[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside] - Page 222 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was my review helpful?
Yes 251 95.08%
No 13 4.92%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside]

post #2211 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 198 (Unique: 128)
This is why I stated "Since it can be difficult the manufactures gave us what we wanted & added LLC\Vdroop options". Overclocking with Vdroop can be difficult and rather confusing. I see where you are coming from and you aren't the first to that focus solely on voltage. Anything below 1.35v "is good" and you'll probably never see the spikes, but the CPU will handle the voltage differently depending on your settings. 1.329v is what you see, but that doesn't mean that's the end of the story. I personally still wouldn't run 1.33v [1.329v] 24/7 through my CPU. Just know that vdroop is there for a good reason. If you choose to use it or not I can't argue with that.

Edit:
Also as I stated above. I will attempt to run some test throughout the week and post proof behind my reasoning. I live a fairly busy life so I try to do as much as I can whenever I can.

Another Edit:
I just saw all of the edits you made as well. I guess I might now have to run test or anything like that. Also I don't get along with that website you posted lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2212 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 156 (Unique: 132)
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelchief View Post

Actually i've reached 4320Mhz with Vdropp disabled (1.329V on Both CPUs, VTT - 1.325 and ram 1.6V) I tried to reach this with Vdroop Enabled and it was impossible. I needed to set in bios more than 1.4V(compared to 1.33125 with Vdroop disabled) which still was not enough(i stopped because i dont want to dmg my CPU's)

my spec:
2x. X5670 (BCLK 180Mhz with Turbo, speedstep and C1E)
Evga SR2
12Gb ram
GTX670
Antec HCP 1000W

And i dont have different voltage on those CPUs (my motherboard require higher value in bios to give the same voltage on the second CPU)

Both CPU's are running with 1.329V
Vtt1.325
IOH 1.35

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Vdroop really just what naturally happens when you draw current in any electrical system, ever (causing voltage to fall)? And "disabling" vdroop actually causes the VRMs to increase voltage as current draw increases in order to maintain a more constant voltage?

MacBook
(12 items)
CPU
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v
Motherboard
P6T7 WS Supercomputer
GPU
MSI 7970 GHz Edition
GPU
HIS 6950
RAM
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27
Hard Drive
intel 480GB 520 series
Hard Drive
Momentus XT
Power Supply
AX850
Cooling
INX-720
Case
PC-Z60
Operating System
win7pro
Monitor
Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24"
Monitor
Dell 24" 1200p
Monitor
Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers)
Keyboard
Dell Quietkey
Mouse
Logitech G5
CPU
T7500
Motherboard
Laptop Motherboard
GPU
GMA X3100
RAM
2x2GB DDR2 667
Hard Drive
intel X-25M
Optical Drive
HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N
Power Supply
MagSafe
Cooling
Heatpipe & blower
Monitor
1280x800 TN
Keyboard
Apple US
Mouse
trackpad
Audio
Intel High Definition Audio
▲ hide details ▲

post #2213 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
so it looks like i have to spend the night to find stable settings with Vdroop on. But when i want to have ~1.3V under load, in IDLE voltage will reach probably 1.4V - its not safe i think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2214 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
Kana, So is LLC bad then? I use it all the time on all my rigs because it counter Vdroop. I know it's there for a reason but i thought it's better to counter it so that the voltage doesn't drop. Without it, any OC i run seems to fail UNLESS i set it close to 1.4V

Is this a sign of degradation?(I hope thats the right word x.x)
post #2215 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Please stop posting anandtech stuff in my topics. I had something short of a scuffle with that sites administrators and moderators. So if you guys could just edit those links it would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GENXLR View Post

lil off topic, perfect example of

Other than that XD

Kana, So is LLC bad then? I use it all the time on all my rigs because it counter Vdroop. I know it's there for a reason but i thought it's better to counter it so that the voltage doesn't drop. Without it, any OC i run seems to fail UNLESS i set it close to 1.4V

Is this a sign of degradation?(I hope thats the right word x.x)

