[OFFICIAL] Apex Legends Discussion Thread - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[OFFICIAL] Apex Legends Discussion Thread

post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
T 0 P K 3 K

[OFFICIAL] Apex Legends Discussion Thread

Welcome to the official Apex Legends thread

Details done quick:

• This thread is about Apex Legends
  • Game is by Respawn Entertainment, formed by Infinity Ward "alumni"
  • EA hasn't ruined the game yet (Accurate as of Feb 11 2019)
  • Apex Legends was a stealth F2P launch that took the interwebs by storm
  • The game is set in the Titanfall universe, but is not Titanfall 3
  • Primary game mode is a Battle Royale format with 3 man squads
  • 8 unique classes have MOBA and/or Overwatch style abilities
  • Pathfinder may or may not be Chappie
  • Pathfinder is Chappie

Discuss below with reasonable civility. Also post victory screens to claim glory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
I'm really liking the game so far, though I SUCK.

Honestly surprised by how well it launched. FPS could be better (at 1440p) though; 1080ti + 1800X = ~130 frames with everything on low except textures, which are on medium.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Not new to overclock.net

Rep: 134 (Unique: 104)
The shotgun pistol is the worse gun in the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
T 0 P K 3 K

Respawn definitely needs to take a look at the per-shot damage of LMGs and heavy ARs. I get that they're balancing based on DPS but right now I'd rather have a Wingman or Triple Take for medium range combat, which is where LMGs and heavy ARs should excel. This might mean making their cyclic rate of fire slower but that would honestly just make them easier to control and therefore better overall.
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Random Eventer

Rep: 85 (Unique: 75)
Quote: Originally Posted by RikkAndrsn View Post
Respawn definitely needs to take a look at the per-shot damage of LMGs and heavy ARs. I get that they're balancing based on DPS but right now I'd rather have a Wingman or Triple Take for medium range combat, which is where LMGs and heavy ARs should excel. This might mean making their cyclic rate of fire slower but that would honestly just make them easier to control and therefore better overall.
I like to use the LMGs whenever I can and I feel like they're setup for mid-range combat fairly well.
I really hate trying to use them close range hip fire because they don't have that wide of a spread.

I'm starting to use the Wingman more, but I'm still not that accurate with it.

On a side note, if anyone is down to group up let me know.
My name is the same as my username on here.

My HeatWare
Main Computer
(7 items)
CPU
i7-8700
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
GPU
Asus GTX 1080 Strix
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 525GB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair AX760
Cooling
Scythe Fuma Rev. B (SCFM-1100)
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 AM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
So far it seems to me as an Overwatch characters style in king of the hill/last man standing aka nowadays popularized as battle royale after a movie which most players never saw anyway.

Gunplay is, well to put it politely, rubbish. Minimal damage of each round, minimal accuracy, most of view gets blocked by smoke traces as if it's firing some form of super black powder, traces go from anyone so you firing at enemy are blinding yourself with your own fire and enemies firing at you leave huge smoke lines as well making detection of anyone firing at almost any distance very easy visually. Basic weapons are trash well similar to have it is in CoD:BO4 but I liked weapons there more to be honest so far. Mods of weapons play a huge role as they can double magazine size and make weapons usable, something BO4 suffers from as well. Many weapons seem pretty useless as you are never able to dish out enough damage with the paper ammo and small magazine sizes. Having first shot/element of surprise is almost no advantage at all unless you're sniping headshots with which you won't one hit kill anyway at least I haven't seen anyone do it yet and snipers in AL lol, I don't care about them at all and I mean at all, just run around, don't even shoot at them back their chances of hitting you are very small unless you run in a straight line to/from them.
Most fighting happens close range because the weapons are so bad at ranged combat it's not worth even shooting past 100m except to deplete enemie's health/armor recharges and scare their advance.
The Time To Kill/TTK is waaay too high, making it yet another modern spray shooter unfortunately where skill ceiling is rather low making it easy for unskilled to spray and hit and hard for skilled players to aim and kill fast.
Some weapon types are missing, grenade launchers, rocket launchers, anything with a decent damage or AOE that would allow you to OHK.

Audio positioning so far I have no issues with and I suppose from what I remember BO4 was much worse at this? I can tell positions of enemies close and far in AL from movement and fire, so good there on my side.

Lags, endless lags at times, getting hit confirmations locally yet no damage is registered by server. Some people, same as in BO4 lag so badly it breaks the game and gives them an advantage. Far far away from a nice <50ms or LAN.
Most of the engagements are spray and pray, who has a larger magazine automatic weapon, has a 2nd one, can switch faster to it or use the near no damage melee, like really, what's up with that melee, please make melee at least use knives with decent damage instead of this fist tickling, takes around 5 hits to down someone with melee but some people are so bad that even with two pistols and running away they still get fisted to death.

Some characters are useful some not so much. Medic is quite strong as they can heal and deliver gear. The robot might be fun if you can use well it's hook in combat. Bangalore with orbital strike can be annoying as the strike can do quite a bit of damage. Wraith that seems popular is not hard to play but it's hard for team mates to play with, they have to notice your portals and when to use them.

