Please comment on my build start. I5, MSI Z97S, Case with free PSU - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Please comment on my build start. I5, MSI Z97S, Case with free PSU

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello, I am really new to PC and I am putting together my first build. I wanted to get some opinions from you guys with more experience to see if my parts are good.

This will be for gaming but also web browsing, music, movies, general use. I have put together a small bundle at Microcenter and the prices are with the bundle.

Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Boxed Processor $199.99

MSI Z97S LGA 1150 ATX Intel Motherboard $69.99 ($59.99 after rebate)

Cooler Master Thermal Master Mid Tower ATX Computer Case $37.99

I have been going back and forth alot between i7 and i5 but I think I choose i5. The Motherboard decision has been a huge pain but I think this one might be good.

A big concern is with the case. It comes with a 500w power supply and that is the only reason I want this case. It does not say the brand so i must assume it is some off brand very cheap PSU. Is this a bad idea?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/357902/Thermal_Master_Mid_Tower_ATX_Computer_Case_with_500W_Power_Supply

TC102 Mid Tower ATX Case, 500W Power Supply

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions/opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 447 (Unique: 349)
I'm sure the PSU that "comes free" with the case is a piece of crap, considering the whole case WITH the PSU costs less than a quality PSU all by itself. That being said, it's probably safe to use.

The freebie PSU will have low efficiency (probably 65-75% under load) and consequently high heat output, noisy fan, and poor voltage regulation. Is it good enough to meet ATX specifications? Probably. I'd at least check for a UL approval sticker on it, and if it doesn't have one - throw it away and replace it with something that won't burn your house down if it gets a short.

Let me amend the comment by saying such a cheap PSU isn't designed for "unattended use". If you're the type that turns on the PC, uses it a while, then shuts it down - good. If you're planning to turn it on and leave it running 24/7, I wouldn't advise it.

Greg

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-05-2015, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong View Post

I'm sure the PSU that "comes free" with the case is a piece of crap, considering the whole case WITH the PSU costs less than a quality PSU all by itself. That being said, it's probably safe to use.

The freebie PSU will have low efficiency (probably 65-75% under load) and consequently high heat output, noisy fan, and poor voltage regulation. Is it good enough to meet ATX specifications? Probably. I'd at least check for a UL approval sticker on it, and if it doesn't have one - throw it away and replace it with something that won't burn your house down if it gets a short.

Let me amend the comment by saying such a cheap PSU isn't designed for "unattended use". If you're the type that turns on the PC, uses it a while, then shuts it down - good. If you're planning to turn it on and leave it running 24/7, I wouldn't advise it.

Greg

Yeah probably a bad idea on that case then tongue.gif.

That MOBO seems ok the only other consideration I had was to get the MSI Gaming 7 instead but the price difference is about the cost of my 8gb of RAM so idk if it's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 04:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Have you got an idea on your overall budget? Can't really help without that in mind.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit16R View Post

Have you got an idea on your overall budget? Can't really help without that in mind.
Under $800 preferably less.

Shopping deals. That's why I thought I'd get the case with crappy PSU. I can upgrade little things like that down the road.

I figured get a good CPU, MOBO, GPU and RAM then skimp on everything else.

I pretty much have to get the CPU and MOBO through Microcenter, their bundle prices can't be beat.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddnotez View Post

Under $800 preferably less.

Shopping deals. That's why I thought I'd get the case with crappy PSU. I can upgrade little things like that down the road.

I figured get a good CPU, MOBO, GPU and RAM then skimp on everything else.

I pretty much have to get the CPU and MOBO through Microcenter, their bundle prices can't be beat.

Personly I wouldn't skimp on a PSU either. It leaves lots of room for possible upgrades in the future. I'll look around and give you some possible ideas after a bit of searching!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit16R View Post

Personly I wouldn't skimp on a PSU either. It leaves lots of room for possible upgrades in the future. I'll look around and give you some possible ideas after a bit of searching!

Ok thanks. I just meant skimp now and upgrade later. Maybe a month or 2 after the build I could start upgrading the parts I went Cheap on.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:36 AM
I fix Stuff

Rep: 316 (Unique: 244)
What micro center location are you at?
Also what graphics side do you prefer? AMD or Nvidia?

I may not have time right away to help you out but I hope to try and find all the parts at your micro center location to make things easier. PC part picker seems to have changed their layout and time to putz with it is limited.
Here's hoping your answer to my question will allow others to help all the same. thumb.gif

Helpful Links & Hardware History (Click to show)OCN Marketplace Expectations (Click to show)
- I always test my purchased products before leaving trader feedback. If I bought something from you and you have not gotten feedback give me a little friendly PM bump. smile.gif
- When selling items I do my best to pack and ship by the next business day.
- You can never communicate too much, that said I try to relay any relevant information during a transaction as soon as it becomes available.
- I am willing to work with you on whatever you need, I am only a PM away.
Xander's Windows tune up guide
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:42 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddnotez View Post

Ok thanks. I just meant skimp now and upgrade later. Maybe a month or 2 after the build I could start upgrading the parts I went Cheap on.

An EVGA supernova PSU is a good choice. $80 for a 650w Gold.

Then for your budget I would say a gtx 960 for $200 but I'm not all that great with low budget cards lol I've always went all out.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2015, 06:47 AM
I fix Stuff

Rep: 316 (Unique: 244)
Just a rough guestimate of what you might be able to get...

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G7Gtqs
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G7Gtqs/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Plus ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($199.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $780.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 09:46 EST-0500

undoubtedly some of these parts will not be available at micro center but you should save at least $40 on the micro center cpu mobo combo discount.
I find power supplies are a little more spendy at micro center so this is one component you may have to add onto your "to buy online" list of parts.

Helpful Links & Hardware History (Click to show)OCN Marketplace Expectations (Click to show)
- I always test my purchased products before leaving trader feedback. If I bought something from you and you have not gotten feedback give me a little friendly PM bump. smile.gif
- When selling items I do my best to pack and ship by the next business day.
- You can never communicate too much, that said I try to relay any relevant information during a transaction as soon as it becomes available.
- I am willing to work with you on whatever you need, I am only a PM away.
Xander's Windows tune up guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in