3930k Build - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

3930k Build

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 34)
Okies, so a few months back I acquired an Intel i7-3930k for basically pennies in terms of it's actual cost.. I've been chopping and changing with ideas of what to get or do with it..
The first of my ideas, builds, I had in mind is below. Featuring a P9X79 at heart. (See Signature/Profile)

CPU: Intel 3930k
Mobo: ASUS P9X79
RAM: 8x4GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 1600MHz
Case: NZXT Phantom / AeroCool Strike-X ST
SSD: 240GB Mushkin Chronos deluxe
GPU: Undecided still.
PSU: Antec HCP-1200 / Seasonic X-1250 (Decided I might want to go large and just leave plenty of spare overhead.)

That's the baseline that probably will need expanding when budget permits and cash starts to flow in.

Another idea, which has no parts to it at present. Is to build a mATX LGA2011 rig. Something fairly small but extremely potent..

I'm considering going to The Gathering in Norway next year. Money and job permitting. And taking something small but packed full of all niceties and storage space.

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions as to what I can go for?

I don't and won't have a limitless budget, I'm not going to be splashing out £800 on Graphics cards. No way whatsoever, not when I still adore my Unlocked 6950 in Hoshi.

Update 16/10/2012
Added / displaying this image here, just as a little proof I am actually trying to work on this project rolleyes.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 07:26 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Sweet!!, i love the build! thumbsupsmiley.png

but i recomend Asus rampage iv extreme since of the ocing but my opinion thumb.gif

i know people will say otherwise on ram size but id say 16gb is best for long term and for those times ur gpu might not have enaugh vram.
i really looking forward to see your build!!! cheers.gif

Kind regards
Dina
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 14)
I'm with DinaAngel. I'd go for the Asus RIVE or the P9X79 Deluxe (I actually have the Deluxe, and I love it. The RIVE is probably better, though). I'd also go for a 4 x 8GB kit rather than an 8 x 4GB kit. The fewer number of DIMMs, the less chance you will run into problems overclocking the memory. I'd suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Redline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz (1.5v) kit (simply because I have it and it runs great... I haven't tried overclocking them, though).

Everything else is stuff I'd like to have, too. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 437 (Unique: 314)
Drop that PSU down a lot... I mean you can run quad SLI 680s on that thing... Drop down to a quality 750W and grab a second 6970.

Get a better SSD and drop the ram to 4x4GB sticks. you will never need more than 8GB of RAM for gaming anyways, and 4 sticks will give you the quad channel support.

Software Engineer in Satellite CommunicationsFaceepalm Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm go_quote.gif

Office + 3 monitors = more than 8gb.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 go_quote.gif

A PC from 2000 can play Crysis at 20FPS. Playable.
Apparently 20 FPS is playable kookoo.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaAngel go_quote.gif

how come i get 30 more fps with 16 gb than 8gb?
Aparently un-used ram can give you a 30 FPS boost! doh.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0st. go_quote.gif

Your motherboard burst into flames.

No, you cannot use it.
Clubs/Validations (Click to show)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

Drop that PSU down a lot... I mean you can run quad SLI 680s on that thing... Drop down to a quality 750W and grab a second 6970.
Get a better SSD and drop the ram to 4x4GB sticks. you will never need more than 8GB of RAM for gaming anyways, and 4 sticks will give you the quad channel support.
im running corsair 1200i psu

and cache faults goes down with more ram
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

I know, I know. I don't need more than 16GB of RAM, by far. But I do regularly need more than 8GB so it's a sacrifice I'll happily make.
Plus when games start breaking the x86 rut I'm expecting to see RAM usage amount jump steadily upwards. So that 'never' statement might be short lived. I know the 3930k will last long enough to see such changes in gaming too..

Quick note on the HD6970, guessing it makes more sense to the the 70 (than 50) as I have an unlocked 50 already and standard 50 would bring my unlock back down to 50 standards.

Also, as the bearer of bad news I am, I might have to put this build off even longer.. TV in my room is definitely on the fritz, I've held out for the last 5-6 months now but it's beyond it's usage hours and way into end of life status.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 AM
The debug-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaAngel View Post

im running corsair 1200i psu
and cache faults goes down with more ram

Cache fault != page fault (which is what I believe you meant). smile.gif
Anyway if he wants 16GB of RAM, I say get it 'cause who cares!!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowEW View Post

Also, as the bearer of bad news I am, I might have to put this build off even longer.. TV in my room is definitely on the fritz, I've held out for the last 5-6 months now but it's beyond it's usage hours and way into end of life status.

Hint: 3930K build + SiliconDust HDHomeRun TV Tuner == double win!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompsonn View Post

Cache fault != page fault (which is what I believe you meant). smile.gif
Anyway if he wants 16GB of RAM, I say get it 'cause who cares!!

no the cache is faulty packs from ram, if u have 32gb ram then it will be lower than if u have 16, 8gb then its alot, 4gb then is extreme alot, if u have 128gb ram, then it will be extreme low.

i care about ShadowEW
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0BOX View Post

Hint: 3930K build + SiliconDust HDHomeRun TV Tuner == double win!

Haha, I have a PCIe TV Tuner laying around boxed somewhere. But that's not really of much bother to me. About the old channels I watched are BBCThree of an evening, or Film4. rolleyes.gif

I'm a console gamer much more than I am a PC gamer (Even if I do spend more time on the PC) and I do like to have all my tech hooked up at the same time. (Call it laziness, but I prefer it all connected and wire managed as well as I can)
At present, I still have connected:
Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Nintendo GameCube, Pioneer DVD Player, Panasonic VHS Player.
I also have the Playstation 3 setup on a basic component output for Streaming / Recording @ 480p via USB.. (I'd make much more use getting a HDMI capture card / DVI-HDMI Convertor / Soundcard for SPDIF than a HD Tuner ~rolleyes.gif)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaAngel View Post

i care about ShadowEW
wubsmiley.gif Dina ~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in