Settings for Intel i5-8600k - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Settings for Intel i5-8600k

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
I don't understand how I'm supposed to set core voltage on stock? If I set it on offset and 0 it's stock right? (And when I do that it sets it to auto that's why I'm saying with my mobo auto = stock at least for this setting).

Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 16)
Man is overclocking dead or what.? There's no guides when u search on google, or I can't read them all. Same on utube, I just get pages of benches/etc for i5-8600k/9600k

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 45)
Quote: Originally Posted by youdo View Post
I don't understand how I'm supposed to set core voltage on stock? If I set it on offset and 0 it's stock right? (And when I do that it sets it to auto that's why I'm saying with my mobo auto = stock at least for this setting).

Thanks a lot.
Stock is Auto Vcore. Can you show a BIOS screen shot of what your trying to set?

i5 8600K OC 5.0GHz
Noctua NH-U14S
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370-HD3
G.SKILL Ripjaws v 16GB F4-3200C14D-16GVK XMP Speed 3200 14-14-14-34
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC ULTRA GAMING
ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel Gsync compatible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
Quote: Originally Posted by youdo View Post

Thanks a lot.
If you're using the offset, that's just a manipulation of the factory VID behavior. Yes that will get you "stock" voltage but not static voltage.
The idea (if I've not said it yet) is for the voltage to always be the same, otherwise the vcore is going to change under different loads. This isn't helpful if you're trying to determine what LLC is doing.
Manually enter the stock vcore value into whatever says manual voltage. I don't have your exact board so you might have to read things like the OC guide and the motherboard manual.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370...dex.asp#Manual
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaltenbrunner View Post
Man is overclocking dead or what.? There's no guides when u search on google, or I can't read them all. Same on utube, I just get pages of benches/etc for i5-8600k/9600k
It is not, no one is chomping at the bit to write up Coffee Lake guides when it's the same arch as Kaby Lake so I'll post it again
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

It takes a long time to write these guides and I learned 99% of my OC knowledge from them after getting my 4690k, I really wish more people asked for them like you did instead of "I want 5ghz, give me the answer".
This was my first overclockable CPU and the first rig I'd ever built from scratch. The guide had literally every answer to every question I had. I knew nothing about overclocking or CPUs at the time.

The gist of the guides is what I repeat in every thread about overclocking:
Manually set static vcore, cache and ram to stock/JDEC speeds and voltage. This prevents the voltages from changing so you know exactly what is what.
Enable your board to draw full current.
Change only the core speed to your desired speed, input vcore to something reasonable but lowish.
Stress with P95 without AVX using Small FFT, it crashes very fast compared to almost anything else. Keep bumping vcore till you can run for about 2 hours.
Leave the vcore static and repeat the same procedure for cache. Same stress test.
Now you're at the ram and you do the same thing again but stress with Blend. Run it for about 6 hours if you want it to be stable af.
Now configure your AVX offset, use RealBench or OCCT for a few hours.

Once your speeds and voltages are what your want and stable enter them into adaptive mode or offset mode. I prefer to add 0.005ish to the value.

Done. There is a lot more that can be configured to help with stability and any interval which is why it's important to have everything static and to only change one thing at a time and make sure it's totally stable each time.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 01-12-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in