Help me with my Home Theater PC Build is this overkill? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help me with my Home Theater PC Build is this overkill?

post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 11:56 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 191 (Unique: 143)
Quote:
Originally Posted by predalien View Post

For a Processor I think I will go for an i5

Intel Core i5-4460

As for an Air Cooling option. How about this?

Rosewill RCX-Z1 Long life ball bearing for over 45,000/hrs CPU Cooler

and I can replace the fan with a noctua fan

Cooler Master Hyper T2 - Compact CPU Cooler with Dual Looped Direct Contact Heatpipes

Quote:

or

Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heatpipes

Or use the stock heatsink?

You will need to replace the stock cooler for over 1.25 volts. It can theoretically "keep it cool" but that will require the fan to spin up really fast and loud. I belive the T2 is the best of those coolers but I am no expert on those lower end HSF's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
this cooler will fit I am pretty sure of it

Noctua NH-L12 120mm & 92mm SSO Bearing PWM Fans CPU Cooler

Here is a video of guy doing a build with a bigger heatsink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_02EP9oePmU
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 53 (Unique: 44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapRef41N93W View Post

Sorry but you are wrong. The H50 is pure garbage and shouldn't even be sold anymore..

And you're biased for some unknown reason or logic. It is so obviously a good product in all respects. One of the best review ratios you'll ever see on newegg, especially considering the number of them...

As for the stock cooler, it should handle between 4 and 4.3 Ghz depending on the OC. A MSI gaming board will do a 4.3 Ghz Auto OC @ 1.256vcore (27c to 74c with a 5 year old H60).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I do not plan on using an optical disk drive. I will just install windows 8.1 from a flashdrive. I will overlock the hell out of this cpu. I heard if you overlock it pretty high it is as good as an i7

What are the best water-cooling options?

I've seen comparisons to I5 in some games, but in multiplayer stuff, it seems to bog down. BF3 starts stuttering at about 12 to 16 players (or at least mine did). But I did have all the settings either maxed or close to it, and didn't boot into a single monitor setup like I use to do when I played it alot on my old system...

But the g3258 is cheap, and you can always upgrade it later. And the longer it last, the cheaper a I5/7 will be..... At least that's my line of thought on it... It's a great little chip...
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

And you're biased for some unknown reason or logic. It is so obviously a good product in all respects. One of the best review ratios you'll ever see on newegg, especially considering the number of them...

As for the stock cooler, it should handle between 4 and 4.3 Ghz depending on the OC. A MSI gaming board will do a 4.3 Ghz Auto OC @ 1.256vcore (27c to 74c with a 5 year old H60).

The H50 is so dated by today's standards of AIOs it isn't even funny.

H50 can't even beat 7 year old single tower coolers like the Titan Ferir or coolers considered rubbish by today's standards like Cooler Master V10.

post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 02:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

To the OP, listening to some of the purest types here can put you in the poor house. For instance, how many have told you about getting windows keys on rededit? I and several here have used this guy (Windows 8.1 Pro $25) without any issues. He's legit and keys are real....

And check out PCpartpicker. You can set it to only use Amazon, and it will point out any compatibility issues and give you an estimated wattage needed...
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2740 (Unique: 1626)
750 watts is way overkill for that system, how about this one instead since you say you dont want to cheap out?
Rosewill SilentNight

Dont get a Corsair AIO cooler, reason for that is you can air coolers that are better cost less and make less noise and are way more reliable
Last dont get a Corsair PSU either you can get just as good and better for less money elsewhere, take the HXi you picked the EVGA SuperNova G2 is better and cost less.

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I really don't trust Newegg reviews the majority of people who do the reviews don't know what they are doing. So they screw it up and end breaking something when they do a build. That is why i ask you folks on what is the best way to do a build. Newegg reviews are good like Wikipedia . You get the basics down and go from there.
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I really don't trust Newegg reviews the majority of people who do the reviews don't know what they are doing. So they screw it up and end breaking something when they do a build. That is why i ask you folks on what is the best way to do a build. Newegg reviews are good like Wikipedia is for doing research for a paper. You get the basics down and go from there.

The vast majority of reviewers on Newegg are novices who really have no idea what they are doing. And the reviews that are real usually get 100/100 thumbs down by other novices who just bought or are thinking about buying the product and aren't happy with the negative review. They are about as bad of a resource that you could use to determine how good a product is. Most of the reviews claiming a product is dead or broken are like you said, the fault of the reviewer.

post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The parts I have bought off Newegg or amazon have always been solid. Its not like the companies you buy from are going to sell you broken parts. They would loose money in an RMA process.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in