Help me with my Home Theater PC Build is this overkill? - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help me with my Home Theater PC Build is this overkill?

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
They don't seem to have it in stock. What else do you suggest for aircooling. I doubt anything from Noctua will fit in this case. Too big lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 191 (Unique: 143)
Quote:
Originally Posted by predalien View Post

They don't seem to have it in stock. What else do you suggest for aircooling. I doubt anything from Noctua will fit in this case. Too big lol.

Anything from Thermalright is great. The Node 804 specs claim 160mm in height though that seems dubious as I have used the case myself. You may be able to fit a single tower cooler in there.

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:35 PM
What should be here ?

Rep: 357 (Unique: 256)
You also do not need that big of a PSU. Any 450W PSU will do, like the one i linked. How much is the one that you mentioned ??

#2 their debt is insane, even for a "diverse field" company. They cannot even afford to service the debt maintenance let alone make an actual dent in the debt itself. - Internet Stranger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I own two Noctua coolers and I love them. I was considering this one.

Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 29)
Agreed with MapRef's post in that an air cooler is probably best for an HTPC, several coolers are quieter (or just as quiet without being prone to leaks, grinding sound etc). I have an H60 2013 version in my Arc Mini R2 and it's great but the scythe big shuriken is quieter in my Silverstone HTPC case cooling an i3, aslo maybe Noctua's L9i perhaps if you want something smaller, if not a reputable companys cooler that fits within the size limits would work great. Also if you aren't going to use an optical disc drive (Node 804 only allows a slim slot loading type), you can compare it with the Corsair carbide 240 case. Obviously not as sleek as the F.D. but it cools a little better according to the Anandtech review which might make it easier to run the fans at a lower rpm thus being quieter. Just my 2 cents, but enjoy your build none-the-less. You should be pleased with it's peformance smile.gif

post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I own two Noctua coolers and I love them. I was considering this one.

Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler

I doubt that will fit with any fans. You'd need something like the U9B more than likely. You're likely only going to want to use one fan in the HTPC as well. You don't want any additional noise getting in the way of your movies.

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
There's nothing wrong with a H 50. Corsair makes good stuff. But with that case, and it being a HTPC, I too would stick with air cooling. But with the G3258 there's no need for an aftermarket one as the stock intel cooler will handle it just fine. Though depending on how much gaming you'll be doing, you may want to go ahead and do a I5 setup
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

There's nothing wrong with a H 50. Corsair makes good stuff. But with that case, and it being a HTPC, I too would stick with air cooling. But with the G3258 there's no need for an aftermarket one as the stock intel cooler will handle it just fine. Though depending on how much gaming you'll be doing, you may want to go ahead and do a I5 setup

Sorry but you are wrong. The H50 is pure garbage and shouldn't even be sold anymore. It's one of the original AIOs and significantly worse than the recent 120 units from Corsair (which aren't that great, but decent). OP may be buying the Pentium with the idea of overclocking it pretty hard in which case the stock cooler doesn't do over 1.25v very well.

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I do not plan on using an optical disk drive. I will just install windows 8.1 from a flashdrive. I will overlock the hell out of this cpu. I heard if you overlock it pretty high it is as good as an i7

What are the best water-cooling options?
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 10:57 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I do not plan on using an optical disk drive. I will just install windows 8.1 from a flashdrive

What are the best water-cooling options?

At least a Corsair H75. You certainly don't need a high end AIO for a Pentium or anything. However keep in mind that you will have to deal with the pump noise, louder fans, and the chance of something failing that requires you to replace the entire unit (while an air cooler has nothing that can fail other than the fans). For some the noise is enough to totally turn them off from using an AIO in an HTPC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in