[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 1489 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?
More than 1 year 69 11.62%
More than 2 years 30 5.05%
More than 3 years 45 7.58%
More than 4 years 58 9.76%
More than 5 years 117 19.70%
More than 6 years 275 46.30%
Voters: 594. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

post #14881 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 28 (Unique: 13)
I personally don't run Prime 95 on all cores 24/7 as a stability test when overclocking. I use it as a stress test to check my cooling. The run fewer examples of P95 until the CPU is at 85-90% load for a stability test. It's possible some component failed the unrealistic load that overclocking and P95 24/7 put on the system. It's nice to be able to claim your OC can run P95 24/7 but there's a risk to doing that. Others may disagree (they usually do) but I don't see any real benefit to doing that. At stock speeds on a mission critical situation it might weed out a future problem, but in an OC scenario which usually implies gaming or other hobby use I think the risk outweighs the "gain".

Since I only overclock locked BIOS Dells the recommendations of others for increased Voltage and QPI might be correct and solve your problem. But I have no problem running any gaming benchmarks using a more relaxed stability test on my old systems. All this X58 Xeon stuff is almost ten years old and has probably had a hard life in workstations to begin with. You might find your system will do everything you need it to at 4.1 GHz if you test this way.

Dell Dimension E520 [email protected]
Delta GFB1212VHG, 8GB DDR2-800
R9-285 ITX 2GB DDR5, 240GB SSD
http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14882 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
[Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

Quote: Originally Posted by Retrorockit View Post
I personally don't run Prime 95 on all cores 24/7 as a stability test when overclocking. I use it as a stress test to check my cooling. The run fewer examples of P95 until the CPU is at 85-90% load for a stability test. It's possible some component failed the unrealistic load that overclocking and P95 24/7 put on the system. It's nice to be able to claim your OC can run P95 24/7 but there's a risk to doing that. Others may disagree (they usually do) but I don't see any real benefit to doing that. At stock speeds on a mission critical situation it might weed out a future problem, but in an OC scenario which usually implies gaming or other hobby use I think the risk outweighs the "gain".

Since I only overclock locked BIOS Dells the recommendations of others for increased Voltage and QPI might be correct and solve your problem. But I have no problem running any gaming benchmarks using a more relaxed stability test on my old systems. All this X58 Xeon stuff is almost ten years old and has probably had a hard life in workstations to begin with. You might find your system will do everything you need it to at 4.1 GHz if you test this way.

You misread my post. I said that my overclock is stable with running Prime 24h+ but I don’t run the test 24/7. My PC is just turned on 24/7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by AeroZ; 10-05-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #14883 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 10:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by AeroZ View Post
You misread my post. I said that my overclock is stable with running Prime 24h+ but I don’t run the test 24/7. My PC is just turned on 24/7.

It said "Prime95 stable 24+". That's what I'm refering to as runnning a stress test as a stability test. It's up to you as to whether that's a relevant test for your system.
Sometimes it's worth the risk ,sometimes it isn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14884 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

It said "Prime95 stable 24+". That's what I'm refering to as runnning a stress test as a stability test. It's up to you as to whether that's a relevant test for your system.

Sometimes it's worth the risk ,sometimes it isn't.

What the risk might be if the PC doesn’t crash and the temps are ok?

post #14885 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 11:27 AM
New to Overclock.net

Unnecesarily damaging the RAM or CPU or something else by putting it under more stress than it will ever see in it's intended use. Overclocking is known to shorten the useful life of parts. Extended stress testing won't improve the situation. I would try the suggestions others made, but do a more relaxed stability test and see how that works. Your computer didn't crash during P95 24+ but it seems to be crashing now. The 2 things could be related.

