[Official] - X58 Xeon Club - - Page 660 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: How many years have you owned your X58 - Tylersburg platofrm?
More than 1 year 69 11.73%
More than 2 years 30 5.10%
More than 3 years 45 7.65%
More than 4 years 58 9.86%
More than 5 years 117 19.90%
More than 6 years 269 45.75%
Voters: 588. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

[Official] - X58 Xeon Club -

post #6591 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 04:42 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzsi7 View Post

I picked up an X5570 chip for next to nothing locally to play around with while I wait for the X5675 chip to arrive.. Its only a slight upgrade from my i7 930..but hey, why not, its a bit better and only costed a few bucks.

It runs fine, iv got it running at just over 4ghz with turbo and all the cpu "features" and power saving options still enabled...

Iv seen some funny things in HWMonitor though when i have left it open while doing some gaming..
I come back to see max CPU clock has gone to over 6ghz...

im guessing its just an error...anyone seen that before?

X5670 is great little CPU,I've run previously on mine and loved this CPU,I bought again X5670 which is great too,right now I'm on 4.2GHz at 1.31v which is lot less than previously
Not sure if its slight upgrade,but this depends if you do use multi threaded apps,I'm using mostly PC for rendering and making music and there X5670 spanks i7-920 OC to 4.2GHz,just take same scene with i7-920 4.2GHz takes/renders in 45mins and with X5670 4,2GHz render takes 26mins

Regarding HWMonitor I've never saw this,I think only once I've seen there some strange clocks,but this has been down to power saving option,maybe this can cause that

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6592 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
I do agree! Though I was thinking an hexacore could do a last but nice upgrade on a more than 6 years old rig, the performances of my pc improved much more than expected. I got mine running stable at 4ghz with 1.208V, with 6 modules of ram for a total of 24GB. Always thought it was a urban legend, but the P6Ts are great when using the 6 slots of ram in tri-channel.

Only Arma 3 when played online is a bit of a deception, that game ain't multithreaded like many games of its generation. Next step is to have OS X running on it. I'd love to see what it is capable of on both iMovie and FCP. But from what I've seen so far on Windows 10 Pro, it is more capable.

At 4.2ghz, a X5675 compares to a 5930k at stock, which is pretty impressive for a 6 years old built! I never kept a platform for so long, and I suppose I'll keep it a little bit longer. Only the power management is not so great when compared to those modern cpus.

Macbook Pro 13 Retina US | Mid 2014 | 8GB | 256GB | El Capitan

Freebox Revolution | x2 7200.12 500GB

Canon G7X | Lumia 830
post #6593 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 08:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 100 (Unique: 64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskafreez View Post

I do agree! Though I was thinking an hexacore could do a last but nice upgrade on a more than 6 years old rig, the performances of my pc improved much more than expected. I got mine running stable at 4ghz with 1.208V, with 6 modules of ram for a total of 24GB. Always thought it was a urban legend, but the P6Ts are great when using the 6 slots of ram in tri-channel.

Only Arma 3 when played online is a bit of a deception, that game ain't multithreaded like many games of its generation. Next step is to have OS X running on it. I'd love to see what it is capable of on both iMovie and FCP. But from what I've seen so far on Windows 10 Pro, it is more capable.

At 4.2ghz, a X5675 compares to a 5930k at stock, which is pretty impressive for a 6 years old built! I never kept a platform for so long, and I suppose I'll keep it a little bit longer. Only the power management is not so great when compared to those modern cpus.

I've previously P6T Motherboard and I've love that motherboard,just in my case I've been unable to run more than 4.2GHz on my X5670,but seems this has been issue of my CPU not MB

Regarding of OSX,I'm running Yosemite on mine for about 1 year there without the issue,on P6T I've been able to run OSX out of the box,no issues

Depends on GPU then this should be straight forward installation,I've run R9 290 previously,now I'm running EVGA Titan X and never have issue with installation of boot issues,al depends on few bits,on AMD GPU you will need to have kext for that,but this can be easily sorted and on NVIDIA GPU I would recommend boot with nv_disable=1 for first time when you trying to install OSX and then this should be straight forward and really I would have look on the Clover as bootbloader,I'm using this as bootloader and regarding OSX on yours,if you need the help,please let me know,I'm always happy to help

At moment I'm not looking to upgrade,but always I've itch go with newer platform due the AVX and have native SATA 3 etc,due this I'm looking to upgrade later on to X99 dual Xeon,but all depends on other bits,but right now I'm very happy with this platform

Power management this what I really don't care,my PC is turned on for 24/7 and I use PC for work and this word should be forbidden in OC world

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6594 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 11:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quick question; I've got a x5680 in a Sabertooth x58. The board indicates 24gb max, but I'm currently running 48gb of RipJaw ram and was wondering if anyone has tried putting 96gb in one of these boards. I haven't been able to find anything online, other than someone saying he had 24gb of Registered ECC running in the board. Thoughts?

Before you ask, the reason for 96gb of ram would be none. Maybe bragging rights, but mostly just curiosity of how ram limits actually work.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-16-PC3-12800-KVR16R11D4/dp/B0088SSUTO/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448219932&sr=1-16&keywords=16GB+240-PIN+Dimm+DDR3
post #6595 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jura11 View Post

Power management this what I really don't care,my PC is turned on for 24/7 and I use PC for work and this word should be forbidden in OC world
I don't really give a damn neither. My flatmate works for a power company -We have a 95% discount per kWh biggrin.gif- . But it's quite useful to have a decent power management during fall and spring. No need to turn the air-con ON.

