sure arguing over how to make shadows look better in Skyrim has nothing to do with what game has the best graphics on PC, regardless of context. I already stated that IMO modded games don't really answer the spirit of the question in the first place. But sure, go ahead and talk about whatever you want. Maybe you can start an AMD vs Nvidia flame war while you're at it?

We aren't even talking mods at this point. We are talking about adjusting ini setting to achieve this.
If you have futher concerns regarding on topic discussion please contact a moderator at your leisure.

Also, the OP says nothing about not discussing modded games and you're not the OP so trying to railroad the discussion isn't exactly cool and I'd appreciate it if you would stop.

8k shadows with max draw distance, its at the least on par with current gen though the video is not at a playable fps but that wasn't ever my point.. My point was that you can have high quality shadows with good draw distances if your hardware supports it.
post #85 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 58)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYDeath View Post

8k shadows with max draw distance, its at the least on par with current gen though the video is not at a playable fps but that wasn't ever my point.. My point was that you can have high quality shadows with good draw distances if your hardware supports it.

You must be seeing something far different from what I am.

The shadows are all very hard-lined, prebaked shadows indicative of last-gen games. There is no softening of the shadows as they get farther away from the object casting the shadow like current gen.

For example, look at the tree shadow on the ground to the left. Notice how it gets both softer and lighter depending on how far away it is from the tree and what surface material it's on.

I don't see Skyrim doing that.

As for the draw distances, a large part of the reason Skyrim can have such long draw distances is because the geometry of the objects is so simplistic. Look at the trees in that video. Most are probably only a few dozen polygons with textures applied. Compare them to the trees you see here:

In a game with draw distances like this:

post #86 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 123)
I think each game does something different very well.
Just cause 2 had some awesome long distance graphics, but the textures of objects up close sucked.
Far Cry 3 and 4 are also very good and well rounded.
Crysis 2 and 3 have awesome close up textures and foliage.
Skyrim once modded looks pretty good all around.
post #87 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 113)
Crysis 1/warhead are now graphically obsolete. Still pretty, but obsolete and I mean vanilla-mods in general do not count,they are part of another discussion. Most graphically advanced PC games atm are Ryse,DA:I, Crysis 3 and Metro LL in that order. Haven't played TVOEC yet.

post #88 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 AM
PC Evangelist

Rep: 1789 (Unique: 1170)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuivamaa View Post

Crysis 1/warhead are now graphically obsolete. Still pretty, but obsolete and I mean vanilla-mods in general do not count,they are part of another discussion. Most graphically advanced PC games atm are Ryse,DA:I, Crysis 3 and Metro LL in that order. Haven't played TVOEC yet.

Crysis is missing a lot of effects and filters that did not exist back in 2007.

Ishimura
(13 items)
Yamato
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.8GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
GPU
AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition
RAM
AVEXIR Blitz 1.1 16GB DDR3-2400MHz CL10
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX
Case
Fractal Design Define Nano S
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Monitor
LG OLED55C7P
Keyboard
Cooler Master MasterKeys MK750
Mouse
Finalmouse Air58 Ninja
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z170 Deluxe
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-3000 CL15
Hard Drive
Samsung SM961 512GB
Hard Drive
HGST DeskStar NAS 6TB
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2
Cooling
Cooler Master Nepton 280L
Case
Fractal Design Meshify C TG
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #89 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:40 AM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 841 (Unique: 542)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustang View Post

You must be seeing something far different from what I am. pics n stuff

That wraps up that discussion. Although I laugh that TW3 still has bad AA, like its predecessor. The water in that first picture is also terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxthunder View Post

I think each game does something different very well.
Just cause 2 had some awesome long distance graphics, but the textures of objects up close sucked.
Far Cry 3 and 4 are also very good and well rounded.

Far Cry 3 is technically hideous in many ways. Abysmal draw distance, cardboard looking foliage, bad anti-aliasing, lackluster overall texture quality, lackluster water, inferior lighting. Crysis looks 10x better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuivamaa View Post

I disagree with the order (Crysis 3 and Metro: LL have better ambient occlusion, lighting, and maybe shadows than DA:I), but indeed those are the five games (including TVOEC) that are technically superior to everything else in visual fidelity. doomlord's post about Ryse shows it should be kept away from the #1 spot though. TVOEC's slightly dated lighting (in comparison) keeps it from the #1 spot too.
post #90 of 385 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Here is a better and more fair comparison between Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3. However I agree that Crysis 3 looks overall better, especially when it comes to textures.

Crysis 3

Far Cry 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in