[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside] - Page 221 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was my review helpful?
Yes 251 95.08%
No 13 4.92%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside]

post #2201 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 03:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
So I've set my qpi to 6.4gt and it won't boot anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2202 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nievz View Post

So I've set my qpi to 6.4gt and it won't boot anymore.

Yeah its normal...
6.4 GT is for your 133 BCLK at stock frequency/multiplier stepping for the stock CPU
You are at 185 BCLK from what I see in your screenshot...
A simple math (I don't know how that math equation is called in english but in french its called une règle de 3) will show that in fact the 6.4 GT would turn out to be 6.4 x 185 / 133 = 8.9022 GT which is quite a lot and I don't think your system would be able to boot that frequency...
post #2203 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post

Yeah its normal...
6.4 GT is for your 133 BCLK at stock frequency/multiplier stepping for the stock CPU
You are at 185 BCLK from what I see in your screenshot...
A simple math (I don't know how that math equation is called in english but in french its called une règle de 3) will show that in fact the 6.4 GT would turn out to be 6.4 x 185 / 133 = 8.9022 GT which is quite a lot and I don't think your system would be able to boot that frequency...

I think the word you're looking for is multiply and multiplied, it is called the multiplier.

4 multiplied by 2 = 8

You can multiply 4 by 2 and get 8 for an answer.

I always have had to set it to the lowest to boot too.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife.
Case, Schatt Morgan, Frank Beltrame, Hubertus, Weidmannsheil, Al-Mar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2204 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1024 View Post

I think the word you're looking for is multiply and multiplied, it is called the multiplier.

4 multiplied by 2 = 8

I don't think so, The equation I'm talking about is the one thats describing the formula in which you do the triangle to find the 4th number missing with the 3 you have already (sorry I'm describing it since I only know it in french) by doing the multiply then divide to obtain the missing value.
post #2205 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:

4 multiplied by 2 = 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1024 View Post

I actually understands @EvilMonk's explanation more clearly..

post #2206 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Kana you've said that:
"Vdroop is doing it's job. People who mess around with Vdroop will probably damage their CPUs quicker anyways. Seeing 1.296v is normal if you didn't mess with Vdroop settings. The question is what's the vCore when your PC is Idle? Does it jump back up to 1.375v? Also 1.375v is to high for a 4Ghz overclock. "

On my motherboard i have option Vdrop[disable/enable] and right now its disbaled (continuosly 1.33V). You're saying that its bad for CPU's?
post #2207 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 198 (Unique: 128)
Well I'm saying that it's there for a reason [a good reason]. The only reason you have the ability to modify or completely remove the function is due to overclocking enthusiast. My board uses has an option named "LLC" instead of Vdroop and I run with it set to AUTO or Disabled depending on the overclock situation. Since your MB actually says "Vdroop" I would probably leave that enabled. However, we love to abuse CPUs for performance so technically you can use whatever settings you want. Also Vdroop is good for CPUs. The last thing you want is your voltage spiking and it will between idle and loads. There are a few ways to attempt to counter disabled Vdroop. Some people use Dynamic Vcore \ Offset to counter this, but it won't resolve the obvious problem. I don't think you want your CPU to run continuously @ 1.33v during Idle and\or load. That's were vdroop and dynamic vCore kicks in in.

If you give me sometime I'll try to run some personal test on my rig later this week to explain the reasoning even better. In your case I would leave Vdroop on, but you will more than likely get a BSOD. That's completely up to you.
post #2208 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

so with 1.33 i was able to hit 4,3Ghz and complete intel burn test with 15 runs. Temps, as u can see are pretty high(on the warmer CPU) but it was on AC with case closed and no others "cooling devices". In IDLE 15-31, in games i see around max 50 degrees. VTT-1.325 VDIMM - 1.6V
Those settings are safe for 24/7 use?

What is more important lets go back to the Vdroop topic:

Bios settings -
without Vdroop
CPU0 Vcore -1.33125
CPU1 Vcore - 1.35625
Bios/eleet readings for both CPU's vcore - 1.329V (during IDLE and stress)

Bios settings - i tried to find voltage for 4.3 but i will not risk and i will give u maximum voltages i've tried:
with Vdroop
CPU0 Vcore -1.35125
CPU1 Vcore - 1.38755
Bios/eleet readings for vcore - 1.36(IDLE)/1.29(STRESS)
and computer crashed with these settings

Maybe i'm thinking wrong but isn't the first option safer?
found that sentece:
"Alternatively what's good about this, is that under idle or low load, your core voltage is lower, generating less heat and using less power, and ramps up nicely to enable high load overclocks to be more stable."

in my case voltage is not jumping under load.
post #2209 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 198 (Unique: 128)
It would be easier if you post your PC specs as well. So you are running 2 processors. The first option is completely wrong if you go by Intel specs, but we are overclockers and this is what we want to do. I wouldn't feel comfortable running 1.33v & 1.36v through my CPU[-s-] 24/7, but you would. There's nothing wrong with how "you" want to run your gaming rig. I'm just saying that Idle + Load shouldn't be the same voltage. Load voltage is generally lower and sometimes much lower than the Idle voltage. Thanks to Dynamic vCore, it will definitely help keep temps and voltage down [as well as Vdroop]. C-states adds to the mix even more.

If option 1 is what you ned to run your rig then go with option 1 thumb.gif. Overclocking with Vdroop + dynamic vCore can be tricky, but will be worth it in the long run. Since it can be difficult the manufactures gave us what we wanted & added LLC\Vdroop options [plus a ton of other options as well].
post #2210 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Actually i've reached 4320Mhz with Vdropp disabled (1.329V on Both CPUs, VTT - 1.325 and ram 1.6V) I tried to reach this with Vdroop Enabled and it was impossible. I needed to set in bios more than 1.4V(compared to 1.33125 with Vdroop disabled) which still was not enough(i stopped because i dont want to dmg my CPU's)

my spec:
2x. X5670 (BCLK 180Mhz with Turbo, speedstep and C1E)
Evga SR2
12Gb ram
GTX670
Antec HCP 1000W

And i dont have different voltage on those CPUs (my motherboard require higher value in bios to give the same voltage on the second CPU)

Both CPU's are running with 1.329V
Vtt1.325
IOH 1.35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in