[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside] - Page 614 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Was my review helpful?
Yes 251 95.08%
No 13 4.92%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - Xeon X5660-X58 Review & Discussion [and Xeon L5639 benchmarks inside]

post #6131 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 198 (Unique: 128)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utking View Post

Overclocking the pcie bus makes a lot more sense now, my 950 pro went up to 1920/977 from 1670/920.

Don't worry i know the risks of overclocking the pcie bus though! wink.gif

Good luck. Let us know when something dies. Most people never say anything after they kill something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6132 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 07:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Maru View Post

Good luck. Let us know when something dies. Most people never say anything after they kill something.

As long as i'm not the one to die, i'll let you know^^ this drive coupled with this cpu is blazing fast, it's unreal!

Have you killed anything kana-maru?

I smoked one of my hd4870 some years ago, the VRM's went up in smoke after an successful vrm mod:P
post #6133 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

After pcie set to 115mhz.

What do you guys think of the QPI link in CPU-z? i know for a fact that i put it at 2800mhz in bios, but how come it shows 3420 in cpu-z?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6134 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
lol PCIe to 115MHz, you will more than likely blow something on your board, or something connected to it

post #6135 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:07 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 39 (Unique: 21)
Quote:
Most people never say anything after they kill something.

Yes they do! They say: "Oh frack".

@utking Well done, kinda. TBH I don't think you're going to notice 2-300MHz on top of what you already have, so unless it's necessary or, unless you know something I don't about overclocking PCIE, I'd set it back to stock dude.

Perhaps file under "Interesting exercise"?
post #6136 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Hmm. Set my IOH to 1.2v, left the QPI PLL at 1.3v, for 3.6GHz QPI Link and it's doin fine. If I change the QPI PLL to 1.2v (3.6GHz) and keep the IOH at 1.2v RealBench crashes upon booting it. Seems IOH and QPI PLL don't necessarily have to be equal volts although it does make sense the way it was recommended to keep them the same volts. thinking.gif

post #6137 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

As long as i'm not the one to die, i'll let you know^^ this drive coupled with this cpu is blazing fast, it's unreal!

Have you killed anything kana-maru?

I smoked one of my hd4870 some years ago, the VRM's went up in smoke after an successful vrm mod:P

Heck yeah. It's was very frustrating as well. Thankfully I kept my "main" data on a different drive. I lost a lot of info messing around with the PCIe Frequency. My friend lost his sound and SSD. His Ethernet port went out temporarily. So have my friends. There's certain things you avoid if possible.
post #6138 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Heck yeah. It's was very frustrating as well. Thankfully I kept my "main" data on a different drive. I lost a lot of info messing around with the PCIe Frequency. My friend lost his sound and SSD. His Ethernet port went out temporarily. So have my friends. There's certain things you avoid if possible.

Not saying i don't belive you or anything, but i've heard stories of other people runnind at 115 and 120 for years without problems.

When you messed around with pcie, did you keep voltages locked or on auto?mi could see the motherboard raising the voltages, thereby frying stuff. but i can't understand why things should break because of a higher frequency.
post #6139 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Not saying i don't belive you or anything, but i've heard stories of other people runnind at 115 and 120 for years without problems.

When you messed around with pcie, did you keep voltages locked or on auto?mi could see the motherboard raising the voltages, thereby frying stuff. but i can't understand why things should break because of a higher frequency.

The PCie Frequency doesn't have voltage. Only numbers. I've hit 5.4Ghz and never had to touch PCIe. I have some pretty fast SDDs and a very fast SSD that contains my OS. You'll never notice the difference unless you actually have programs that you use a lot that will benefit from fast SSD speeds. I've learned that not all programs benefit from leaving traditional HDDs.

Also it's your rig. Do with it as you like man. It's your money and your stuff. I only try to help people prevent damage. That's all.
post #6140 of 8131 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

The PCie Frequency doesn't have voltage. Only numbers. I've hit 5.4Ghz and never had to touch PCIe. I have some pretty fast SDDs and a very fast SSD that contains my OS. You'll never notice the difference unless you actually have programs that you use a lot that will benefit from fast SSD speeds. I've learned that not all programs benefit from leaving traditional HDDs.

Also it's your rig. Do with it as you like man. It's your money and your stuff. I only try to help people prevent damage. That's all.

Yes and i appreciate that! smile.gif But you said yourself that you lost a lot of data when messing with the pcie, so i was wondering if you locked the pcie voltage at the same time? if you upped the frequenzy without locking the voltage, the motherboard may have done it for you.

Dunno, but i can't for the life of me understand how it can ruin something, at the worst it should make a bsod, or maybe corrupt a couple of files, but OS would crash the the system if it figured out something was wrong.

unless the pcie voltage was raised ofc, that could explain alot.

Edit: Also i noticed a big increase in both booting speed, and regular usage with this one. And after the pcie clock i sometimes don't even see the loading screen.
It made a huge improvement over both my samsung 840 pro and the intel x25 drive!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in