THIS Is Why No One Seems To Care About Far Cry New Dawn - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

THIS Is Why No One Seems To Care About Far Cry New Dawn

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
THIS Is Why No One Seems To Care About Far Cry New Dawn

The stats are low, and people are getting fatigued I guess. At least it's real gun play, unlike AC where all the sword fighting just seems to be 'keep clicking attack', I like AC:BF, but never bothered with the others.

IDK what I would like next in FC. I remember how great FC1 was, and how amazing it looked, funny how I remember it more like if it had modern gfx. I loved FC2, the weapons, upgrades, visuals, it still looks pretty dam good. I hated how little u could run without having to tap 'run'. I guess I didn't mind all the outpost respawning. I was just getting into building PCs so to me it was like all next level stuff coming from junk PCs basically.

I only just finished a full play though of FC3, after starting many times since release. The action was great, and for me the story was a just a delay, but I hardly follow stories anyways. I wish the graphics were more towards FC2 than FC1. 1/3 look more cartoony in a way. I didn't like that crazy lady, I didn't choose her at the end, I never had the ending spoiled either.

I've started FC4 at it looks great all maxed out at 1440p. Except a couple off nvidia specific settings that didn't work, not without crazy lighting effects.

I don't like the look of FC:ND, it looks like Overwatch or something, with the colors and hit damage numbers. And I don't like not being able to kill higher level enemies, that aren't just Heavies in heavy armor, without cartoon levels of bullets..makes no sense. The RPG elements, IDK, I'd have to see more or play it.

I would like a FC like the the mercenary side of FC2 crossed with Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. There was a MPoD part 2 and it's a LITERAL turd of a game, nothing like the 1st and looks like a turd too.

And if the FPS fundamentals are there again, I'd have no problem with going more sci-fi again like the 1st FC.

They shouldn't have used the Far Cry name on 2/3/4/5/etc tho.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
It would seem like Farcry would have a great formula, open world, great graphics, smooth running engine, lots of attention to detail - but there is just something missing. There is an element of fun that seems to be missing from FC games. While the earlier ones had good gunplay, and it was fun to swim around in tropical waters with sharks and sneak up under the docks of baddies and jump off of cliffs in hang-gliders, they have really been sticking to somewhat of the same formula, and it's been like that for what - 10 years now? longer?

Assassins Creed has the exact same issue, I haven't finished an AC game since AC:II, it's just not engaging for as long as the game is.

However GTA doesn't have this sort of problem with their games, just as long and detailed and pretty - it remains interesting for pretty much most of the story.

Origin ID: Frostocolypse

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 123 (Unique: 94)
Quote: Originally Posted by Frosty288 View Post
It would seem like Farcry would have a great formula, open world, great graphics, smooth running engine, lots of attention to detail - but there is just something missing. There is an element of fun that seems to be missing from FC games. While the earlier ones had good gunplay, and it was fun to swim around in tropical waters with sharks and sneak up under the docks of baddies and jump off of cliffs in hang-gliders, they have really been sticking to somewhat of the same formula, and it's been like that for what - 10 years now? longer?

Assassins Creed has the exact same issue, I haven't finished an AC game since AC:II, it's just not engaging for as long as the game is.

However GTA doesn't have this sort of problem with their games, just as long and detailed and pretty - it remains interesting for pretty much most of the story.
I always though AC was a boring game but I agree. The issue with FC for me is that it feels like a grind after a while. It's the same thing over and over, go here, take the town climb something tall and harvest animals.
There is a gameplay or story line element that is missing IMO.

GTA is different becasue there are all kinds of characters with different stories and the missions are fairly diverse, adding more playable characters with a shared story with a different POV was a nice change IMO. Not to mention that the entire game feels like someone designed every little detail where FC feels like auto generated stuff for most things and someone put in the elements needed to make a game.
Still waiting for Red Dead

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Linux Evangelist

Rep: 185 (Unique: 147)
Why no one cares about New Dawn(Hell, I forgot what it was called)? Let's see, the series peaked with Far Cry3 which basically did everything right(just played through it again on Steamplay using the No-Uplay crack). Blood Dragon was liquid awesome. FC4 was FC3 with a non-protagonist and a villain that you are supposed to kill because ... reasons. FC Primal was definitely a thing. Primal is absolutely a video game that was produced by Ubisoft. I can't comment about FC5 except to say that it appears their inability to end a game is still intact based on the spoilers I've seen.

Ubisoft has lost it's way because they forgot that you are supposed to CARE ABOUT SOMEONE in the game itself. Nothing about FC5 was interesting enough for me to buy it.

Assassin's Creed stopped being fun in AC3, which was an absolute CHORE. The title has ASSASSIN in it, so naturally you should expect to waste those parkor animations on scaling a cliff-face to retrieve a flower so that one NPC can court another NPC, and oh yeah build Barbies Dream House .... and captain a pirate ship? And I never do in game gambling mini-games so you've given me three such mini-games to choose to ignore. And tug-of-war? *** AM I PLAYING? Not only do you not care about a single person in the game, but the feature creep and bloat is worse than any Windows release EVER. Never bothering with this series again.

