Resident Evil 7 Biohazard edition: > 10GiB VRAM usage - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard edition: > 10GiB VRAM usage

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 14)
Resident Evil 7 Biohazard edition: > 10GiB VRAM usage

I have Resident Evil 7 Biohazard edition running on a 1080Ti and all the settings maxed (using SMAA), FPS locked to 60 and 1.7 resolution scaling and it's using more than 10GiB of VRAM. The most I've seen to date in any video game. It doesn't seem to have any drops below 60 FPS either.

The usage of VRAM increased when I used the resolution scaling setting. At native resolution, 2560x1440 it used only 6 GiB, so why does upping the resolution scalar increase VRAM usage so dramatically? RE7 is hardly an open world game, although I haven't seen any low resolution textures anywhere.

Last edited by 8051; 02-12-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 02:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Between Forums and Youtube comments, I probably run across this misconception at least a dozen times a day, maybe more. Hopefully some of the big Youtubers like GamerNexus can put out some content addressing this, so that we may finally help people to understand the picture of what's going on here.

Rather than explain this outright, I will instead pose a question to you, and hopefully by answering it, you can understand what this misconception is.

I have an RTX 2080, which has 8GB of VRAM. Using completely identical settings to yours in RE7, my system is showing 7GB, give or take, of total VRAM usage. Yet the game runs exactly the same, looks exactly the same, and has no stuttering whatsoever.

Example 2. Black Ops 4, while running on a Titan RTX, shows total VRAM usage as 16GB. Running the same exact game, on the same exact settings, shows 7Gb of VRAM usage on an 8GB card, yet the game runs and looks exactly the same, with no stuttering.

Ask yourself why this is.

Main Gaming Rig
(9 items)
Alienware Alpha R1
(5 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard
MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
ROG STRIX RTX 2080
RAM
16GB ADATA XPG Z1 DDR4 3000mhz @ 3466mhz
Hard Drive
WD BLUE 1TB
Power Supply
Thermaltake Grand Toughpower RGB 750W GOLD
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Corsair 570X RGB
Operating System
Windows 10
CPU
Intel i7 4785T
GPU
Nvidia 860M 2GB+BlindRageVbios+335Core+650Memory
RAM
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Hard Drive
1TB 7200RPM
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by CelticGamer; 02-12-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Unread 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 60)
It probably is loading how much it can in the available Vram. It doesn't need that much, but it is faster getting "assets" from Vram than the storage device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Unread 02-13-2019, 01:05 AM
mfw

Rep: 359 (Unique: 188)
Quote: Originally Posted by boot318 View Post
It probably is loading how much it can in the available Vram. It doesn't need that much, but it is faster getting "assets" from Vram than the storage device.
There's no doubt that fetching data from the graphics card's own memory is faster, but it might not mean much in practice. The bulk of the more time-sensitive information might fit in well under 11 GB (which is usually the case), so there's wiggle room to manage everything.

CPU
Intel 6700K
Motherboard
Asus Z170i
GPU
MSI 2080 Sea Hawk X
RAM
G.skill Trident Z 3200CL14 8+8
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Hard Drive
Crucial M4 256GB
Power Supply
Corsair SF600
Cooling
Noctua NH C14S
Case
Fractal Design Core 500
Operating System
Windows 10 Education
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS
Keyboard
Cooler Master Quickfire TK
Mouse
Corepadded Logitech G703
Mousepad
Cooler Master MP510
Audio
Fiio E17K v1.0 + Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (B pads)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in