[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 1466 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?
More than 1 year 68 11.62%
More than 2 years 30 5.13%
More than 3 years 45 7.69%
More than 4 years 58 9.91%
More than 5 years 117 20.00%
More than 6 years 267 45.64%
Voters: 585. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14651 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:48 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 99belle99 View Post
I have a X5660 @4.2Ghz for a few years no issue with a Gigabyte board and I set everything to auto except Vcore: 1.3000 and QPI/VTT 1.235 and DDR voltage or what ever it's called set to 1.64 but I don't know if you need to set yours as high as that as you have a lower speed RAM than me. In the spec sheets my RAM need 1.65V at 1600MHz. Oh yea and Load line calibration set to standard.

Oh I forget to mention that is just the voltages obviously I have turbo off and all other settings in the turbo page turned on all power saves and BCLK set to 200 and 21 multi and QPI 36, Uncore 16, and spd 8 but I need them like that as I have 1600MHz RAM.

Also I have the correct timings for my RAM set got them from the manufacturers website. I also do not have XMP set either.
Thanks for providing your settings! Seems I'll have to adjust something as windows wouldn't boot (I left my DRAM settings as is, as we have different RAM).

Is there an agreed upon guide I should try following (ELI5) that walks through the X58-specific bases? This discussion of throttlestop is brand new to me. Is that used in conjunction with, or in place of BIOS settings?
Gruncle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14652 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 PM
Mentally Insane User
 
99belle99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 319
Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
They are discussions overclocking on locked motherboard.

I just remembered are you on the latest beta bios from the Gigabyte website? As I had issues a few years ago by not being on the latest bios.
99belle99 is offline  
post #14653 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:20 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by 99belle99 View Post
They are discussions overclocking on locked motherboard.

I just remembered are you on the latest beta bios from the Gigabyte website? As I had issues a few years ago by not being on the latest bios.
I'm actually running a spectre patched version of FH.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...boards.246101/
Gruncle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14654 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Retrorockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 602
Rep: 28 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by Almost Heathen View Post
unclewebb helped me make sense of overclocking with MSRs and I was able to make a script for it, which is posted on TPU here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...235975/page-27. MSR documentation for (all?) CPUs is here: https://software.intel.com/sites/def...abcd-3abcd.pdf . Finally got the CPU overclocked in Linux and doing a 24hr stress test with 80% RAM.




That makes sense, maybe the PLL isn't supported. I noticed the FSB did go up, but it seems strange that it hard locked with only ~+7 with or without an HDD attached. I'm glad the OS was on a flashdrive, I had no idea there was a virus warning. Thanks for pointing that out (+rep).



No ECC option unfortunately. I'll have a look at RW Everything and the link you provided, thank you.
The +7 overclock is just about what I get with setFSB on my Optiplex 380 X5470. It's such a barebone office computer there's no extra PCIe slot to try an SATA work around. While you're at the Notebook site you might check out the TME unlock method. My programming skills =0 so my understanding is very limited. But the PLL can have a hex bit
set at boot that puts a hard limit on FSB speed. Since X58 CPUs all run the same BCLK there might be a default setting that's been applied. To avoid spoofing with a resistor it then outputs a 33Mhz PCI frequency. I think the edit tool in SetFSB might be able to access this and change it. BIOSmods.com does do some work with Dell BIOS. I haven't heard any mention of TME unlock there though. iIf you can get the datasheet for your PLL you can locate the pin involved. That's far as I got with it. The BIOS modders might be able to do this if you could tell them what you want done.
This was used by Dell in LGA775 to lock the 65nm to 266fsb, 45 nm to 333fsb, and only the high end dual Xeon workstations got 400fsb CPU support. This defeated the pinmodding overclocks back then. They may still be using it.
It might be interesting to lower the fsb and add another multiplier or 2 just to see how much control SetFSB actually has available.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1

Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-26-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Retrorockit is offline  
post #14655 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:16 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
nofearek9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 56
Rep: 0
support in asus event please : https://www.asus.com/EVENT/30th-anni...l.aspx?id=8207

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition,Intel Xeon [email protected],7ghz,Corsair XMS3 64GB DDR3(8x8),Samsung 950 PRO 256GB,EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING 8GB,Lian Li PC-60FNWB ,Corsair Gold AX750PSU,Noctua NH-D15 .
Asus Rampage III Gene,Intel Xeon [email protected] 4,5ghz,Corsair XMS3 24GB DDR3(3x8),Samsung 950 PRO 256GB.
Register your evga products.
Buy evga products with discount 5%-10%
nofearek9 is offline  
post #14656 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:25 PM
Linux Gamer
 
