Settings for Intel i5-8600k - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Settings for Intel i5-8600k

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Thanks guys, and do you advise me to update the BIOS or just leave it like that? Should I try to update it with USB stick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 45)
I would update with the USB stick. Overclocking is easy just increase multiplier a little at a time and Vcore by 20mv at a time until stable to a maximum 1.4v and 90c whichever comes first. Use XMP for memory.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel Gsync compatible
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Thanks everyone for your replies. If anyone has other advices I'm all ears.

Also I'd like to know what kind of temperature I should have with my components at stock (not only the CPU but all the components so I make sure everything is in order).

I will update the bios and overclock tonight so if you have estimated temps I should get with oc, that would be very useful too.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Just did the BIOS update. It looks like it significantly improved my performance (without oc so far).
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

So I did OC. I have set the multiplier at 46 and the cache at 44 and that's pretty much it I think. I didn't touch the voltage settings.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by youdo View Post
So I did OC. I have set the multiplier at 46 and the cache at 44 and that's pretty much it I think. I didn't touch the voltage settings.
Sweet your doing good.

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel Gsync compatible
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Okay so you think I'm good to go ? Or should I tweak some other settings ? I have heard that some mobo have dangerous auto settings, should I worry about that?

I also changed my ram for 3200mhz ram (ripjaws V). Should I OC the ram or xmp profile is enough?

Thanks a lot !
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
You can OC without testing stability but if you go around changing the core, cache and ram without stressing any of them along the way what are you going to do when it crashes? Start all over?
I can boot with 200mhz more core than what I have now, I can't imagine just setting some stuff and assuming it was ok.
Auto is fine for most things just not the Auto overclocking crap as you'll end up with an unstable system or way too much voltage all over the place.
Getting the core 100% stable is essential if you don't like getting various crashes and fiddling with the BIOS till you sort it out.

I was about to type out a long list of directions but it's already been done along with the explanations for why:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-int...tatistics.html

Overclocking Kaby and Coffee lake is the same procedure hence the guide.

The voltages I wouldn't leave on auto are the input, core and cache.

If you aren't overclocking anything you can just set everything to it's default value manually, if nothing has been changed it should tell you what they are in the BIOS.
For stock performance stock setting are just fine but there is often much more voltage than is needed. Auto settings tend to over do things when we stress overclocks but for stock systems there is no need to stress it so that will never happen.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 05-31-2018 at 01:14 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

I'll stress the system tonight. What software should I use ?

But to answer your question if it crashes I'd just set the core and cache to a lower settings. I don't really want to play with the voltage and other settings, I don't know well enough OC and don't have enough time to tweak everything. I just want to enhance performance reasonably.

I played a bit yesterday and seemed to work fine and temperatures were good.

Concerning the voltage I don't understand how the auto settings could overvolt since auto = stock. Should I set LLC at the lowest (which is level 5 on my mobo), just in case ?

For the CPU voltage I set it on offset and 0 (which is actually the same as auto) so there should be no overvolt, right ?

I'll also set FCLK to 1ghz, what do you think? It's currently 800mhz.

Last edited by youdo; 05-31-2018 at 01:51 AM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Auto does not mean stock under load. It's an OC board and does OC things, what the CPU wants or commands is almost irrelevant to the board...however if on auto it will give your the correct default vcore and stuff in the BIOS.
If you can't be bothered don't even worry about the cache as it's just another variable and is much less important than core. When overclocking you start with the core and force everything else into a default speed and voltage otherwise you really don't know what is stable or unstable, the ram is next with the cache at the very end.
LLC is a thing that prevents droop, if you aren't overclocking it's not going to help you as auto LLC is the setting for stock voltage.

It's hard to recommend a stress test as I don't know exactly what you've changed. Prime95 small FFT crashes the core and cache very fast while it does little for the ram. Blend hits the ram pretty good but takes longer to crash the core and cache. IMO if you can pass blend overnight the whole thing is good where as Small FFT for 2 hours means the core and cache is stable.

I'd just set each core to 47 with stock voltage and see what happens, if you can cool it stock voltage should do fine. That's what MCE does on an Asus board, just locks each core to the highest boost speed possible.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in