Upgrading old system, 4670k/4690k overclocked vs i5-750 @3.7GHz, gaming in 2018. - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Upgrading old system, 4670k/4690k overclocked vs i5-750 @3.7GHz, gaming in 2018.

post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 68 (Unique: 60)
Quote: Originally Posted by dimeuno View Post
I'm not certain how reliable it is in terms of if they will always be there, and I rarely used them, but there should be a few helicopters scattered around the city and LSIA (the airport in the city), probably easier to fly a helicopter (because you can hover) and compare performance in specific areas than with planes. And that is for the GTA Online mode. You'll want to not fly too high because the cars below will stop rendering, and I think that's part of the issue I've had. If you want I could try to find more exact instructions to guide you to a helicopter.

At this point I think the plan probably is to get that X3440 to tide me over (would it be worth getting a better model for a bit more money assuming I was overclocking?), and wait like JackCY said to get a new system, probably a 7nm AMD chip.
I think they will all top out somewhere around 3.8-4GHz with that cooler (I feel like I had a hard time getting my 760 to 4GHz with a 212; but I cannot for the life of me remember what I did on my x3440), so go with whatever is cheaper. I have seen '50/'60s cheaper than the '40s, but ymmv.

Quick tests; installing W10 on the X58 took a bit longer than I thought it would (hung constantly; I think it took longer to install windows than it did to download GTA). Ran it at 6c/12t @ stock to see what it was like; dips in the high 30's/low 40's in the single player benchmark. Dropped down to 4c/8t @ 3.5GHz | 1400MHz DDR3 9-9-9-24 (12GB triple channel, which may add some perf, but I do not think it will add too much; I can take out a stick tomorrow and retest).

Online ran super smooth (1080p60hz monitor, no vsync); frame rate dropped to the low 60's in first person mode driving (may have hit high 50's, I didn't pay too much attention); first person was constant 70s where I was: started in the city, drove to the airport and then to a heli-spawn area. Frame rate seemed pretty good while flying; hit 60, but was usually above 70. As far as I know there were a bunch of people, but I have no clue how full it is.

Also, just for reference (no idea what settings you were running), I took some pictures (easier than pressing prtscn and putting them on a USB/emailing them to myself) of my settings. Let me know if you want me to increase/change them at all.

For whatever reason the pictures are rotated 90*, if you open them in a new tab, they should be right-side-up.
Edited to higher res shots (medium size was a lot smaller than I thought it would be). MSAA is set to 2x as well (impossible to read in picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0354.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	245812  

Name:	IMG_0353.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	245814  

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	245816  

Name:	IMG_0351.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	245818  

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	245820  

Last edited by Jedi Mind Trick; 01-11-2019 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Pics were too small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thank you for your effort Jedi Mind Trick.

I'm not gonna ask you to test it again, but as I mentioned previously night usually runs pretty smooth except for occasional hitches for me.
It's during midday that most of the bad stuff starts happening consistently, and particular areas are worse than others in the city.
I think it's partly related to the fact that there's far more shadows, and for some reason that pushes the CPU a lot harder (there may be more NPCs and vehicles too).
I have some of my settings higher, and some lower than yours were set. Most of my settings are maxed when I play usually.
The hitching/stuttering would probably be more noticeable with FreeSync + Enhanced Sync On + RTSS set to 73 frames.. because with Vsync off & screen tearing allowed with nothing else to prevent it, it's a bit harder to tell, though it still happens.

I could turn all the settings down and the resolution, and the shadows to low, or off by changing the config file (not in-game), and the stuttering/hitches still happened.

Today I replaced my thermal paste with an Innovation Cooling graphite thermal pad (with the help of a Metro ED500 DataVac for dusting my computer I got recently.. went to town and the whole thing is as clean as it's been in years), tried it out a bit. Oddly GTA5 seemed a bit smoother (didn't notice major hitches/stutters in some of the usual areas.. at the very least not to the same degree), but I'm going to test it more later to see if it was not placebo, or a fluke. It could be my last application of thermal paste was bad, perhaps getting old, but the temperatures seemed fine. Might even be something on the motherboard or some other part was overheating because it was too dusty, and I hadn't managed to clean it with the canned air I'd been using in the past, but it got clean today with my DataVac.

In any case, I'll probably be picking up one of those x3440's or whatever similar model is a reasonable price at some point not too long from now.
Would you recommend buying it on eBay or elsewhere (not sure if there's any other options for such old hardware)?

Last edited by dimeuno; 01-11-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Thank you for your effort Jedi Mind Trick.

I'm not gonna ask you to test it again, but as I mentioned previously night usually runs pretty smooth except for occasional hitches for me.
It's during midday that most of the bad stuff starts happening consistently, and particular areas are worse than others in the city.
I think it's partly related to the fact that there's far more shadows, and for some reason that pushes the CPU a lot harder (there may be more NPCs and vehicles too).
I have some of my settings higher, and some lower than yours were set. Most of my settings are maxed when I play usually.
The hitching/stuttering would probably be more noticeable with FreeSync + Enhanced Sync On + RTSS set to 73 frames.. because with Vsync off & screen tearing allowed with nothing else to prevent it, it's a bit harder to tell, though it still happens.

I could turn all the settings down and the resolution, and the shadows to low, or off by changing the config file (not in-game), and the stuttering/hitches still happened.

