Which chipset or cpu catered for encoding and video editing? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Which chipset or cpu catered for encoding and video editing?

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Hi folks

As per my sig rig, i am using thuban @ 4ghz. no issue on the chip, mobo or what not but i am using an old 770 chipset. So i wanted to upgrade it to the 990fx

but my friend, after getting the lga2011, wanted to offload his 960 and evga classified to me

i know nuts about intel stuffs. the last intel cpu i had was a celeron smile.gif

main usage of this rig are video editing/encoding/post production and eyefinity games.

my question is the 960 a good change for me even though it is considered an EOL cpu? if i am to get this, when i want to upgrade in the future, i have to replace the whole thing again

advice needed !!

thanks !!

sneaky.gifAMD 4GHz Clubsneaky.gif

Refining my WC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 54 (Unique: 48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrell View Post

Hi folks
As per my sig rig, i am using thuban @ 4ghz. no issue on the chip, mobo or what not but i am using an old 770 chipset. So i wanted to upgrade it to the 990fx
but my friend, after getting the lga2011, wanted to offload his 960 and evga classified to me
i know nuts about intel stuffs. the last intel cpu i had was a celeron smile.gif
main usage of this rig are video editing/encoding/post production and eyefinity games.
my question is the 960 a good change for me even though it is considered an EOL cpu? if i am to get this, when i want to upgrade in the future, i have to replace the whole thing again
advice needed !!
thanks !!

At what cost? For video encoding/editing the 990x is a beast.

Edit: Got my proc's mixed up. I wouldn't change.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=45

Battlelog Profile (Add me!)
Heatware
Warning: Quote(s)! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin go_quote.gif

Oh well, least it will be able to run minecraft like a boss.
Blah. Blah. Blah. Who cares?

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 100)
In multi threaded work the 960 is actually slightly better than the 1100T, but don't think it justifies a swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 148)
If it was a 970 cpu then it might be worth it if the price was right since I cant find any reviews of the 960. But since its a quad you might lose speed vs your 6 core since the increase of the performance from HT might actually pay off.

[CENTER]http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=376310
[CENTER]My FIrst Quad @ 3.2ghz with a .075Vcore increase

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorxrx View Post

At what cost? For video encoding/editing the 960x is a beast.

for the intel setup, mobo/cpu/waterblock $390usd
for the 990fx motherboard, im lookng at asrock extreme 4, so its basically less 200usd

Refining my WC...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post

In multi threaded work the 960 is actually slightly better than the 1100T, but don't think it justifies a swap.

yup..dats what i thought too. if the difference in performance is >30%, i would consider but im not sure so here i am asking in the intel forum smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraprime View Post

If it was a 970 cpu then it might be worth it if the price was right since I cant find any reviews of the 960. But since its a quad you might lose speed vs your 6 core since the increase of the performance from HT might actually pay off.

to what extent? the asrock mobo is abt 160 and i can reuse my cpu block. i can save about 230usd

is the performance significant for the price difference?

Refining my WC...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 100)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrell View Post

yup..dats what i thought too. if the difference in performance is >30%, i would consider but im not sure so here i am asking in the intel forum smile.gif

It's no where near 30%!

Check THIS out, that's a comparison of the 1100T with an extreme edition 965X. In multi threaded Cinebench they're tied, and in all the encoding benchmarks the difference is under 5%.

The only thing I'd upgrade to if I were you is a 3930K, or a 2600K if you don't want to spend a too much.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post

It's no where near 30%!
Check THIS out, that's a comparison of the 1100T with an extreme edition 965X. In multi threaded Cinebench they're tied, and in all the encoding benchmarks the difference is under 5%.
The only thing I'd upgrade to if I were you is a 3930K, or a 2600K if you don't want to spend a too much.

thanks for the link. i had a look-through, yeah some of the multi-threaded work (encoding, rendering) thuban still edge out and i did a comparison with the 3930K and 2600K too

To change to a sbe or a sb is way too expensive for me. major overhaul, and i dont think they have a waterblock for it yet.

well seems like if i wanna change my thuban, i have to get the high end of its chipset to make it worthwhile, 2600K or 3930K

anyways thanks for the help guys, will upgrade to a 990fx motherboard instead.

+reps for you all !! thanks

Refining my WC...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in