New to Overclock.net
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Justice League Watchtower
I realize this is an older thread...
That being said, the OP has some great ideas and he has done fantastic work.
However, without measuring the ambient temperatures of his CPU, GPU, EDRAM, he is just stabbing in the dark.
What you want to do is get the ambient temperatures for the CPU, GPU, and EDRAM below 50 C.
Some ways to do that are:
(1) Run the fans off of the 12 volt.
* the voltage supplied by the 360 is not enough and only kicks up when temperatures are so high that the console would be damaged anyway. Although no-lead solder melts at 220 C, it begins to deform and warp much earlier. So, if the console is heating up to 100C and cooling down to 60C, the solder joints will get brittle and break.
(2) Install an intake fan blowing air down in the lower right hand corner of the console.
*There must also be a vent installed on the top of the case for this.
*The fan can be a smaller fan, such as a 60 mm or 40 mm, (or two of them) and should not touch the CPU heat sink.
(3) Do not cover the CPU heat sink. Only cover where it connects to the shroud.
(4) Rig two 80mm intake fans to the right side of he XBOX as it is sitting horizontally. Rig an 80 mm exhaust fan to the back of the XBOX 360.
* This should be rigged to their own 12 volt power supply, not that of the XBOX 360.
* The additional internal case fans can also be run from that 12 volt power supply.
(5) Install some vents running along the left side of the console above the DVD drive to compensate for the blocked vents of the hard drive.
(6) The X Clamp mod is unnecessary. Changing the thermal compound is a good idea.
(7) Follow the OPs example of creating a shroud for the GPU and separating the large shroud in the center to divide the air between the CPU and GPU.
By doing those things I was able to drop the ambient temperatures on my Xenon XBOX like so:
CPU --- GPU -- RAM
73°C -- 77°C -- 80°C
CPU ---- GPU ---- RAM
47°C -- 47°C -- 45°C
After playing the XBOX 360 for over an hour the temperatures do not even reach the original ambient temperatures.
After one hour of Gears of War 2
CPU --- GPU -- RAM
59°C -- 69°C -- 55°C