Input needed for gaming upgrade. - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Input needed for gaming upgrade.

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Are the board and CPU BNIB?
I could give you OC advise but that's another thread/topic, otherwise this will get cluttered (by everyone) pretty quickly. If you want to OC your CPU there are loads of guides for Sandy, Ivy, Haswell and so on to Kaby/Coffee. Here's the guide for your CPU and I recommend following it as closely as you can, try to really take in the information even if it takes a few reads as Darkwizie's guides outline the fundamentals of OCing most CPUs with info relevant to this generation. Kaby=Coffee Lake, the only difference (in overclocking) is core count.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

As for your current/future rig, if you got that good of a deal you really can't loose. 6 cores are still very capable and will be for some time and the board is plenty for you to upgrade to any CPU in the current line up or even an 8700k (which is easily delidded). The 9600k can also be dilidded if you can't get the OC you want but I'd try a better cooler first and see where you land. Get 16gb RAM minimum and check your board's QVL, pick something off that if you can. I realize that almost any kit of 3200Mhz ram will work on the board but I feel like if you stick to the QVL there could be some advantages when OCing the CPU or the ram. May not be true at all but I'd prefer the QVL myself, you can also look at a kit of ram and find what they have tested the ram on. I wouldn't want to pay for anything more than 3200Mhz ram and I wouldn't want less than 3000Mhz. Faster ram can show some improvement but you get the bulk of your performance gains at around 3200mhz. I'd buy that and try to OC it further after you get the core 100% stable.

For coolers I'd recommend the True Spirit 140 Power if your case will allow the height. The Cryorig H5 is a good option but it's not as effective. The H7 is cheaper but will also be a bit warmer. If you plan on upgrading to something like the 9900k the True Spirit would be a better option there, or you might want to spend a little more on an larger cooler. On a 6 core there will be little difference between the TS140P and a Noctua D15 (very large cooler) but there would be if you were using a 9900k. Personally I wouldn't want less than the TS140P and if you don't have a case yet I'd plan around that cooler height. Anything cheaper (that I've seen) also performs and it actually outperforms many coolers almost twice it's size and is almost on par with the highest tier of air coolers. The highest teir of air coolers can beat it by quite a bit but I've only seen it happen with chips that put out a lot of heat which makes perfect sense.

With the deal you got you can't really loose, you could use it for 2 years and likely still sell it for a profit. Or sell it BNIB for a profit now. Or keep it and use it forever. If you can get another deal like that LMK and I'll pay shipping

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I succumbed to temptation and found, and ordered, a True Spirit Power 140. I saw @doyll test here, and he also commented on the Fractal Define R4 case in the thread. Plenty of space for my current memory, being CML16GX3M4A1600C9 Corsair Vengeance sticks. Now to have some more fun with the current setup.

Thank you.

Fractal Design R4
Intel i7-3770K
Asus P8P67 Pro
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Samsung 750 500 GB
...more
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Are the board and CPU BNIB?
I could give you OC advise but that's another thread/topic, otherwise this will get cluttered (by everyone) pretty quickly. If you want to OC your CPU there are loads of guides for Sandy, Ivy, Haswell and so on to Kaby/Coffee. Here's the guide for your CPU and I recommend following it as closely as you can, try to really take in the information even if it takes a few reads as Darkwizie's guides outline the fundamentals of OCing most CPUs with info relevant to this generation. Kaby=Coffee Lake, the only difference (in overclocking) is core count.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-in...tatistics.html

As for your current/future rig, if you got that good of a deal you really can't loose. 6 cores are still very capable and will be for some time and the board is plenty for you to upgrade to any CPU in the current line up or even an 8700k (which is easily delidded). The 9600k can also be dilidded if you can't get the OC you want but I'd try a better cooler first and see where you land. Get 16gb RAM minimum and check your board's QVL, pick something off that if you can. I realize that almost any kit of 3200Mhz ram will work on the board but I feel like if you stick to the QVL there could be some advantages when OCing the CPU or the ram. May not be true at all but I'd prefer the QVL myself, you can also look at a kit of ram and find what they have tested the ram on. I wouldn't want to pay for anything more than 3200Mhz ram and I wouldn't want less than 3000Mhz. Faster ram can show some improvement but you get the bulk of your performance gains at around 3200mhz. I'd buy that and try to OC it further after you get the core 100% stable.

For coolers I'd recommend the True Spirit 140 Power if your case will allow the height. The Cryorig H5 is a good option but it's not as effective. The H7 is cheaper but will also be a bit warmer. If you plan on upgrading to something like the 9900k the True Spirit would be a better option there, or you might want to spend a little more on an larger cooler. On a 6 core there will be little difference between the TS140P and a Noctua D15 (very large cooler) but there would be if you were using a 9900k. Personally I wouldn't want less than the TS140P and if you don't have a case yet I'd plan around that cooler height. Anything cheaper (that I've seen) also performs and it actually outperforms many coolers almost twice it's size and is almost on par with the highest tier of air coolers. The highest teir of air coolers can beat it by quite a bit but I've only seen it happen with chips that put out a lot of heat which makes perfect sense.