Quote:

Regarding of OSX,I'm running Yosemite on mine for about 1 year there without the issue,on P6T I've been able to run OSX out of the box,no issues

Depends on GPU then this should be straight forward installation,I've run R9 290 previously,now I'm running EVGA Titan X and never have issue with installation of boot issues,al depends on few bits,on AMD GPU you will need to have kext for that,but this can be easily sorted and on NVIDIA GPU I would recommend boot with nv_disable=1 for first time when you trying to install OSX and then this should be straight forward and really I would have look on the Clover as bootbloader,I'm using this as bootloader and regarding OSX on yours,if you need the help,please let me know,I'm always happy to help

Sweet as bro. I'll give OS X a go on the P6T. It was a mission on my DFi T3eH8, both literally and figuratively. Fingers crossed with my GTX970. I'm in no rush regarding OS X. My MBP is more than capable for my actual needs. But I want to work in 4k at some point in the near future, and if El Capitan works on the P6T I'll be an happy man.
Quote:

At moment I'm not looking to upgrade,but always I've itch go with newer platform due the AVX and have native SATA 3 etc,due this I'm looking to upgrade later on to X99 dual Xeon,but all depends on other bits,but right now I'm very happy with this platform

It really is my only regret! I do have a ASUS U3S6 PCiE card -the one that does both USB3 and SATA3- but SATA3 performances are not so great. It does the job for the USB3 though. I've tried a couple of cheap SATA3 pcie cards over the years, with a different chipset every time. I still have to find one that delivers better performances -something significant- and stability.

Macbook Pro 13 Retina US | Mid 2014 | 8GB | 256GB | El Capitan

Freebox Revolution | x2 7200.12 500GB

Canon G7X | Lumia 830
post #6596 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 02:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEoNeTrUeAcE View Post

Quick question; I've got a x5680 in a Sabertooth x58. The board indicates 24gb max, but I'm currently running 48gb of RipJaw ram and was wondering if anyone has tried putting 96gb in one of these boards. I haven't been able to find anything online, other than someone saying he had 24gb of Registered ECC running in the board. Thoughts?

Before you ask, the reason for 96gb of ram would be none. Maybe bragging rights, but mostly just curiosity of how ram limits actually work.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-16-PC3-12800-KVR16R11D4/dp/B0088SSUTO/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448219932&sr=1-16&keywords=16GB+240-PIN+Dimm+DDR3

I would guess it would work. From what iv been able to gather, its the CPU that is the deciding factor in how much ram you can run, and not the MOBO, so assuming you have a xeon CPU that supports that much RAM (as most do) you should be fine. The i7 9xx chips only supported 24gb of ram, which is why all the MOBO's say they only support 24gb of ram, because they dont officially support the xeon cpu's.
post #6597 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 198 (Unique: 128)
Quote:

Was I that person? I'm running 24GBs of Registered ECC RAM. I would go higher, but I'm not getting close to maxing 24GBs. Plus I'm tired of spending money on test\benchmarking etc. This stuff adds up lol. My previous 12GBs were fine, but I was getting close to tapping out 12GBs with some of my programs. I know that the Xeon's can support a huge amount of RAM and I would love to test it out, but as I said I have no reason to go above 24GBs atm. All of my DRAM slots are full now anyways. I do remember reading a post\blog of someone running an extreme amount of RAM on X58 with a Xeon.
post #6598 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 15)
Quote:

That stuff would not work, x4 rdimms are no go. You need to look for the x8 rdimms,

post #6599 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihe View Post

That stuff would not work, x4 rdimms are no go. You need to look for the x8 rdimms,

Can you be a bit more specific? My limited searching hasn't yielded any x8 16gb rdimms. But I also haven't seen anything saying x4 based configurations won't work. Please elaborate and enlighten me. :-)

Edit: Further search yielded someone who had tested 2Rx4 rdimms to no avail. I have yet to find 2Rx8 16gb rdimms.
post #6600 of 14904 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 AM

Rep: 71 (Unique: 57)
Quote:

Can you be a bit more specific? My limited searching hasn't yielded any x8 16gb rdimms. But I also haven't seen anything saying x4 based configurations won't work. Please elaborate and enlighten me. :-)

Edit: Further search yielded someone who had tested 2Rx4 rdimms to no avail. I have yet to find 2Rx8 16gb rdimms.

You won't be able to use Registered DIMMs on regular desktop motherboards. You need unbuffered/non registered, and 16GB unbuffered are very rare or don't exist (I have not found any yet). You could get a workstation/server motherboard and use 16GB rdimms, but then you lose the overclocking capability.

Going Blue
(20 items)
My Minecraft Box
(14 items)
CPU
Xeon X5690
Motherboard
EVGA 132-BL-E758
GPU
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
RAM
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 3x8GB
Hard Drive
Kingston V300 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Sata II 1TB
Hard Drive
WD Sata II 500GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 500GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic SS-660XP2
Cooling
EK-KIT L360
Case
NZXT H440 White
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
Monitor
AOC Agon AG271QX
Keyboard
IBM Model M
Mouse
Logitech g400
Mouse
SteelSeries QcK
Audio
HD598
Other
CyberPower PFC
Other
MNPA19-XTR 10gb
CPU
Intel Xeon X5650
Motherboard
Asus Rampage II gene
GPU
Radeon HD 2400
RAM
Crucial Balistix DDR3 1600 16GB
Hard Drive
500GB WD
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate Barracuda
Hard Drive
Crucial MX200 250GB
Hard Drive
4TB Seagate
Power Supply
Seasonic G Series 550W
Cooling
Phanteks PH-TC12LS
Case
Fractal Design ARC MINI
Operating System
Windows 2008 R2 SP1
Other
Intel E1G44ET2 Gigabit Ethernet Card 4 x RJ45
Other
Mellanox ConnectX-2 MNPA19-XTR
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in