Today I replaced my thermal paste with an Innovation Cooling graphite thermal pad (with the help of a Metro ED500 DataVac for dusting my computer I got recently.. went to town and the whole thing is as clean as it's been in years), tried it out a bit. Oddly GTA5 seemed a bit smoother (didn't notice major hitches/stutters in some of the usual areas.. at the very least not to the same degree), but I'm going to test it more later to see if it was not placebo, or a fluke. It could be my last application of thermal paste was bad, perhaps getting old, but the temperatures seemed fine. Might even be something on the motherboard or some other part was overheating because it was too dusty, and I hadn't managed to clean it with the canned air I'd been using in the past, but it got clean today with my DataVac.

In any case, I'll probably be picking up one of those x3440's or whatever similar model is a reasonable price at some point not too long from now.
Would you recommend buying it on eBay or elsewhere (not sure if there's any other options for such old hardware)?
Oh yea, sorry, totally forgot about the night vs day. Just did a bit more testing; lowest I got with 4c/8t flying around in the day was 49 briefly, usually the lows were the mid 50's. Disabled HT (4c/4t) just to see what it was change to: dips into the high 30s lows were low-40s.

Ebay would be the best place to buy from (I do not think you would have much luck finding something locally, on the marketplace here (or [H] forums), or on r/hardwareswap (reddit)), though you may have to pay customs if they are shipping from the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Looks like some good results. If they hold true for my experience when I upgrade to the X3440 or similar model, it should be a notable increase in performance for GTA5. Not sure if you watched some of those videos I shared in a couple recent posts, but I was seeing some really big increases in frame rates for some of the games they tested (the first of the 3 videos was the i5-750 vs the X3440, installed in a budget system he calls "The Potato Masher").

Sounds like I'll be going with eBay to find that CPU, thank you for confirming.

I actually still haven't done any more testing in GTA5 yet to see if cleaning my PC thoroughly with the DataVac has made any changes with my current setup, have been a bit busy with other stuff the last day or so, but I'll report back when I do. Like I said it could have been placebo/a fluke.

In the short-term I'm guessing I'll be pretty happy with the X3440/similar model, and it should help keep me satiated until I save up for something like a 7nm AMD + mobo + RAM.

Like was previously suggested, I should probably get an SSD first, before I focus on a newer CPU.. but I'll grab an X3440 or whichever model before the SSD since it's so cheap.

Last edited by dimeuno; 01-13-2019 at 09:19 AM.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Was just looking to confirm if my motherboard supports the X3440,
and it appears from the official documentation it doesn't:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D/HelpDesk_CPU/

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P7P55D.html

But then on this link you've at least one person saying my same model worked with a Xeon CPU:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...-e-pro.246638/

Will I have to update the bios or anything?

Last edited by dimeuno; 01-17-2019 at 11:48 PM.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Was just looking to confirm if my motherboard supports the X3440,
and it appears from the official documentation it doesn't:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D/HelpDesk_CPU/

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P7P55D.html

But then on this link you've at least one person saying my same model worked with a Xeon CPU:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/s...-e-pro.246638/

Will I have to update the bios or anything?
I would not worry too much about it. ASUS probably didn't test a lot of stuff/did not feel like adding 'official' support for it.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...-e-lx-and-xeon - Someone thinks you may need to update your bios.

- Video showing a similar board running an X3430 (DO NOT GET THIS ONE; no hyper-threading), so the Xeon definitely works in boards that do not have it listed as supported.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards.../HelpDesk_CPU/ - CPU support page for the P55 Deluxe (slightly better board than yours, but shouldn't be so much different that it could support a Xeon while yours would not.

Off the top of my head, I have ran 1156 Xeons on Gigabyte boards (P55M UD2, UD4, and a UD3P; an Asus Gene board; and various MSI boards mostly lower end). Gigabyte does list the Xeons, though they are not really any different than their I7 equivalents other than ECC and maybe another feature or two that you probably won't use anyway.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Alright, checked my bios version to make sure, looks like the newest version is installed. Unless I installed it and forgot about it, the seller (that I bought from on eBay back in 2014 to replace a damaged one) or manufacturer may have installed it. I'm not sure if sellers ever/commonly do things like update firmware.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Mr.4way SLI

Rep: 186 (Unique: 168)
at current pricing I would keep the RX 580 for now and pick up a Ryzen 2600 and matching B450 or X470 board and a decent set of mem. I was just upgrading for a guy I know and we ended up skipping the 4770k option from his i3 because of cost. The 4670k, 4770k, 4790k are still up in price to the point it makes no sense to not look at just getting the new Ryzen. I went for the 2700x setup to replace my brothers [email protected] and it was a massive upgrade for him and the same reason I got a 2700x to replace one of my older rigs.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Moparman View Post
at current pricing I would keep the RX 580 for now and pick up a Ryzen 2600 and matching B450 or X470 board and a decent set of mem. I was just upgrading for a guy I know and we ended up skipping the 4770k option from his i3 because of cost. The 4670k, 4770k, 4790k are still up in price to the point it makes no sense to not look at just getting the new Ryzen. I went for the 2700x setup to replace my brothers [email protected] and it was a massive upgrade for him and the same reason I got a 2700x to replace one of my older rigs.

I also updated my 4770k to a ryzen 2700x, I didn't expect it to be such a huge upgrade but performance is incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in