Upgrading old system, 4670k/4690k overclocked vs i5-750 @3.7GHz, gaming in 2018. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrading old system, 4670k/4690k overclocked vs i5-750 @3.7GHz, gaming in 2018.

post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 114 (Unique: 86)
Getting a better cooler is nice but it could be pointless depending on the direction you go.
AMD's CPUs come with a good enough cooler and as long as they are cool enough to get full boost, there is little reason to cool them more.
If you choose an Intel build there is some benefit to having a better cooler but only if you're overclocking. The 212 would be able to cool almost any CPU at stock speeds and allow full boost.
Better coolers are nice but IMO the smart money is spent on the platform, upgrading to a better cooler would be from $30 to $80 which could be spent on a better CPU or faster ram or more storage.
I wouldn't even think about a cooler until you've decided on a platform. Sure the 212 is junk but it's still cooling my 4690k at 4.7ghz and upgrading the cooler wouldn't do a damn thing.

If you're a gamer there's no benefit from any M.2 drive. Load times will be the same but boot times are often faster with a SATA SSD.

Pick a platform and sort the rest out when you have a real game plan because it's totally possible to end up spending money on a better cooler and getting no benefit from it at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Would it be worth getting my 212 installed on an AMD CPU (assuming the heat sink I have is significantly better), or would the stock one they provide suffice in your opinion?
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

I wouldn't spend any money trying to fit a 212 on it. Not even $2.
The stock cooler is very good, check out the 2700x reviews where they use the stock cooler. If AMD's current CPUs scaled with additional vcore I'd probably want a better cooler but the stock one is good for the current state of things.
Since they don't OC well many users actually downvolt their Ryzen chips so that make a better cooler even more pointless.
I'd only upgrade the cooler if you want something like a 8600k or better with a hefty OC.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Now that you mention downvolting.. I've my RX 580 GPU at stock settings, but I've heard some people do something, I think it might be downvolting, to either lower the temps or lower the power usage, or both. I'm not sure if it could have a noticeable performance impact doing that, but if it is essentially the same performance, I might want to do that. I haven't looked into it though. I imagine if it doesn't cause damage to do that, I could extend the life of my GPU, and save some money on power.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

The idea is to remove some of the voltage to improve thermals so the card will boost higher.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Could it not also be used to extend the lifespan of the card without necessarily boosting it?
I think my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB is already clocked pretty high by default, and I want it to last a long time.

I think I've read people talking about that specifically with the RX 580 (perhaps my brand/model in particular),
because I think it stressed the card a lot less while not lowering the performance much or possibly at all.

Oh and regarding the cheap replacement CPU I was recommended, found what looks like a good video, and it seems worth buying:

And another one:
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also seems that CPU is performing pretty smooth for this guy.. but he seems to be in single player which may make a difference (I'd have to confirm), and he's not flying.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Overclocker

Rep: 283 (Unique: 208)
Save up and get 7nm CPU, plus any SSD. Getting a slow 8350 is so not worth it, never was, the performance was always poor compared to competition. The fastest DDR3 you could get is 4790K or 5775C which is very difficult to find at all and has endless OC quirks to get the best out of it.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by dimeuno View Post
Also seems that CPU is performing pretty smooth for this guy.. but he seems to be in single player which may make a difference (I'd have to confirm), and he's not flying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfM9EXHngj4
From what I remember, it was pretty solid in single player, never actually played GTA:O. Hopefully it is possible to start flying without playing too much.

Currently downloading GTAV right now (didn't realize it was 80GB or I would have started it sooner!). Will post some results (note, I got lazy and do not feel like swapping to my 920. I will be testing with an X5650 (6 core Xeon) and will disable cores/hyper threading to try to get closer results (disable 2 cores to get 4c/8t; disable 2 cores and HT to get 4c/4t) and I will probably have it clocked less to account for the small IPC gains from Nehalem to Westmere.

Will report as soon as I finish testing. Will try swap to my 3770K shortly after (though I still think getting a whole new, non-DDR4 platform is not worth the money. At the moment I have 3 Ryzen setups, the X58 stuff and the Z77 stuff; but messing with hardware is more my hobby than anything else at this point (I spend more time re-building stuff [for no reason] than I do playing).
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm not certain how reliable it is in terms of if they will always be there, and I rarely used them, but there should be a few helicopters scattered around the city and LSIA (the airport in the city), probably easier to fly a helicopter (because you can hover) and compare performance in specific areas than with planes. And that is for the GTA Online mode. You'll want to not fly too high because the cars below will stop rendering, and I think that's part of the issue I've had. If you want I could try to find more exact instructions to guide you to a helicopter.

At this point I think the plan probably is to get that X3440 to tide me over (would it be worth getting a better model for a bit more money assuming I was overclocking?), and wait like JackCY said to get a new system, probably a 7nm AMD chip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in