With the deal you got you can't really loose, you could use it for 2 years and likely still sell it for a profit. Or sell it BNIB for a profit now. Or keep it and use it forever. If you can get another deal like that LMK and I'll pay shipping
Sorry, I didn't answer your question...yes, both new in the box. Totally lucked out, aside from wondering which way to go with it. I actually put it the Asrock up for sale on a local app for less than Newegg sells it for, on sale, even before you factor in any shipping or tax (Newegg is somewhat local, so I always get to pay (currently 9.5%) sales tax when I buy from them.

I'm going to look for a good Sandy Lake guide and give it go. Thank you

Fractal Design R4
Intel i7-3770K
Asus P8P67 Pro
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Samsung 750 500 GB
...more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Input needed for gaming upgrade.

Adjusted memory to 1600mhz and DRAM voltage to 1.55, adjusted CPU to 45x, cpu voltage to 1.25, running IntelBurn Test now on Very High setting, 20x.

Just starting to get some heat in, one core has hit 74C so far, which is much more than I’ve been seeing (obviously due to higher clock and voltage). So far the 212 cooler is able to keep up, new cooler on the way.

Fractal Design R4
Intel i7-3770K
Asus P8P67 Pro
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Samsung 750 500 GB
...more
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 13 (Unique: 13)
Quote: Originally Posted by Karch View Post
Adjusted memory to 1600mhz and DRAM voltage to 1.55, adjusted CPU to 45x, cpu voltage to 1.25, running IntelBurn Test now on Very High setting, 20x.

Just starting to get some heat in, one core has hit 74C so far, which is much more than I’ve been seeing (obviously due to higher clock and voltage). So far the 212 cooler is able to keep up, new cooler on the way.
Don't forget, delid tools are really cheap now and that can make a big difference on just about any intel cpu, new or old.

4.5ghz at 1.25 volts is really good though, if stable. Most chips would need around 1.3-1.35v to hit 4.5ghz.

i7 7700kK @4.2ghz
16GB DDR4 3200mhz
GeForce 1080 Ti
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
Don't forget, delid tools are really cheap now and that can make a big difference on just about any intel cpu, new or old.

4.5ghz at 1.25 volts is really good though, if stable. Most chips would need around 1.3-1.35v to hit 4.5ghz.

Are the delid tools all the same? Do I really need to delid?

I’m running Prime95 right now. I am a very impatient person, so I don’t know how I can run it for 12 hours straight .

I ran the IntelBurn test for 20 passes and it passed at 4.5Mhz, 1.25V.

Currently into Prime95 for about an hour and 15 minutes and all four cores are below 60C at the moment. Of course, ambient is around 18C in the room, and I happen to have the two side panels open (not purposefully for this test, but I opened one to check a fan connector and the other to check cooler height clearance).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Design R4
Intel i7-3770K
Asus P8P67 Pro
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Samsung 750 500 GB
...more
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 7)
Quote: Originally Posted by Karch View Post
Are the delid tools all the same? Do I really need to delid?

I’m running Prime95 right now. I am a very impatient person, so I don’t know how I can run it for 12 hours straight .

I ran the IntelBurn test for 20 passes and it passed at 4.5Mhz, 1.25V.

Currently into Prime95 for about an hour and 15 minutes and all four cores are below 60C at the moment. Of course, ambient is around 18C in the room, and I happen to have the two side panels open (not purposefully for this test, but I opened one to check a fan connector and the other to check cooler height clearance).

I run the long tests overnight while I sleep. Also if i pass intel burn test then I rarely get no errors in the first few hours. If temps are ok and its stable then no you dont need to delid. Especially on older soldered chips.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

And War, War Never Changes
Rampage
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i7 6850K
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Edition 10
GPU
eVGA RTX2080Ti FTW3 Ultra
RAM
G.Skill Trident Z
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro
Power Supply
Corsair HX850
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
eVGA DG-87
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Monitor
HP 2511x
Keyboard
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mousepad
Roccat Alumic
Audio
Hyper X Cloud II
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thank you very much.

Fractal Design R4
Intel i7-3770K
Asus P8P67 Pro
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Samsung 750 500 GB
...more
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I ran Prime95 for 9 hours overnight and the hottest any core got was about 68C.

Hwmonitor did report the cpu voltage hit a high of about 1.68V, I don’t know if that’s a true measurement or what?

I think I have it set about 1.25V, but I’m not positive as I’m at a veterinarians’ waiting room at the moment.

I did play BF5 last night with no issues, but my graphic settings aren’t very high.

Thanks.

Fractal Design R4
Intel i7-3770K
Asus P8P67 Pro
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
Samsung 750 500 GB
...more
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 135 (Unique: 102)
Use HWinfo, HWmonitor has been broken for years lol
You only need to delid if you can't use the voltage you want. It can easily be done with liquid metal and a vise. I've done it to 3 Haswell chips now.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in