As always 90% of players drop in 1s straight down to run and fist each other trying to scrape for 1 gun. They don't even get what battle royale is and would better be served by a game that is an instant respawns brawl, aka deathmatch/TDM spawning with a weapon in a small map.

That brings me to the map, it's rather small compared to BO4, no vehicles, no boats, no choppers. There is a floating platform with gear but 50% of going there is a brawl.

I don't like the gliding, haven't figured out what's different on it compared to BO4, in BO4 I could glide far and fast yet in AL it doesn't seem to gain speed to glide more far.
Mountains/rock formations are off limits (count down to return to map forces you out in 20-25s), with no loot there, aka you can't hide up high with a sniper and have some fun.

TEAM PLAY ONLY

This is probably along with gunplay the biggest drawback, your entire game depends on a random chance of getting decent team mates if you don't have at least 1-2 friends to play with, considering the game isn't on Steam... who does? Not many.
There are some "clans/teams" but very rare to see so far. Some people can play and probably had early access where they collected hundreds of kill stats and hundreds of thousands of damage, maxed out cosmetics and all characters available. Yet, many of these "top killers" are simply shooters who run and gun until they die often not making it to top 2. Now for me personally, I can collect and run around not fire a shot and end up in top 2 easily while in CoD:BO4 it was harder, definitely harder. The main reasons why I don't make it to top 2 is due to trying to revive my team mates who run and gun instead of moving/running and collecting so I get baited to recover and resurrect them, can do it but it's so far very risky because enemies LOVE to camp corpses to collect loot and get notified about the whole squad not being eliminated yet so they know a 3rd player is alive and often nearby. Recovery is time limited so there is not always enough time for wait for them to go away and going 1 vs 3 is suicide. Dropping 2 with good gear is possible but dropping 3 is not because one sustains so much damage you just keel over no matter how much you use cover or try to heal/recharge. Making soloing annoying as there is almost zero chance you can win top 2 alone.

A good squad is a must same as in any team play game. They really should have added a solo mode even if it's only 60 players instead of 100 of CoD:BO4. Considering how small the map is the lower amount is probably appropriate.

Zone collapsing has not killed me once, it's slow, doesn't collapse far and even if you end up in it it does nearly no damage which is super annoying because 30seconds after zone stops you still get whole teams of people running out of it. The zone is a joke right now and if you have 1 medpack you can run and collect while in it then heal once when you get out. There are definitely better ways and more fun ways to make the zone.

Wingman... saw it but you need to fully kit it out to make it usable and pray that the enemy doesn't lag otherwise all you will do is reload and pray for hits at all. Movements of enemies aren't moving the smoothest when they lag and yes I consider 50ms+ as lagging.

For a F2P I guess it's OK, it has the usual buy ingame coins for cosmetic rubbish. Also giving you extras for characters you don't have, because they are behind a time/paywall, to tease you into investing money to get them sooner.

Matchmaking so far looks very random, low level + high level in a team, new players don't know what todo because the training is about how to play an 80s game aka how to move around with a bunch of keys and not about how the game works, what the goals are, you can't explore attachments or experiment with character abilities.

Oh and there is the typical sliding and jumping nonsense too, of course. It's like playing with rambo terminators being shot at with paper ammo.

If you have friends to play with it's right now probably very easy to win, if you play solo and with randoms... you almost never win because team mates are unable to comprehend how to play a battle royale to make it to top 2 with high gear and even if they are occasionally it still takes at least some skill and luck in warfare.

Do grenades even do any damage? Seems very low, toss 2-3 into a room and it doesn't clean it anyway. Probably small radius and not OHK either.

The wraith portal is not done by placing the ends anywhere, it has to be connected continuously and you cannot do anything else while running the portal distance. This was confusing to me at first compared to Evolve where you can place both ends anywhere at any time, making the portal more useful and easier to use. Wraith dodge is useless because it leaves you visible with a huge afterimage streak that everyone goes follows and shoots you in the back when you drop out of the void space. Having Bangalore is likely more useful with smoke and artillery strike (I call it orbital strike but it's artillery), plus it runs faster when targeted. Medic, Bangalore, are definitely good characters to learn.

FPS is not very stable making drops to 50% in some situations, as such I run low settings even with a 2070 to stay at 144 limiter and only drop to around 100 instead 80 when the engine starts to struggle. Doesn't look much different anyway in the game.
TSAA blurs badly.

Characters have a shiny sparkle around them making everyone easily visible at any distance (at least for me with no AA and a sharp image).

And who the hell thought of making kills so difficult, 1. you drop enemy to the ground, 2. you sometimes have to waste almost as much ammo to kill the crawling enemy who can spot, move relatively fast, defend themselves with shield and be quickly revived by a team mate, 3. even if you kill the crawler their "token" can be recovered in around 1min by team mate and re-spawned in one of the many locations. The game tries so hard to keep people alive with spraying paper ammo and respawns.