YES!!!! Joking lmao. It might not be a sign of degradation and then again it could be. We have plenty of headroom, but some users want unrealistic results. Especially users who doesn't really need "that" much performance. In so many words you could argue that LLC is bad, however, an overclocker might think otherwise. There are a few tricks and counters though. LLC is there solely for overclocking. I think it takes much more skill to OC with Vdroop than it does without it. I guess I'm taking OC to a sports level or something lol.
post #2216 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

just one more question Kana-Maru. What maximum voltage in IDLE u think is safe for longer period of time? 1.35? (I've seen your voltage for 4.6Ghz - 1.45 for me looks like - devil.gif )
post #2217 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 18)
Quote:

just one more question Kana-Maru. What maximum voltage in IDLE u think is safe for longer period of time? 1.35? (I've seen your voltage for 4.6Ghz - 1.45 for me looks like - devil.gif )

1.45 is possible to use for short periods of time... Its a chip burner in the long term... I'd stay away from that voltage at all cost if possible... .135v as a 24/7 voltage is reasonable
post #2218 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

What monk said smile.gif. I'll elaborate a bit more.
Quote:

First of all I think you meant "4.8Ghz" smile.gif. My 4.6Ghz OC runs at 1.34v - 1.358v 4.8Ghz runs at 1.456v. Also the voltage isn't constant. I'm not running max voltages during Idle and loads. Even with minor loads [10% - 40%] my CPU doesn't run at the maximum voltage.

I believe my 4.6Ghz Idle voltage averaged around 1.1v something. My 4.8Ghz Idle was 1.1 something as well. I honestly would have to either test again or find my old post. So the Idle voltages are perfectly fine. Whenever I run 4.8Ghz @ 1.45v it is solely for benchmarks or gaming [1.45v is not the idle].

So the maximum idle voltage that I feel is safe is anything under 1.15v. I think that's a safe number for high overclocks. Minor OCs [3.6Ghz - 4Ghz] will probably be closer to 0.09v - 1.0v
post #2219 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

aft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Maru View Post

First of all I think you meant "4.8Ghz" smile.gif. My 4.6Ghz OC runs at 1.34v - 1.358v 4.8Ghz runs at 1.456v. Also the voltage isn't constant. I'm not running max voltages during Idle and loads. Even with minor loads [10% - 40%] my CPU doesn't run at the maximum voltage.

I believe my 4.6Ghz Idle voltage averaged around 1.1v something. My 4.8Ghz Idle was 1.1 something as well. I honestly would have to either test again or find my old post. So the Idle voltages are perfectly fine. Whenever I run 4.8Ghz @ 1.45v it is solely for benchmarks or gaming.

So the maximum idle voltage that I feel is safe is anything under 1.15v. I think that's a safe number for high overclocks. Minor OCs [3.6Ghz - 4Ghz] will probably be closer to 0.09v - 1.0v

yep wink.gif my fault -4.8Ghz

Idecided to turn on Vdroop and started from the beginning.

How it's possible that your IDLE voltages are so low?! confused.gif Can u tell me what vaules in BIOS are choosed for CPu voltages?
My IDLE Voltages according to Bios/eleet/cpu'z are 1.37 but during stress voltage is droping down to 1.31V - that gives me stable(for now - still testing) 4.2Ghz. Did you turn on some options in Bios(i mean for example c1e?)
post #2220 of 8155 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Maru View Post

I believe my 4.6Ghz Idle voltage averaged around 1.1v something. My 4.8Ghz Idle was 1.1 something as well. I honestly would have to either test again or find my old post. So the Idle voltages are perfectly fine. Whenever I run 4.8Ghz @ 1.45v it is solely for benchmarks or gaming [1.45v is not the idle].

Basically I can only give a simple explanation since all I learned here came from you... I can cover the basic stuff but the deeper explanations you have to take care of that since you know a lot more than I do since you and the guys here are the one that I learned everything I know from thumb.gif

**Edit**
I should get the haswell Xeon E3-1246V3 and the motherboard tomorrow both cleared customs in Montreal around 5PM so they should get delivered around noon tomorrow... I received the 32Gb of G.Skill Trident X DDR3 2400 CL10 today and I just feel like I won't have lots of overclocking room with that thing since its locked and they don't really overclock with the bclk...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in