Upgrade Time - A Few Changes About Reusing Components
Looks like it might be time for a system upgrade. Not so much because my rig is performing badly - I primarily play Destiny 2 and am happy with performance as is. However, my daughter, who uses my old gaming rig, is getting more heavily into content creation via Photoshop and such. I'm pretty sure that the old Core 2 Quad setup she's on is not the best for this. I guess if I were a super generous parent, I'd just upgrade her rig, but... you know, nothing wrong with hand me down stuff, right?
I currently have a 3770k setup that's been running at 4.9ghz for years on end with no issues. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard and use an original Swiftech H220 cooler in a Silverstone Raven case all drive by a Silverstone ST1000-P. I want to keep the same case, as I love it, it fits where I need it to and I think that the 90 degree rotated design is still one of the best out there.
I've leaning towards a 9900k based system (Although I'm still open to the 9700k - feel free to convince me one way or the other) with a Gigabyte Designaire Z390 motherboard. Obviously, this means new RAM and I'd add an M2 drive as well for the OS.
My daughter's rig is a Q9550 based setup on a EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i motherboard in a Coolermaster Cosmos case with a Silverstone ST75F power supply.
So, here's my questions:
1) My current rig has all custom cabling and sleeving that I made. Can this be reused on the new motherboard? Have the PSU connectors changed between the 3rd Gen I7 and the 9th Gen I9? I have checked out some photos of the two motherboards and am not 100% sure about the 4pin connector on the newer board. I'm currently at work, but hopefully can try to make sure that there is a 4pin somewhere on my current motherboard. I'd really rather not have to make and sleeve new cables if it isn't needed.
2) I have an original H220 from Swiftech. Will this just need a cooling block adapter from Swiftech if I want to reuse it?
2a) If I went with a new Swiftech H240, are those able to be mounted on the bottom of the case?
3) Is my ST1000P power supply up to powering this new build? I'd drop one of my HDD's with the addition of an M2 drive as well as ditching optical drives, etc, so I think the new build might use less power than the current one.
And a couple of questions pertaining to my daughter's rig:
1) Will the ST75F PSU be up to the 3770k?
2) Her rig currently has a pair of 660 Ti video cards. What would be a good single card to replace them with in her machine? I'm thinking a 1060 with high VRAM due to what she uses it for. (She does game, but mostly stuff like The Isle, which I don't think is too system intensive)
Thanks in advance for any help with all the questions!
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Corsair Dominator Platinum
Samsung 970 PRO NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
Samsung 860 EVO
Samsung 850 EVO
WD Caviar Green
Samsung Writemaster DVD/RW
Silverstone Strider PS-ST90F-Ti
Silverstone Raven RV02-EW
Steelseries Arctis 7
▲ hide details ▲