No easy distinction between friend or foe, no friendly fire, friendlies are very easy to confuse with enemy when at a distance and no names/indications are present. Or when a friendly runs indoors while you saw them running away but oh no they turned around and ran back indoors you think it's enemy shooting a clip into them = nothing happening why is the enemy not dropping down, only to find out it's a friendly. I so much prefer friendly fire enabled games with at least some distinction of sides by textures.

The HUD is kind of cluttered and at times markers block too much of a view especially when you aim at a marker because there is an enemy yet marker is at full opacity making you see nothing but the marker...

Controls are made for consoles players with gamepads, which makes it look limited and and I'm not a fan of those circular selectors on PC. It's probably an OK console game but for PC standards... not up there with good games.

Character selection is not matchmaked and depends on other random team mates. As in you can't always play what you want so having 3 characters you know is good. Sadly what also happens and the game definitely doesn't deal with is "I didn't get my character, I quit" type of people that screw their squad over.".

Considering how much marketing is being done by EA and as always streamers as far as I read are jumping on any new game to stream it, same thing happening with AL, the thread here seems kind of dead in comparison.

They gotta add solo mode as it would definitely make it more enjoyable than having to deal with randoms screwing over your team when you don't have friends available to play with at the time you play.

It's not too bad, but considering how much money they invested into it... it almost can't be, still many of the choices as always with modern games are to cater to casual run and gunners to spray and pray.

TTK needs to go down big time, downed enemies to stay down in prone not crawl around. DPS and precision go up. Zone damage multiple times up, you get stuck in it for 10s, you're dead, not 90% health. Falling from height open a chute or something to glide, maybe it's possible, BO4 had it too but I didn't use it, right now you fall from 50m height and take no damage, ups, what? Yeah, no damage from falling down of mountains, platforms, buildings.

Someone wants to squad up, PM me, I'm in EU and not sure how long I will play this game, probably try it more over the weekend and that is likely it.

Bugs?
So far around 3, HUD stuck with shield hint after I was revived. Game crash with crash report (was browsing weapons and cosmetics). Game crash with audio playing on a loop = hard reset (while collecting in game).
Not too bad but it could be better.

Last edited by JackCY; 02-15-2019 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 942 (Unique: 579)
I've only got ~3 hours into it and I'm pretty garbage but it's fun. Got carried to my first win on my second game with some randoms though.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 4133
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 6)
I finally might retire PUBG after 1600 hours.

While this game still needs some polish for an initial launch it runs good and has some decent starting point balance. Its loads of fun with friends and the ping based system is very good.

Seems as of lately though players have gotten alot better and figured out the movement system. Lots of enemies I encounter spam hip fire while moving back and forth really quick makes them extremely hard to hit but also there accuracy towards me is ****. Sorta of a double edge sword if you will. For this reason alone LMG seem like best choice.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
According to Origin, I have ~50 hours (lol, didn't realize I had played anywhere near that amount); still garbage. Best way I can think to describe the game is PUBG meets Borderlands.

It is a fun game to pass the time if you have cheap friends (couldn't even get them to spend $5 on SWBF2, which really isn't that bad of a game).
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 285 (Unique: 210)
Ping is nice if your team mates understand that "enemy spotted here" means don't go rushing there or shooting there, but run away enemies are in that direction!
10 hours, 1 win where I had a good squad and they really knew what they were doing. #2 I've lost count by now, the biggest issue is to get team mates that are able to survive that long without run and gun shoot everything they see the moment they see it. Hell I've had whole squads miss me not even 5m away from me in plain sight because people don't scan their surroundings, they just run and don't look around, if you don't shoot them they run by.

It's not a bad game, not "my type of game" though (ultimately I'm not the customer they are targeting with this game). I'm sure for people with 2 friends it's a fun F2P and right now easy wins until the player base gets a little bit hardened by experience over time.
Surviving is easy, collecting good loot about medium, killing enemies with the spray paint guns is hard and takes forever (it's hard because there is low precision and damage of weapons) where in other games you would burst fire someone and they drop dead, in AL you spray out 2 full magazines and have to reload to empty another one before a moving enemy drops dead at close distance. Standing still enemy, takes about 1 mag to kill, way too much.

Armor and weapon upgrades give a lot of advantage, same as CoD:BO4, you don't have gear... you don't live long in any fight.

Hip fire vs aiming down, don't even get me started on that LOL

Learning the guns and their behavior vs how enemies move/glitch/lag takes time, not good at that in AL either. Surviving and collecting gear until top 2, surprisingly easy right now but getting a whole squad of randoms to top 2 is hard as they do have to play along in stealth and collecting gear, choosing a decent location to for final fights, not getting bored there/not tempted to run away or shoot what doesn't need to be shot.

Oh BTW, after start:The Pit is often a Pit of Death and so are most of the supply drop zones, fully kitted weapon zone/high gear zone, etc.

Anyway, off to learn to jump out and glide, there must be some trick to it.

Tags
battle royale , esports , Fps , multiplayer , video game

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in