Monitor will not display anything 50% of the time. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Monitor will not display anything 50% of the time.

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 15 (Unique: 13)
When I turn my computer the monitor will display the post screen and then the windows loading screen, when the "windows fly toward you". After that it will proceed into windows normally or the monitors just go black. It seems to be about a 50/50 split. The computer is my sig rig and is starting to get older. The 6870 are newer but still a few years old at this point.

I installed a couple of kingston ssd about two months ago. My windows install is on one of the ssd drives. This problem started a few days ago.

I have sense removed one of the 6870's from my system, no more crossfire. I have tried them both alone and the problem continues.

I am not sure what to do, I am wondering if my motherboard might simply be failing. The motherboard and processor were first installed in Nov. of 2009.

Any other ideas?

Smile, it increases your face value. smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
I've only seen that happen when the monitors range is exceeded. Frequency or pixel wise. Which connector are you using? Have you tried lowering the pixels a notch to see if it still happens? or better yet, I don't suppose you have a different monitor you can try?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm running a DVI connector. I actually have duel monitors hooked up. Tried running only one but no change. I've been running the two of these monitors for a couple of years now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
Well that does indeed seem to rule out the monitors and the graphics cards I would think. So I'm thinking PSU first, then MB... But have you reverted back to older drivers of for graphics cards, checked windows updates installed sense the problem started.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well I think that it is something with the windows install on that ssd drive. I have my old WD black drives that I was using before the ssd drives. The windows install was never wiped on them. I have plugged the WD blacks back in and everything is working %100 as far as I can tell. I will look at the windows updates but I'm pretty sure those were fine. I have not tried an older video driver but I don't know if that is going to help. I can't even seem to get the system to get into windows now with of the ssd drive. So I either have a bad hard drive or my installation went to poop. I think i'm just going to try and reinstall windows on the drive and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in