[Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion

post #11 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 842 (Unique: 543)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded83 View Post

Agreed. I'm using virtual surround on my headphones though I don't know if it does much. I was actually shocked when I threw something and it landed on some shards of glass and actually made the correct sound! You're right about everything making a correct sound. In fact, it's made me uneasy more than once when I walked over a different surface (like say a fence was knocked over by something the second time walking through, and now it makes the sound of chain link). It adds quite a bit.

I believe I played a bit of The Dark Descent, but it was a while back it feels like, and I remember only playing a short bit and never finishing it. As with most other horror games. redface.gif

I wish I had your nerves. I'd say you experience these games properly. That's what I say to people who refuse to play horror games out of fear. "A horror game scares you? That's exactly why you should play it. That's what the creators intended."

I highly recommend going back and playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and also the Penumbra collection. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 57 (Unique: 47)
I never made it far enough in the Dark Descent to see the "monster" or whatever it is that I've seen in videos of people further into the game.

I hear ya though, it's a tough balancing act I suppose between being numb to the scary situations, and so scared you can't even play. I'm very curious and engrossed in this world they've created though, so I'm going to do my best to push through. You're right, it is good to be scared by it as that's what it's supposed to do, sometimes I just can't take any more though! I'm amazed I got through as much of Alien Isolation in the Oculus Rift as I did. And I mainly stopped playing that because I reached a point that I just kept dying over and over, so I became frustraed. Part of that was probably BECAUSE I was playing it in the Rift though.

I share your view on nerves, but with people and scary movies. I keep waiting for one to really scare me! smile.gif
post #13 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:12 PM
(not)New to Overclock.net

Rep: 99 (Unique: 80)
Nvidia driver 355.98 crashes constantly with the GOG version. Lowering the overclock, which was stable with all my other games, didn't change anything. Anyone else having issues with Nv driver?

Edit: Gonna try 356.04, see if changes anything.

Custom Loop: EK Supremacy CPU block, EK GTX 1080ti GPU block, Bitspower C47 fittings & angled adapters, Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 200, Bitspower Pump Top&Mod, AquaComputer D5 PWM pump, Bitspower 12mm tubing, HardwareLabs Nemesis 360 GTS radiators, Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans, Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

What kind of crash? When I first tried to play, it would get to the title screen with "Frictional Games" and then freeze. Then I could click and close the program. I verified the files and added the 2 exe files to MSI OSD program, and it worked after that. Pretty sure it was Afterburner causing the problem, as it has for me in other games a few times as well.
post #15 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:28 PM

Like I said, it's the NVidia driver that crashes. I was able to play with Afterburner on, no problem, game didn't freeze or crash, except for the NV driver to crash and recover every 20-30 minutes. Just installed 456.04 driver, gonna play a little see what's what...

Custom Loop: EK Supremacy CPU block, EK GTX 1080ti GPU block, Bitspower C47 fittings & angled adapters, Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 200, Bitspower Pump Top&Mod, AquaComputer D5 PWM pump, Bitspower 12mm tubing, HardwareLabs Nemesis 360 GTS radiators, Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fans, Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 Pro
post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Sorry, I guess I mis-read what you wrote. Thought you just meant it was crashing with that driver. Not the driver itself.
post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Rep: 842 (Unique: 543)
No driver issues here although I forget which driver I use. It's one of the 355 WHQL ones. I have the Steam version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded83 View Post

I never made it far enough in the Dark Descent to see the "monster" or whatever it is that I've seen in videos of people further into the game.

I hear ya though, it's a tough balancing act I suppose between being numb to the scary situations, and so scared you can't even play. I'm very curious and engrossed in this world they've created though, so I'm going to do my best to push through. You're right, it is good to be scared by it as that's what it's supposed to do, sometimes I just can't take any more though! I'm amazed I got through as much of Alien Isolation in the Oculus Rift as I did. And I mainly stopped playing that because I reached a point that I just kept dying over and over, so I became frustraed. Part of that was probably BECAUSE I was playing it in the Rift though.

I share your view on nerves, but with people and scary movies. I keep waiting for one to really scare me! smile.gif

There are many monsters in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Though I suppose telling you this doesn't encourage you lol.
post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

There are many monsters in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Though I suppose telling you this doesn't encourage you lol.

Oh. Well poop. If I can make it through this game, I'll go back and re-try the past ones. smile.gif
post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:46 PM

All right, looks like everything is fine. No more driver crashes with 356.04. Like the game so far (Lambda).

post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 10:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Another hour in and still going strong. Mostly.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Had my first encounter with the pacing robot. Somehow saw me in my hiding spot. So, my character now seems injured and can't run as fast. Limps. Is there some way to fix that? Is there health or other healing things in this game, or just time? I saved and quit about 10 minutes after that, after dodging the thing yet again to get up to the comms center. I'd say that's good enough progress for now.

I'm still VERY much enthralled with the world they've created and even more curious now. Very cool game so far. thumb.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in