Almost Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 868
Rep: 58 (Unique: 40)
Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
The +7 overclock is just about what I get with setFSB on my Optiplex 380 X5470. It's such a barebone office computer there's no extra PCIe slot to try an SATA work around. While you're at the Notebook site you might check out the TME unlock method. My programming skills =0 so my understanding is very limited. But the PLL can have a hex bit
set at boot that puts a hard limit on FSB speed. Since X58 CPUs all run the same BCLK there might be a default setting that's been applied. To avoid spoofing with a resistor it then outputs a 33Mhz PCI frequency. I think the edit tool in SetFSB might be able to access this and change it. BIOSmods.com does do some work with Dell BIOS. I haven't heard any mention of TME unlock there though. iIf you can get the datasheet for your PLL you can locate the pin involved. That's far as I got with it. The BIOS modders might be able to do this if you could tell them what you want done.
This was used by Dell in LGA775 to lock the 65nm to 266fsb, 45 nm to 333fsb, and only the high end dual Xeon workstations got 400fsb CPU support. This defeated the pinmodding overclocks back then. They may still be using it.
It might be interesting to lower the fsb and add another multiplier or 2 just to see how much control SetFSB actually has available.
Thank you for all the detailed info. Evidently a lot of laptop users are dedicated to overriding BIOS limitations. I can see why, it's fascinating stuff.

I know what you mean, my programming skills are very limited. I can usually modify someone elses code either to suit my purposes or rarely add to the occasional project on git, but that's about it.

BIOS mods are definitely worth a shot, I agree. There are some very talented BIOS modders that might have no problem with whatever protection is on this BIOs.

Seeing what else can be done with the FSB would be interesting indeed. At X31 multi it's peculiar to see it hit 145 and beyond in HWiNFO. Not sure if it's a garbage reading or what.

Hopefully I'll have some time to find the PLL this week. I'll probably need to move the rig around to install fans anyway (hopefully my third purchase of cheap fans will be the charm...first refunded Deltas with junk bearings, then refunded refurb Yate Loons caked in rust, now a case of San Ace 140x38mm coming in a few days that were crazy cheap).

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ stock
Motherboard
(Foxconn 2AB1) N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (latest BIOS, not EFI capable)
GPU
Radeon 5250 @ Stock
RAM
4 x 2GB 1066MHz CL7
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲
Almost Heathen is offline  
post #14657 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Retrorockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 602
Rep: 28 (Unique: 13)
Here are some OC settings someone else got for that system.
https://www.dell.com/community/Deskt...147147/page/19
If you're getting 145fsb then you don't have a TME lock. It looks like the Alienware Area 51 ALX, and Dell XPS 435MT can swap BIOS, but not the XPS 435T/XPS9000. Alienware went with an ASUS P6T for the bigger tower version.
The XPS730x with H2C peltier had some factory overclock settings. It's another MSI MB. Maybe the BIOS modders can splice a BIOS together for you?
https://www.dell.com/support/article...349004?lang=en
MS 7543 is that MB.

It looks like The Studio XPS 435MT (Micro ATX) got an overclocking BIOS through Alienware as the Aurora ALX.
The Full Tower XPS 730X got overclocking when ordered with a Hybrid Peltier cooler H2C, This may also be an Alienware Area 51-ALX I7 with a water loop.
The XPS435T/ XPS 9000 got left out due to Alienware using an ASUS MB for the midtower systems. I think it's an MSI MB like the other 2 Dell X58 XPS systems.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1

Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-29-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Retrorockit is offline  
post #14658 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:59 PM
Linux Gamer
 
Almost Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 868
Rep: 58 (Unique: 40)
Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
I noticed that as well, but I thank you for pointing it out all the same. His/her comments piqued my concern with running too much power through the VRM, though I do think the numbers mentioned seem (extremely) conservative. I should pull the heatsinks one of these days and see what components were used for power delivery.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
If you're getting 145fsb then you don't have a TME lock.
I couldn't tell if the 145 FSB reading was just a glitch or not. Looking back through screenshots, perhaps not. FSB/DRAM starts to fluctuate higher along with the uncore/QPI while the effective clock speed remains the same (only happens at or above x30 ~4GHz). Then again, HWiNFO threw me several garbage readings (at one point x37 4.9GHz single core). I'll have to try it again with other software to get a second opinion.


Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
It looks like the Alienware Area 51 ALX, and Dell XPS 435MT can swap BIOS, but not the XPS 435T/XPS9000. Alienware went with an ASUS P6T for the bigger tower version.
The XPS730x with H2C peltier had some factory overclock settings. It's another MSI MB. Maybe the BIOS modders can splice a BIOS together for you?
https://www.dell.com/support/article...349004?lang=en
MS 7543 is that MB.

