Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58] - Page 187 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

Xeon Hacking and Overclocking X79/X99 [Beyond X58]

post #1861 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 21)

Last edited by gofasterstripes; 05-21-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Kana-Maru View Post
Nice, but the pricing for the MB and CPU is turning me off at this point after a quick look at Ebay.

Yeah a lot of newer cases don't have the HDD support some of us want. There's usually a premium price or you'll have to find a older case that's (hopefully) in still in stock. Then there's airflow. I know I can get 6 HDDs\SDDs in my case and there is a internal fan on the removable HDD\SDD Cage. The case has been great for airflow. That internal fan was great for my X58 Northbridge heatsink. I'm pretty much going to retire my HDDs to a RAID 10 backup or something and go full PCIe-SSD\NVMe storage. I've pretty much all SDD-NVMe now. HDDs are just for backup purposes.
Hey! Shizzle, Kana-Maru Amused to see you here. I got distracted and bought a car, so that's where my free time went.

Still rocking x58, I might find a picture of the machine if I can.

The funny thing is, the reason I spotted your reply is that I am pondering a video card upgrade for the old girl, imma tag you in the old the thread....

Good luck with this question!
post #1863 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 01:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Nice, but the pricing for the MB and CPU is turning me off at this point after a quick look at Ebay.
now look on ALI HUANANZHI X99 TF & 2678v3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 05:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 198 (Unique: 128)
Quote: Originally Posted by gofasterstripes View Post
Hey! Shizzle, Kana-Maru Amused to see you here. I got distracted and bought a car, so that's where my free time went.

Still rocking x58, I might find a picture of the machine if I can.

The funny thing is, the reason I spotted your reply is that I am pondering a video card upgrade for the old girl, imma tag you in the old the thread....

Good luck with this question!
Yo man what's up! It's been awhile and tag me for sure. I also had to step away from the enthusiast\IT scene for awhile due to some unfortunate circumstances in life, but I'm back now. Looking at the prices on the X79 and X99 Xeons that have more or less been abused by now, I was thinking about just upgrading my video card as well. However, the Fury X is still doing great with only 4GBs of vRAM @ 4K and 1440p for the games I play. You should check out my X58 gaming review in 2020 + Fury X FineWine. The X58 is STILL viable in 2020 believe it or not. I'll send you a link in PM....Google search works as well, but who wants to do that

I was looking more towards the X79\X99 for the PCIe 3.0 performance more than anything (of course more RAM bandwidth + more cores, better instruction sets and other stuff). I've just about tapped out all of my PCIe performance on my X58 platform. Need more lanes with less latency on the last slot. If not more lanes at least faster lanes + less latency. I'm occupying all of the PCIe slows except the 2nd PCIe-x1 slot (which I'm sure I'll be filling sooner or later). The first two slots are fine though, but even then I'm wondering how well I can run games with a decent video card (Vega 64 - 5700xt - 2070s) once I replace my Fury X.

Overall it's still running fine just trying to see what I want to do next. I wanted to replace the case if I can't get a X79-X99 while I wait for AMD 4000 series and Intel's 10nm before making my next big purchase. Except the cases are lacking a lot of things I need (BAY SLOTS) and the airflow look horrendous on a lot of cases. Especially from the X58 chipset which can get pretty warm with modest overclocks and summer is on the way. So at this point I'd have to get rid of the Delta Fans & Gentle Typhoons (5400 RPM-5200RPM) and nice fan-controller, replacing them with Noctua's fans or something. I don't really care for all of that RGB stuff at all or the premium pricing. I just need something affordable, quiet with good cooling, even on warm days.

Quote: Originally Posted by BOBKOC View Post
now look on ALI HUANANZHI X99 TF & 2678v3
Now those are the prices I'm looking for. Much better. What the heck is that motherboard brand though? I seen it, but mostly ignored it. Is this 2678v3 overclockable? Is their anything better or is this like the lowest price of some of the best high end CPUs (think X5650 - X5660 if you know anything about the X58 platform).
post #1865 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
not overclockable BUT you can unlock their boost to all cores with a bios mod.

