Skylake-X Binning - Page 24 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Which SKU are you interested in purchasing from Silicon Lottery?
7800X 6C/12T/28PCIe/$389 27 9.12%
7820X 8C/16T/28PCIe/$599 92 31.08%
7900X 10C/20T/44PCIe/$999 87 29.39%
7920X 12C/24T/44PCIe/$1199 15 5.07%
7940X 14C/28T/44PCIe/$1399 10 3.38%
7960X 16C/32T/44PCIe/$1699 7 2.36%
7980XE 18C/36T/44PCIe/$1999 58 19.59%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Skylake-X Binning

post #231 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Customer Support

Rep: 143 (Unique: 98)
10:30PM GMT/UTC. Basically 25 minutes from this time tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Customer Support

Trying to answer some questions that haven't been answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalrelic View Post

Is the 7820X also being hindered by these motherboard issues? Or is it only 10+ core CPUs?

The motherboard problem isn't much of an issue if there's any airflow nearby. Just make sure you grab a board with 8 pin+ 4 pin power connectors for the CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artah View Post

Whatever you do please don't rush/halfass the delidding and Binning, I plan to buy a 7900x and 7980xe (if the clocks are good) CPU with CLU from you, would hate to get one that didn't get the normal SL TLC. I know you have a Sunday launch but would rather have a next Sunday launch to get a carefully prepared CPU. I have not liquid cooled motherboard VRMs before but this rounds looks to call for it.

TLC is our bread and butter- we won't ship unless we're confident. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zornyan View Post

thanks for the response mate, mind if I ask what kind of delivery times you have to the UK? basically if I order Sunday what day should I roughly expect delivery?

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/shipping
Quote:
Originally Posted by SsXxX View Post

so if less core is less problem then more is more trouble, u can only imagine how well will the 18core ones do with the current boards, so much for a platform that is supposed to be scalable and easily upgradable

in any case i will be waiting for the rampage 6 extreme or apex and i guess those will he fine and my cpu of choice will be either the octa or the 10 core

I would wait for some of the newer boards coming out in the next few months if you're really wanting push a 7980XE hard. The R6E and Apex are both very promising boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticial View Post

If I had to guess, the thermals on Skylake X are a hella lot more complicated than I had imagined - especially once you factor in the AVX512 and multiple ways that the CPU can throttle for various reasons.

One of my 7900X's "preferred cores" is actually not stable at stock settings (4.5 GHz) under a single-threaded AVX512 test. And the BIOS is apparently not applying any AVX or AVX512 offset by default. I'm tempted to point the finger at the motherboard/BIOS rather than the CPU itself.

The thermals are part of the issue that was holding us up. Some 7900Xs throttle at 1.05V before delidding under a full AVX512 load (just look at the latest Intel linpack). Without being able to set different voltages along with the AVX/AVX512 offsets, it's hard to push the non-AVX frequency on these chips without hitting a voltage that will cause AVX-512 to throttle. As I mentioned in our emails, I've had frequency/power throttling issues with Gigabyte boards with or without AVX. I think it's just an early bios thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post

wouldn't it be easier to lower the voltage say 1.15v or even less + AVX and go for the highest clock ?..I think you need to use same voltage in order to bin properly if not then go all out for highest freq. with same cooling solution ..just my 2c
Edit; Thanks for the info and your work

As above, the lower the voltage we use to test with, the lower we will be able to advertise non-AVX clocks. It gets pretty extreme, so we have to find a balance between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdBob View Post

That's hotter than I expected after deliding.
Keep up the good work and thanks for the info!

These are not low temperature CPUs. Kaby lake(14nm+) was a fireball itself compared to Skylake(14nm), and these are multiple 14nm+ cores all crammed up next to each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkeller View Post

Would you be willing to share the price you're asking for your highest binned 7900x?

Pricing will be available tomorrow at launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Since every part has it's own average leakage, which is where the default VID, as well as the range likely to be usable, come from, perhaps it would be best to do all the binning around a certain level of clock speed vs. cooling, rather than vs. voltage?

Sticking to one single voltage makes the high leakage parts look artificially good. They do tend to go furthest on the least voltage, but they are often so hard to cool that the practical clock limits can be lower.

This is a problem we were faced with. Things get really messy the more variables we have, and we were trying to reduce variables starting with this launch to make things simpler. We have settled with a compromise between testing with a high and low voltage, to where the low leakage parts almost meet the high leakage parts in the middle.
post #233 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Are the "just de-lidded" chips the binned chips that don't make the cut?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain4W View Post

yeah thats what i am thinking about too.
are the normal delidded chips the ones with bad oc potential?
post #235 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Customer Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain4W View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammler View Post

yeah thats what i am thinking about too.
are the normal delidded chips the ones with bad oc potential?

We only sell binned chips, the listings up now are just placeholders.

Just the 7800Xs and 7820Xs will be going up tonight.

We have to re-validate our 7900Xs- these motherboards have been doing some additional throttling in the background without me even noticing. This has been a pretty painful launch trying to get everything working right. The Asus boards have been giving me the least trouble so far, and will be what we will use for validation from this point on for now.

Also, for those who haven't seen it yet: https://www.overclock.net/t/1633654/changes-coming-to-silicon-lottery
post #236 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Lottery View Post

We only sell binned chips, the listings up now are just placeholders.

Just the 7800Xs and 7820Xs will be going up tonight.

We have to re-validate our 7900Xs- these motherboards have been doing some additional throttling in the background without me even noticing. This has been a pretty painful launch trying to get everything working right. The Asus boards have been giving me the least trouble so far, and will be what we will use for validation from this point on for now.

Also, for those who haven't seen it yet: https://www.overclock.net/t/1633654/changes-coming-to-silicon-lottery

so you recommend Asus boards like x299 deluxe for running 7900x?
post #237 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:17 AM
New to Overclock.net

I wanna get a 7800x. I will be lurking waiting for one lol.

My specs
post #238 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
Customer Support

Quote:

so you recommend Asus boards like x299 deluxe for running 7900x?

Honestly for the 7900X, I'd recommend waiting a couple months for new X299 boards coming out which should hopefully do better with high workloads.

Otherwise, all Asus X299 boards I've tested (strix, deluxe, X299-A) behave pretty close to each other.
post #239 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:36 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Lottery View Post

Honestly for the 7900X, I'd recommend waiting a couple months for new X299 boards coming out which should hopefully do better with high workloads.

Otherwise, all Asus X299 boards I've tested (strix, deluxe, X299-A) behave pretty close to each other.

is it cause of the vrm issue "der 8auer" talked about? high temps like 100 degree on the vrms on full workload?
or do you mean something else?
so are the boards completly useless on full work load?
post #240 of 873 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Customer Support

Quote:

is it cause of the vrm issue "der 8auer" talked about? high temps like 100 degree on the vrms on full workload?
or do you mean something else?
so are the boards completly useless on full work load?

They are far from useless. If you lock yourself in at 1.1V, you won't have any problems or throttling anywhere, and can still get decent overclocks. The problems only arise when trying to eat more of the headroom available on the architecture, power consumption goes through the roof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in