Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick
Are you planning on a GPU upgrade anytime soon (while keeping the same monitor)? If not, any reason you are not considering Ryzen (100% would go Ryzen before getting a 6700k), I do not think really anything from the past few years is going to hold back a GTX 1080 @ 1080p144hz.
If you really want an i7, I would go for the 8700k and save the $ for your next upgrade [GPU and/or monitor]. Really, really nice CPU (sucks the price seemed to go up since I bought mine), not a fan of Intel getting rid of HT for the i7's, but oh well.
From experience, I had an 1800x and a 8700k (both with a 980ti and a 240hz monitor), at the end of the day I could not find a reason to keep the 8700k over the 1800x (the Ryzen gamed well enough [980ti is the bottleneck most of the time] and the i7 seemed like it would be an easier sell and worth more).
I just bought the GTX 1080 a few months ago, and it seems to perform well enough, even with my x5670 that I likely won't upgrade soon. I have not really considered Ryzen because I've been running intel systems since the day I bought an e8400. Prior to that I was a big fan of AMD. I have no allegience to either side.
I did briefly look into ryzen and I took away that it doesn't perform as well as the intel counterparts in gaming by a small margin, is finicky on memory, doesn't OC as well, and still runs pretty hot. Right now the Ryzen 2700x is $250 if I buy it with a MB. I am certainly not opposed to saving $120 on the CPU, that isn't chump change, but I also don't NEED to save that $120. I also have NO idea what parts to buy which means going back to the start and researching again.
The cost of the CPU isn't exactly an issue. but the 9700k is the absolute limit, ideally it would be the chip at the $300 price point, maybe next year? I've never bought a new i7 before, ever. Always the i5, and I always felt the need to upgrade sooner than I would have liked, but now it seems games are utilizing the cores. This time, for my first new build in quite a while, I want to go higher end. The ryzen chips certainly seem to provide bang for buck and are at least considering, this will further muddy the water... Do you have recommendations on a motherboard and RAM for me to start looking at?
Originally Posted by AlphaC
Honestly I'd wait one week for CES 2019 information on Ryzen 3rd gen because it is either going to be better than Intel or drop the price of the i7-9700K and lower by lessening demand.
Well, I don't NEED to upgrade at all, the x5670 does what I want, just slower than I would like. I ripped and transoceded 150+ dvds and 50+ Blue rays all to mp4 split between an i7 950 and x5670. Painful but it did it.
As for waiting, I am on vacation until the 6th, and this is the time where I will have time to focus on building, stress testing, cable management and then hopefully gaming for a while. If I wait, I get a couple of hours at night, at best once or twice a week. I have 2 young kids, they take up all the time I have. This system in some form will likely be my oldest sons first PC, hes 5 now, so 3-4 years? Probably sooner.
So Yeah I can wait for CES, but then I won't have the time i'd like to build the system. I'm not that concerned at the cost savings, I can't imagine it will make the $400 9700k drop to $300. Probably more like $30-40, right? There is also the 25% tariff on electronics that goes into effect next year. I am sure that will get passed on to the consumer at some point.
The main reason I am flipping between the 2 i7s is heat. the 8700k will need to be delidded at some point, and the 9700k doesn't exactly run cool either, plus no HT which has always been a part of the i7 chips.
Hopefully that answers questions about my questions.