So to combat all of this, they are making Far Cry into Fallout: The Division? Okay, I already wasn't going to buy it and from everything I've seen I'm still not going to buy it. I've played that game, it's called Borderlands, and that at least had the sense to not take itself even remotely seriously.

I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway.

If it's not coming out for the PC, it's dead to me.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 15)
Yeah hunting most animals gets old real quick. And once u take over an area, it's never any fun to drive through again without enemies.

What engine is it on? I'd like to use it to make games, if I knew how and had the time.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post
Yeah hunting most animals gets old real quick. And once u take over an area, it's never any fun to drive through again without enemies.

What engine is it on? I'd like to use it to make games, if I knew how and had the time.
I think FarCry is the DUNIA engine

Origin ID: Frostocolypse

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 04:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Theres a new FC game? I remember that I loved the hell out of FC3, but lost interest after that. Are the games still like 3 gameplay wise or is it better or worse?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM
I <3 narcissists

Rep: 203 (Unique: 128)
I haven't disliked any of the FarCry games. I haven't played this one yet, but I will eventually.

I started watching the video, when the guy said "I recently ran a twitter poll" I closed the tab.

El Computer
(15 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate
GPU
Radeon VII
GPU
EVGA 2080ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
CRUCIAL 1TB MX500 M.2
Power Supply
EVGA G3
Cooling
CORSAIR H150I PRO
Case
LianLi PC-O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
LG 32GK850G
Monitor
50" Vizio 4k TV
Keyboard
Logitech G110
Mouse
G.SKILL RIPJAWS MX780 USB
▲ hide details ▲

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Sunday League Jibber

Rep: 641 (Unique: 200)
Quote: Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post
I haven't disliked any of the FarCry games. I haven't played this one yet, but I will eventually.

I started watching the video, when the guy said "I recently ran a twitter poll" I closed the tab.

Haha, I get that. Yeah, I've enjoyed each installment including this. FC2 was probably the high-water mark for me, but I don't get too into any of the grindy aspects, just sort of push through the story.

Farewel happy Fields; Where Joy for ever dwells; Hail horrours, hail; Infernal world, and thou profoundest Hell; Receive thy new Possessor; One who brings; A mind not to be chang'd by Place or Time; The mind is its own place, and in it self; Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.
SuperZan's Doombot
(14 items)
SuperZan's YT-1300
(14 items)
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard
ASRock X370 Taichi
GPU
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Leather Jacket Edition 11GB
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) @ 3200 14-14-14-34 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD (Games)
Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB SSHD (Storage)
Hard Drive
Intel 530 Series 480GB SSD (Linux)
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova G2 850w
Cooling
EK-Supremacy MX CPU Block
Cooling
EK-XRES 100 + DDC Pump
Cooling
XSPC Razor (1080 Ti) GPU Block
Cooling
EK-CoolStream PE 360 Rad
Cooling
XSPC EX280 Rad
Case
Corsair 760T
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
3x Dell D2719HGF 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz Freesync
Keyboard
JAR-OWL J1 Rainbow LED Mechanical
Mouse
Zowie FK1
Mousepad
Razor Firefly
Audio
Plantronics Rig 500e Gaming Headset
Audio
Marantz Pro MPH-1 Monitoring Headphones
Audio
S.M.S.L SD-793II Audio DAC + Headphone Amplifier
Other
Xbox One Controller
Other
Wacom Intuous S Drawing Pad (CTL4100)
CPU
AMD Ryzen R3 1200
Motherboard
ASRock AB350m Pro4
GPU
PowerColor PCS+ R9 380x 4GB
RAM
Samsung 8 GB (2x4GB) @ 2400
Hard Drive
Biostar M200-240 240GB m.2 SATA SSD (Solus)
Hard Drive
Kingston V200 128GB SSD (Windows)
Hard Drive
WD Blue 250GB HDD
Power Supply
Seasonic S12II 430 Bronze 430w
Cooling
AMD Prism RGB Cooler
Case
DIYPC Cuboid-G Black/Green
Operating System
Solus Budgie
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Keyboard
LYILIN 2.4GHz Mini Wireless & Bluetooth Keyboard with Touchpad Mouse
Other
Steam Controller
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
Asrock Z97 Extreme6
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
RAM
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133 10-10-10-28 1T
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD RW
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650w
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Case
Corsair Carbide 300R
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Pixio PX277 27" 2560x1440p 144Hz Freesync
Keyboard
HP Generic
Mouse
Logitech Generic
Audio
HyperX Cloud
▲ hide details ▲

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
One big problem with all ubisoft games is that the driving physics are awful... Like laughably bad. Far cry doesn't suffer too much since driving is not the focus but it's definitely one thing holding their games back. That said, I enjoyed far cry 1-5 and finished them all. The shooting is really good and at least they get that right.

Far cry games feel pretty repetitive though. Sandbox games work great when the AI is good and the vehicles are fun to use. Far cry only gets it about half right.

Still I think Ubisoft has become one of the more stable and honest devs lately. At least you know what to expect, and they do have a good track record of post launch support now.

A true far cry experience is had much better in ghost recon wildlands. Freaking love that game. The driving is still not great in it but everything else is damn near perfect gameplay wise.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti

Last edited by UltraMega; 02-06-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in