[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 1446 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?
More than 1 year 69 11.73%
More than 2 years 30 5.10%
More than 3 years 45 7.65%
More than 4 years 58 9.86%
More than 5 years 117 19.90%
More than 6 years 269 45.75%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14451 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 15
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by HelpDatBIOS View Post
@Slayer3032 - if you need microcode updates that don't brick, let me know what BIOS and I'll update them all for you.
What are micro code updates?

What bios version should I install on the ud3r board? The newest one?
Hill160881 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14452 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Dhiru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 108
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dhiru View Post
I think Kingston rams are not good for the X58 platform. I currently have Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz 16GB (2x8GB) kits, which I had bought locally. I was very much limited with choices since DDR3 kits were rare in the local market. Although the online reviews of this ram are very good, I just can't get the most out of it.

It's impossible for me to get Copy speeds above 25000 MB/s. I get the following results with 9-11-11-25 timings.



These are the XMP settings in AIDA. I have tried every ram timing, even CL11 which seems to give the same approximate results (Give or take 1000 MB/s).



I can't increase the uncore over 3600Mhz since my board only allows uncore increments in a multiple of 2. I can only get it to 4000Mhz and having it stable at that high clock needs a lot of VTT on my X5670.

Do I get a new ram? I really need more than 16GB and it's really hard for me to find 24GB Triple Channel kits with decent shipping costs.
I am still running this ram and I am considering replacing them for higher total capacity. Can anyone recommend a good kit that doesn't hurt my wallet? I am looking for 24/32gb triple channel kit that will overclock well.

Linux is Love.. Linux is Life!
Dhiru is offline  
post #14453 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 11:43 PM
B10S TInk3r
 
HelpDatBIOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 464
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
@Hill160881 - microcode updates are part of the BIOS, that controls/fixes CPU related errata, allows CPU's to run on the board - I suggest you use the latest BIOS for your board, but that is up to you.
HelpDatBIOS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14454 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 PM
 
xxpenguinxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,324
Rep: 71 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dhiru View Post
I am still running this ram and I am considering replacing them for higher total capacity. Can anyone recommend a good kit that doesn't hurt my wallet? I am looking for 24/32gb triple channel kit that will overclock well.
I use the Crucial Ballistic Tactical LP (BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0). The kits can do 2000Mhz pretty easily. My only complaint with them is the high tRFC timing.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820148657

1x8GB: BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0
2x8GB: BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0
4x8GB: BLT4K8G3D1608ET3LX0

Going Blue
(20 items)
My Minecraft Box
(14 items)
CPU
Xeon X5690
Motherboard
EVGA 132-BL-E758
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3x8GB
Hard Drive
Kingston V300 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Sata II 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Sata II 500GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-660XP2
Cooling
EK-KIT L360
Case
NZXT H440 White
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
Monitor
AOC Agon AG271QX
Keyboard
IBM Model M
Mouse
Logitech g400
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK
Audio
HD598
Other
CyberPower PFC
Other
MNPA19-XTR 10gb
CPU
Intel Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Asus Rampage II gene
GPU
Radeon HD 2400
RAM
Crucial Balistix DDR3 1600 16GB
Hard Drive
500GB WD
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 250GB
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate
Power Supply
Seasonic G Series 550W
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC12LS
Case
Fractal Design ARC MINI
Operating System
Windows 2008 R2 SP1
Other
Intel E1G44ET2 Gigabit Ethernet Card 4 x RJ45
Other
Mellanox ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR
▲ hide details ▲
xxpenguinxx is offline  
post #14455 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Caffinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Can we start discussing CPU bottlenecks related to gaming? I'm hesitant to put a RX Vega in my system to tide me over one more year. But don't want to be bamboozled by buying another shtty AMD product, only to find it finally bottlenecks my 9 year old Intel CPU. Because i would rather hold out and put a proper 7820x, 32gb ddr4, and RTX 2080i if that's the case.

I have a 4.2GHz Xeon x5650 and 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz.
Caffinator is offline  
post #14456 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:26 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Dhiru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 108
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by xxpenguinxx View Post
I use the Crucial Ballistic Tactical LP (BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0). The kits can do 2000Mhz pretty easily. My only complaint with them is the high tRFC timing.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820148657

1x8GB: BLT8G3D1608ET3LX0
2x8GB: BLT2K8G3D1608ET3LX0
4x8GB: BLT4K8G3D1608ET3LX0
What timings do you run at 2000mhz? I have been keeping an eye out for this ram, but it's hard to find these days. It pops up on eBay every now and then, but it's used and pretty expensive. How about Corsair Vengence Pro 1600Mhz? It's about $175 for 32gb kit on newegg.