post #14886 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 02:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Unnecesarily damaging the RAM or CPU or something else by putting it under more stress than it will ever see in it's intended use. Overclocking is known to shorten the useful life of parts. Extended stress testing won't improve the situation. I would try the suggestions others made, but do a more relaxed stability test and see how that works. Your computer didn't crash during P95 24+ but it seems to be crashing now. The 2 things could be related.
The thing is that the PC doesn't crash and haven't crashed. The overclock settings in BIOS get reset if the mobo doesn't like something during POST.
Anyway, I'll keep my eye on the situation. Maybe add a notch to RAM voltage since I think I'm running them at 1.5v while mildly overclocked.
PS. Just finished another Prime test (custom, all sizes, 90-95% RAM, 10 min each) that ran for around 25 hours without an issue. Temps were under 80C.
Regarding what, why, how and with what to test I just use the same that that I used on Sandry Bridge from a tutorial from this forum that was needed to get into Sandy Super stable club.
post #14887 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey guys, i got a x58 board with an xeon x5675 for free at my uni last week, so im building a system around it. Now i ordered a cpu cooler which was the arctic freezer 34 esport duo, but sadly i missed that it was not for 1366 sockets, so i will have to return it and get another cpu cooler. I did read a lot of very good things about the arctic one so im a little bit bummed. Can you guys give some advice for a cpu cooler in that same price range of 20-35$ with which i can OC the Xeon x5675 to around 4.0 - 4.2Ghz without having to worry about the temps?

Would really help me a lot, i was eying the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 as it is 10$ cheaper than the arctic i will return, i was thinking about buying a second fan with that money and add it to the heatsink to get a pull and push setup going. Would that be a good idea? Im happy to hear about any other suggestions!
post #14888 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:22 PM
Mentally Insane User

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Quote: Originally Posted by sharaku17 View Post
Hey guys, i got a x58 board with an xeon x5675 for free at my uni last week, so im building a system around it. Now i ordered a cpu cooler which was the arctic freezer 34 esport duo, but sadly i missed that it was not for 1366 sockets, so i will have to return it and get another cpu cooler. I did read a lot of very good things about the arctic one so im a little bit bummed. Can you guys give some advice for a cpu cooler in that same price range of 20-35$ with which i can OC the Xeon x5675 to around 4.0 - 4.2Ghz without having to worry about the temps?

Would really help me a lot, i was eying the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 as it is 10$ cheaper than the arctic i will return, i was thinking about buying a second fan with that money and add it to the heatsink to get a pull and push setup going. Would that be a good idea? Im happy to hear about any other suggestions!
I used a cheap thermalright cooler for 10 years on this platform. I wired up a switch to run at 5v for everyday tasks like browsing, watching videos and then switch to 12v for more intensive tasks. I ran at 4.2GHz daily for a few years and 4.6-4.8GHz for benchmarks like timespy or Cinebench.

These chips don't get hot, well that is my experience with them. I gamed at 4.2GHz with the fan on a 5v supply always never any issue with heat and as I said it was a cheap cooler.

Ryzen 7 3700X Owner!

Radeon RX 5700 XT Owner!
post #14889 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 157 (Unique: 118)
Quote: Originally Posted by sharaku17 View Post

If you're budget-limited, then the little Deepcool is decent - assuming your case airflow is good and your room temp is close to room temperature. Its fan is noisier than most, so adding an extra one will hurt noise levels more than help temps.

However, to get a better overclock with lower temps and noise, I'd spend a little more, but still under $50 for either:
Thermalright 120 SBM: https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-...dp/B01CGMP9AK/
or
Scythe Mugen 5: https://www.amazon.com/Mugen-Rev-CPU...dp/B06ZYB8K77/

Or do what I did for one of my X58/5675 builds, pickup a used D14 for $25. ;-)
post #14890 of 14965 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 12:25 AM
Guru

Rep: 29 (Unique: 26)
Quote: Originally Posted by AeroZ View Post
Hello.

I got a question.

I got an X5670 running at 4.1GHz with 24GB's of RAM. I'm Prime95 stable 24h+.
I haven't tinkered with my system for some time but yesterday I wanted to check my CPU load for some tasks and accidentally found that I'm running at stock 3.3GHz. So I booted into BIOS and when opening the overclocking settings portion I got the red message saying that the PC had boot failures so the settings were set back to default.

I was wondering what might cause boot failure while my overclock is stable? My PC is basically running 24/7 so I'm not sure when did it have any boot failures. Could a power cut or force shut down cause a boot failure?
If any other more specific info is needed let me know.
Might be nothing at all and caused by something like electricity failure.

Xeon X5650 @ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME | Tactical DDR3 TC 12GB @ 2200Mhz 10-10-10-26 1T | 3.74Ghz Uncore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in