It looks like The Studio XPS 435MT (Micro ATX) got an overclocking BIOS through Alienware as the Aurora ALX.
The Full Tower XPS 730X got overclocking when ordered with a Hybrid Peltier cooler H2C, This may also be an Alienware Area 51-ALX I7 with a water loop.
The XPS435T/ XPS 9000 got left out due to Alienware using an ASUS MB for the midtower systems. I think it's an MSI MB like the other 2 Dell X58 XPS systems.
Thank you for sharing that Dell rebranded MSI for X58 boards (+rep). I couldn't quite tell if they were Foxconn or MSI or something else. I'm surprised the Alienware ALX and 435MT can accept the same BIOS. From the images I'm seeing on ebay, they have a different number of DIMMs and SATA, which is very interesting, I never knew that was possible. I could've sworn I saw an MSI similar to the 0x501h, but couldn't find it again last night. I will have another look at some point.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ stock
Motherboard
(Foxconn 2AB1) N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (latest BIOS, not EFI capable)
GPU
Radeon 5250 @ Stock
RAM
4 x 2GB 1066MHz CL7
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Almost Heathen; 05-30-2019 at 02:33 AM.
Almost Heathen is offline  
post #14659 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:14 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Retrorockit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 602
Rep: 28 (Unique: 13)
There were 2 different Alienware ALX. The Aurora ALX = the Dell XPS 435MT which is Micro ATX with 6 DIMMs and 2 GPU slots= MS7591. That's the AW BIOS swap.

The Area 51 ALX I7 = the XPS 730x which is the full size ATX with 3 DIMM slots and 3 GPU slots= MS7543.
The full towers had high end cooling options to support factory overclocks and unlocked BIOS due to that.

They all have MS ID numbers on them and unlocked BIOS available.

Yours is Mid Tower ATX Dell XPS 435T/ XPS9000 with no equal Alienware, and no MS#,.6 DIMMs,and 1 GPU slot. Since you just need to add access to the unlocked settings maybe if you send a copy of each of the unlocked BIOS, and your locked BIOS to the modders they can add the settings without changing the hardware config. They all suppport the same CPUs. I can't guarantee it's an MSI board, but I think the chances are very good that it is. If it's Foxconn or Intel then it will probably stay locked.

I see that my previous statement was confusing. The 2 computers I mentioned "could" both have unlocked BIOS swapped in, just not with each other. I hope the longer explanation here clarifies things.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1

Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-31-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Retrorockit is offline  
post #14660 of 14854 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:20 PM
Linux Gamer
 
Almost Heathen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 868
Rep: 58 (Unique: 40)
Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
There were 2 different Alienware ALX. The Aurora ALX = the Dell XPS 435MT which is Micro ATX with 6 DIMMs and 2 GPU slots= MS7591. That's the AW BIOS swap.

The Area 51 ALX I7 = the XPS 730x which is the full size ATX with 3 DIMM slots and 3 GPU slots= MS7543.
The full towers had high end cooling options to support factory overclocks and unlocked BIOS due to that.

They all have MS ID numbers on them and unlocked BIOS available.

Yours is Mid Tower ATX Dell XPS 435T/ XPS9000 with no equal Alienware, and no MS#,.6 DIMMs,and 1 GPU slot. Since you just need to add access to the unlocked settings maybe if you send a copy of each of the unlocked BIOS, and your locked BIOS to the modders they can add the settings without changing the hardware config. They all suppport the same CPUs. I can't guarantee it's an MSI board, but I think the chances are very good that it is. If it's Foxconn or Intel then it will probably stay locked.

I see that my previous statement was confusing. The 2 computers I mentioned "could" both have unlocked BIOS swapped in, just not with each other. I hope the longer explanation here clarifies things.
Thank you for clarifying, I see what you mean now.

NAS / HTPC
(19 items)
Workstation
(10 items)
CPU
Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard
Dell 0x501h (BIOS A16, not EFI capable)
GPU
EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming 6GB 06G-P4-6161-KR @ stock
RAM
30GB @ 1066MHz CL7 (3x8GB 2Rx8 1600MHz ECC UDIMMs, 3x2GB 2Rx8 1333MHz non-ECC)
Hard Drive
ZFS mirror (media), ZFS JBOD (gaming etc.), ZFS OS
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-850HT
Cooling
Scythe Ninja 4
Cooling
Sunbeam Rheostat Extreme Fan Controller rev2
Cooling
4 x San Ace 140mm, 2 x Delta AFB 120mm (VRM fans)
Case
CaseLabs Bullet BH8 (white)
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
Panasonic Viera X3 TV
Keyboard
CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Cherry Reds)
Mouse
Logitech M310
Mouse
Itac mouse-trak Industrial Trackball
Mousepad
Cloth
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Tournament Edition Headset
Audio
Creative Sound BlasterX G1 USB Sound Card
Audio
Philips HTS3555 5.1 1000w Home Theater
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ stock
Motherboard
(Foxconn 2AB1) N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (latest BIOS, not EFI capable)
GPU
Radeon 5250 @ Stock
RAM
4 x 2GB 1066MHz CL7
Hard Drive
Hitatchi 40gb (ZFS)
Power Supply
OEM 250w?
Cooling
OEM
Case
OEM
Operating System
Antergos XFCE (Antergos repos removed)
Monitor
HP vp17
▲ hide details ▲
Almost Heathen is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off