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition,Intel Xeon [email protected],7ghz,Corsair XMS3 64GB DDR3(8x8),Samsung 950 PRO 256GB,EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING 8GB,Lian Li PC-60FNWB ,Corsair Gold AX750PSU,Noctua NH-D15 .
Asus Rampage III Gene,Intel Xeon [email protected] 4,5ghz,Corsair XMS3 24GB DDR3(3x8),Samsung 950 PRO 256GB.
Register your evga products.
Buy evga products with discount 5%-10%
post #1866 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Man I cannot stand watching YT Tech videos anymore lol, but hanks for the links though. It would be a nice upgrade, but those coronavirus wait times for shipping. There's just something about the X58 platform that keeps me hooked.
post #1867 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

LOL.

I started this thread saying that TB Unlock was the most likely way to get the clocks up...then my priorities changed, I forgot about the whole thing, now I see Bryan it putting out videos about it and it's the way it's done.

So...how do we hack the Multipliers hahaha
post #1868 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 10:55 PM
voltage controller daemon

Rep: 294 (Unique: 196)

Yeah a lot of newer cases don't have the HDD support some of us want. There's usually a premium price or you'll have to find a older case that's (hopefully) in still in stock. Then there's airflow. I know I can get 6 HDDs\SDDs in my case and there is a internal fan on the removable HDD\SDD Cage. The case has been great for airflow. That internal fan was great for my X58 Northbridge heatsink. I'm pretty much going to retire my HDDs to a RAID 10 backup or something and go full PCIe-SSD\NVMe storage. I've pretty much all SDD-NVMe now. HDDs are just for backup purposes.
I run a minimum of 3 os'es so I always need at least 3 hdd's and a ssd.

"To be an expert is to know more and more about less and less." Albert Einstein
ThrottleMac v1
(16 items)
throttlemeister
(31 items)
CPU
Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2680 v3
Motherboard
MSI x99a SLI PLUS
GPU
MSI RX 580 Gaming X
GPU
XFX RX 580 GTS
RAM
Crucial Technology BLS4G4D240FSA.M8FADM
RAM
SK hynix HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH
Hard Drive
SeaGate Terascale (ST4000NC000-1FR168)
Hard Drive
APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662
Hard Drive
SAMSUNG MZHPU256HCGL-000H1
Optical Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST i
Power Supply
EVGA GQ 850w PSU
Cooling
Rosewill PB240 AIO cooler
Case
Corsair Carbide 400R
Operating System
Windows 10 Home edition(1909)
Operating System
UALinux(Ubuntu- gamepack) 18.04LTS
Operating System
Mac Os X 10.14.1 Mojave
CPU
i7 4970k
Motherboard
gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK
GPU
evga geforce 780ti kingpin classified edition
RAM
corsair vengeance 2x8 1866Mhz
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda
Hard Drive
Crucial M500 SSD
Optical Drive
random dvd multirecorder / cd drive fast sata 6 gbps
Power Supply
evga supernova 1300 g2
Cooling
ex240 rad
Cooling
xspc ax240 kit
Cooling
3 140mm fans plus 6 120mm fans
Cooling
Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste
Cooling
XSPC EX360 crossflow
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
windows 8.1 pro
Operating System
ZorinOS
Operating System
Mac Os X Yosemite
Monitor
Monoprice MPCP28UHD
Keyboard
logitech g510s
Mouse
logitech g500s
Mouse
none
Audio
diamond xtreme sound XS71U
Audio
Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker w/ subwoofer
Audio
Logitech H390 Headset
Other
xbox 360 wireless
Other
logitech driving force gt
Other
logitech c110 webcam
▲ hide details ▲
post #1869 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by djthrottleboi View Post
I run a minimum of 3 os'es so I always need at least 3 hdd's and a ssd.
Trust me I know the feeling, I have roughly 11TBs of space inside my pc now and that's not even counting the backups. I'm compressing and trying to get rid of a lot of data right now. At most I'll probably run around 4 to 6 OS's in the near future which is why I'm looking to eventually upgrade. At the moment I'm only running 2 since work has slowed down. Technically could make it work on the X58, but the I know things would be much easier if I upgrade, plus I'm an enthusiast and love to upgrade parts . I've just about tapped all of the power out of my X58.
post #1870 of 1872 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 10:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hello i am trying to "overclock" my e5 v3 cpu using the microcode exploit once i get to the step of typing in bcfg driver add 0 etc etc i get that it has failed to find the file i have tried using fs 0 1 2 3 4 nothing works. can i get any help on this matter or has anybody run into this before?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in