[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside] - Page 246 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was my review helpful?
Yes 251 95.08%
No 13 4.92%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside]

post #2451 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 AM

Right - I'm going to start overclocking from today using

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Please can some people post frequencies, voltages and temps they use and see?!

I'm not just being lazy - this is a 245 page thread and it's nigh-on impossible to find anything easily.

Also - can people confirm these maximum/limit voltages for me:

80C is safe 24/7 limit [100=always autothrottle and will prevent damage?]

1.35 VCore [intel spec] - could be exceed a little with enough cooling, perhaps 1.4ish

1.35 VTT [uncore, memory controller, QPI] -- ESPECIALLY WITH RAM:UNCORE AT 1:2***** YES? [I tried to read the techdoc, but it's impossible to calculate I think - I would expect to run my Uncore at 3200 24/7 unless that's a bad idea or the bench figures actually drop as I raise it.

RAM:VTT <0.5V [shouldn't be an issue for me with 1.5V RAM I think]

Max Multiplier available 23 or 24 with Turbo ON

I am aiming for a safe 24/7 overclock, perhaps 4GHZ? i am also aiming for a safe Bench/Gaming overclock [hotter, but still 100% safe] - perhaps 4.4+GHz

Please - some feedback?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2452 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk View Post

Best way to answer that is to have monitoring software running while you game. If your framerate drops, Alt-Tab out and see why. GPU at 100% means you're GPU limited. Same for CPU.

1440p is a demanding resolution for one card in some games.

hmm at most only 2 of my core are around 30-40% during games. my 290 is hovering between 80-100% gpu usage

HTC Evo - MynTwoTower - pCollinBatt - Froyo

post #2453 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 08:25 AM

That looks like GPU limitations, yes.

Try overclocking the GPU using the AMD Catalyst utility and watch your framerate. Very linear clock/FPS scaling would confirm it, though this may be complicated by cooler limitations..... so....

What are your GPU temps in game?

Is is a reference-cooled card?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2454 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 08:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 29 (Unique: 28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastserstripe View Post

That looks like GPU limitations, yes.

Try overclocking the GPU using the AMD Catalyst utility and watch your framerate. Very linear clock/FPS scaling would confirm it, though this may be complicated by cooler limitations..... so....

What are your GPU temps in game?

Is is a reference-cooled card?

its a asus 290x DC2. Already overclocked to 1100. Hmmm does this mean i should consider crossfire?

HTC Evo - MynTwoTower - pCollinBatt - Froyo

post #2455 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Crossfire should help [up to 2x performance in theory], but with those cards it's worth investigating whether you're really holding the boost clocks during gaming.

Run MSI Afterburner or a similar program which can record the clocks and check it.

I'm not over familliar with these fiddly Boost settings, I use a Sapphire 7970 at 1160 and the clocks hold during gaming. I increased the power budget in the catalyst utility. I think that if I hadn't the clocks might reduce themselves.

Crossfire will also require shedloads of PSU power.
post #2456 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 AM

I have another question, actually.

How do people prevent OS corruption when testing overclocks? I have a lot of things I need to use my PC for in the coming months, and a borked OS would be quite an issue.

I would happily use a Linux distro, but I don't think there are any with proper core temp monitoring facilities.

Tips?
post #2457 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 30 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastserstripe View Post

I have another question, actually.

How do people prevent OS corruption when testing overclocks? I have a lot of things I need to use my PC for in the coming months, and a borked OS would be quite an issue.

I would happily use a Linux distro, but I don't think there are any with proper core temp monitoring facilities.

Tips?

You could make an ISO/backup of your computer right after you install the OS and monitoring software.
Do the OC and get it set where you want it, good and stable.
Then do a restore from your back up. Then you know all the files are in good condition.

I run Linux Ubuntu on a few systems and I can't find good monitoring programs for Intel.
Psensor works ok for temps and fan speed but finding clock speed is sketchy at best from what I have found.

I have had better luck with AMD monitoring software in Linux, but it will not work for Intel.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife.
Case, Schatt Morgan, Frank Beltrame, Hubertus, Weidmannsheil, Al-Mar

post #2458 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 8 (Unique: 6)
The method mentioned for determining bottle necks doesn't help :/ my Workstation's GPU doesn't hit near 80% gpu or CPU, but the games are around 30-45fps while my main rig is at 60.
post #2459 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 698 (Unique: 562)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Maru View Post

EXACTLY OCmember, that's what I was getting at. Since these Xeon CPUs will sell easily on the X58 platform some people will purchase a couple of them. They are cheap and they will make at least 90% or more of their money back very easily. They are basically abusing the hell out of these CPUs while digging for the "golden chip". Shoving vCore into the CPUs more than likely. If it doesn't hit a high OC then they'll re-sell them to whomever will buy them. I usually buy from a company or a seller who has tons of Xeons. There will always be defectives with anything in electronics for sure, but you have less of a headache when you figure out what resellers are doing. I doubt if a seller with 50 - 200+ will be digging for the best CPU. I've been trying to warn people to stop buying from sellers who own 1-5 or some other small number. They price is good, but the CPUs probably won't hit 4.2Ghz - 4.4Ghz easily [which is why they are reselling them]. Just saying.

Stahp telling all my secrets! sozo.gif

biggrin.gif
post #2460 of 8142 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:31 AM

What GPU and what games? If it's a Workstation GPU [FirePro/Quadro] it might not behave the same way, especially running games. Mostly this is due to the way the drivers work. Gaming GPUs focus on fast calculations, workstation ones focus on accuracy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in