How dangerous is a hard reset actually? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How dangerous is a hard reset actually?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Can it actually harm hardware if your computer freezes and you have to do a hard reset or is the only danger that of corrupting the hard drive?

\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 272 (Unique: 234)
Only thing you really have to worry about is damaging sectors on your hdd or corrupting your mbr. Chkdsk, fixmbr, fixboot commands can all fix those issues 90% of the time.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 PM

No harm. I used to had bsod. Had to force reset. The drive won't bother to boot. It Fix by switching AHCI to IDE thx to Windows 7. After report I switch AHCI, it works perfectly fine. Also my computer is still state of the faster than the general users here that use vertex, black or F4 spinpoint driver. I didn't format the computer over 1 year btw. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
It could causes corruption if power is lost before data is written to disk.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 817 (Unique: 626)
Possible hard drive corruption if power is turned off during a write.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 159 (Unique: 147)
If your PC locks up, you don't have a choice.

otherwise, just reboot.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 94)
I hard reset my laptop every time I shut off my laptop for at least a year and a half straight because of the time it took to shut off and I never had a problem with it.

But I wouldn't recommend it just for the simple fact that it can corrupt a drive.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 42)
The various answers already posted are all correct. Depending on the severity of the freeze that requires a "hot boot", your system may not be able to recover gracefully. Or it may reboot just fine when selecting "Run Windows Normally" option after POST. But as previously stated, what choice do you have? In the non-PC world this is sarcatically known as a "Raytheon Reset."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 11:12 AM

It's like taking a flash drive out of your computer without doing the safety removal thing. Really safety removal is not necessary because as long as nothing is being written on the flash drive you can take it out without worry.

Safety removal is a way of idiot proofing flash drives. Whenever I get mac users putting flash drives in my computer they always ask me to do the safety removal thing and even though the computer isn't using the flash drive they think removing it without the computers permission will make the flash drive explode or something.

A hard shut down of your computer is kinda the same thing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 398 (Unique: 284)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueOptic;13661405 
Can it actually harm hardware if your computer freezes and you have to do a hard reset or is the only danger that of corrupting the hard drive?

It's the freeze that causes the problem. Not the hard reset. But if the computer is NOT frozen and you hard reset it, then yeah...you could have issues. I corrupted my boot sector by doing a hard reset while a virus was installing...had to repair install XP to fix that, as even windows 7 wouldn't boot (since it's a dual boot), as the master partition itself was damaged (W7 saw there was damage but couldn't fix it, as the boot table was on the C: drive, and W7 was on the D: drive, which it changes to C: after it boots).

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in