Linux is Love.. Linux is Life!
Dhiru is offline  
post #14457 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
shadowrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 81
Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by Caffinator View Post
Can we start discussing CPU bottlenecks related to gaming? I'm hesitant to put a RX Vega in my system to tide me over one more year. But don't want to be bamboozled by buying another shtty AMD product, only to find it finally bottlenecks my 9 year old Intel CPU. Because i would rather hold out and put a proper 7820x, 32gb ddr4, and RTX 2080i if that's the case.

I have a 4.2GHz Xeon x5650 and 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz.
AFAIK, there are some problems with new AMD cards and non UEFI bioses so there could be issues with Vega for X58. I know there were some 1080ti's that didn't like legacy bioses as well, but not all. 1080 and below had no issues AFAIK.

As for your bottleneck question, my jump from 4.5ghz x5675 to 5.2ghx 9900k nets me around 5-15fps increase @108 0p on well optimised and non cpu bound titles(Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc) using my GTX 1070. The PCIE 2.0 also wasn't a bottleneck as I used to even beat 6700k's in Unigine Heaven back in the day using the same GPU. CPU bound games are a different story.
shadowrain is offline  
post #14458 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 PM
 
xxpenguinxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,324
Rep: 71 (Unique: 57)
Quote: Originally Posted by Dhiru View Post
What timings do you run at 2000mhz? I have been keeping an eye out for this ram, but it's hard to find these days. It pops up on eBay every now and then, but it's used and pretty expensive. How about Corsair Vengence Pro 1600Mhz? It's about $175 for 32gb kit on newegg.
9-9-9-24 1T. I'm not sure on the Corsair's. Usually any kit that has timings 200:1 ratio or better can overclock decently, for example 1600 8-8-8, 1866 9-9-9, etc. Most Samsung RAM ending with the part number CH9 and YK0 can overclock to 2000Mhz without much issue. Most of them only come in 2 or 4GB sticks so you'll need 6 for 24GB. I had issues with Samsung RAM detecting properly on my PC and server. Registered RAM should also work as long as it's 2Rx8, but I only tested 4GB sticks.

Going Blue
(20 items)
My Minecraft Box
(14 items)
CPU
Xeon X5690
Motherboard
EVGA 132-BL-E758
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3x8GB
Hard Drive
Kingston V300 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Sata II 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Sata II 500GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-660XP2
Cooling
EK-KIT L360
Case
NZXT H440 White
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
Monitor
AOC Agon AG271QX
Keyboard
IBM Model M
Mouse
Logitech g400
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK
Audio
HD598
Other
CyberPower PFC
Other
MNPA19-XTR 10gb
CPU
Intel Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Asus Rampage II gene
GPU
Radeon HD 2400
RAM
Crucial Balistix DDR3 1600 16GB
Hard Drive
500GB WD
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 250GB
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate
Power Supply
Seasonic G Series 550W
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC12LS
Case
Fractal Design ARC MINI
Operating System
Windows 2008 R2 SP1
Other
Intel E1G44ET2 Gigabit Ethernet Card 4 x RJ45
Other
Mellanox ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR
▲ hide details ▲
xxpenguinxx is offline  
post #14459 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:34 PM
Mentally Insane User
 
99belle99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 342
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
I have a X5660 and a Vega 56 and see no bottlenecks or issues with bios'.
99belle99 is online now  
post #14460 of 14921 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Caffinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 198
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowrain View Post
AFAIK, there are some problems with new AMD cards and non UEFI bioses so there could be issues with Vega for X58. I know there were some 1080ti's that didn't like legacy bioses as well, but not all. 1080 and below had no issues AFAIK.

As for your bottleneck question, my jump from 4.5ghz x5675 to 5.2ghx 9900k nets me around 5-15fps increase @108 0p on well optimised and non cpu bound titles(Rise of the Tomb Raider, etc) using my GTX 1070. The PCIE 2.0 also wasn't a bottleneck as I used to even beat 6700k's in Unigine Heaven back in the day using the same GPU. CPU bound games are a different story.
I bought a Rx 590 Fatboy today for the hell of it. Was able to turn Far Cry New Dawn to maximum settings at 2560x1080, 75Hz. I sit around 65FPS most of the time. RX480 was like 38-40FPS
Caffinator is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off