Need Help With Intel Build - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need Help With Intel Build

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I didn't say you could only get a 1080TI...also they're going for around $550 right now.
We still have no idea what kind of gaming performance your expecting so it's difficult to recommend anything.
I personally wouldn't buy what's in the last post though. 6 cores and a board that looks like it has a 4 phase VRM paired with a GPU that can't do 1080p Ultra at 60fps. Plus you'd need to spend at least $100 on ram...what PSU do you have?
If you go for what you've picked you'd be spending $650 minimum on a rig that can only just do 1080p/60.
If you upgrade what you have you could spend $200 (maximum) on a 4790k, maybe $350 on a 2060 or a used 1080. With the board you have you should be able to get 4.5ghz out of the CPU and that's enough to do 1440p Ultra/60 in modern games for less money. Like I said I get over 90fps in most games.
I'd much rather upgrade what you have then end up with a 6 threaded CPU with one of the worst z370/z390 boards I've seen. That VRM should not be on an overclocking board lol. If you ever decided to upgrade to a 9900k in the future I have a hard time seeing that board supporting it, especially since it appears to be a z370 board from the limited info I have.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:50 AM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 28 (Unique: 15)
Check if you can get hands on RX580 8GB, it's already past the performance of 1060 6GB.

PC for all
(20 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
GPU
Soon to be 2070 Super FE
RAM
KHX24C11T3K2/16X 11-12-12-32-1T-250
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
SeaSonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Raijintek Tisis lapped+ Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Cooling
Arctic P12 PWM x2
Cooling
Arctic P14 x4
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 310
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I didn't say you could only get a 1080TI...also they're going for around $550 right now.
We still have no idea what kind of gaming performance your expecting so it's difficult to recommend anything.
I personally wouldn't buy what's in the last post though. 6 cores and a board that looks like it has a 4 phase VRM paired with a GPU that can't do 1080p Ultra at 60fps. Plus you'd need to spend at least $100 on ram...what PSU do you have?
If you go for what you've picked you'd be spending $650 minimum on a rig that can only just do 1080p/60.
If you upgrade what you have you could spend $200 (maximum) on a 4790k, maybe $350 on a 2060 or a used 1080. With the board you have you should be able to get 4.5ghz out of the CPU and that's enough to do 1440p Ultra/60 in modern games for less money. Like I said I get over 90fps in most games.
I'd much rather upgrade what you have then end up with a 6 threaded CPU with one of the worst z370/z390 boards I've seen. That VRM should not be on an overclocking board lol. If you ever decided to upgrade to a 9900k in the future I have a hard time seeing that board supporting it, especially since it appears to be a z370 board from the limited info I have.
i'm picking up what you're throwing down now, I just had to do a bit of research. So you think i can OC my current CPU to 4.5GHz or so and upgrade to a GTX 1070? That definitively would save me a large amount of moolaw if I can accomplish OCing it with my current MoBo and cooler(Master Cooler Blizzard T2). My Power Supply is a CORSAIR CX600 80+ bronze. I purchased all of these with the expectation of OCing it awhile ago but kinda gave up, but I think I should try again after seeing your success with this CPU. I'll attempt it. Anything else I should know?

I currently use my rig to stream on twitch. I'm bogged down while streaming and playing at the same time so I just need more processing power I think. I'm not a guru in this sort of thing so I wouldn't mind so literature to know more about OCing and getting the best out of my current rig. Thanks for taking the time to respond White Owl, I appreciate the really great input!

Twitch.tv/bottlecapbellybutton
My Rig
(9 items)
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-A
GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2x8GB RAM
Hard Drive
525 GB SSD
Operating System
Windows 10 pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung 32'
Monitor
LG 27"
Mouse
Razor Naga
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 03:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 136 (Unique: 103)
I know you can OC your CPU to 4.5Ghz but if you're streaming a 4 threaded CPU is pretty bad.
I had no idea you streamed...that makes a huge difference. If that's important to you I'd want something like a 2700/x instead of a 4790k, the latter could do it but it totally depends on the performance you want while playing games and the desired stream quality. Basically you're asking your CPU to run a game while encoding a video which is possible with a lesser CPU but one or the other must suffer.
I've seen some people still using it without issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comm...for_streaming/
...but that heavily depends on what level of performance you're expecting.
If you're already streaming with your CPU, upgrading to a 4790k will give you 30% more CPU performance with the same clock speed.

Your CPU (if running stock) operates at 3.7Ghz with all cores under load so overclocking that to 4.5Ghz is a 20% bump in performance. Going from your CPU (stock) to an OC'd 4790k (4.5Ghz) gets you about a 50% bump in performance. I recently bought a 4790k and it and my 4690k were able to hit 4.5Ghz with a garbage 212 Evo without delidding and 4.7Ghz delidded. 4.5Ghz is a mild OC that any CPU should reach easily, even if it couldn't 4.4Ghz isn't a huge step back.
The GPU isn't going to effect your streaming much aside from the fact that you'll have better performance to run the game which is then used for the stream.

What resolution and framerate do you need and what games do you stream? This is a pretty important metric.

Your PSU is pretty much garbage in 2019 TBH, I wouldn't say that it's dangerous to use but it was only received well in 2013 because it was so cheap and had a 3 year warranty. Not sure if it was 3 years because they didn't want to deal with years of RMAs from a PSU that only cost $60 or because they didn't believe it would last for years and years. It's always your call but I wouldn't use it. Every component in your rig depends on hte PSU and the PSU has the power to destroy each component if something were to go wrong. Since you're about to invest more money into your PC I really wouldn't recommend using it.

FYI My 4790k with 16gb 2400Mhz Cas11 scores about 950 points in CinebenchR15 @ 4.7Ghz, x44 cache
Compare that to the chart and you'll see just how powerful something like a Ryzen 2600 can be for streaming on a budget.
Spoiler!

A 4790k can still do the job IMO but there will be compromises and it may be more cost effective in the long run to upgrade to something like the 2600 or better. Obviously that means new ram and board though.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 01-27-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:02 AM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2749 (Unique: 1629)
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...500-600-a.html

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in