X99 Sabertooth TUF Xeon 2650 V4 Boot Loop - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

X99 Sabertooth TUF Xeon 2650 V4 Boot Loop

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
X99 Sabertooth TUF Xeon 2650 V4 Boot Loop

Hello, long time follower, (have an account actually but cant remember credentials.) But, anyways I have a friend I was helping out with a Workstation build Utilizing The Following Components.
This is a workstation build not intended for gaming, I am aware that this processor makes no since for gaming.

CPU: Intel - Xeon E5-2650 V4 2.2 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: ADATA - Premier Pro SP600 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB Dual Video Card
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Needless to say He had bought the $500 motherboard and Case several years ago to start this build and then was sidetracked by life.

So needless to say here we are now. (we bought components to match up with what he had to save money.)

First We used a Xeon E5-1650 V3 to get the motherboard to post. (then after fidling with things we got the NVME drive to show up and installed an OS to test for stability, because he's had this board for 5 years and it made since to check.) It checked out okay, Once we got past bios Hickups.

We then went about updating bios Still was fine, then we dropped the 2650 V4 in there. (NO OVERCLOCKING AS THIS IS A LOCKED CHIP)

This is where the real trouble begins, The system now only boots after Clearing Cmos. You can then get into the bios edit things, but as soon as you save and exit, or load optimized and exit, or just cancel and exit. The system will not boot back over again. I am currently getting ready to RE-Flash the Bios (we flashed to most recent version 3701 I believe.) I will post back if that is the issue.

Please note all testing is done from a breadboard situation, Ram has been changed repeatedly (different modules in different slots etc, single module at a time.) We have only tested standard DDR4 ram as ECC Ram can cause further incompatibilities (and we are still waiting for it to arrive.)

We also tested with several different GPU's and 2 Different Power supplies.

So can anyone give me an idea what's up, I feel like the most likely cause is some setting within the bios that needs adjusted, but honestly I've been beating my head against the walls for 2 days on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So note, as I was going to reflash the bios, (and realized I inserted the wrong USB) I cancelled out of bios and it has booted to windows … Nothing changed just the same clear cmos, go into bios, cancelled out of it. So I'm completely lost, I'm not sure what to think here any thoughts?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

However upon restarting the PC, It does not Post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 126 (Unique: 96)
Maybe put the other CPU in and disable MCE and any XMP profiles? Just a guess, it's not uncommon for the boards to be set from the factory to run beyond stock performance by forcing the single core boost and every core and allowing more current. Maybe the locked down chips doesn't like that?

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I hadn't thought about multi-core enhancement I will attempt to do that. (it does actually boot to bios after a bios reset but only after a bios reset.) I have disabled XMP profiles before attempting to reset before I will try both. I was under the impression that XMP settings didn't effect BCLK strap until 3000MHZ where it bumps up to the 125 strap.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
Maybe put the other CPU in and disable MCE and any XMP profiles? Just a guess, it's not uncommon for the boards to be set from the factory to run beyond stock performance by forcing the single core boost and every core and allowing more current. Maybe the locked down chips doesn't like that?
Disabling Multi-Core Enhancement and XMP had no change. (tried each separately as well.)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 42 (Unique: 34)
Hi,
Might try bios 2101 instead.

Vaper
(4 items)
CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS x299 TUF Mark 2
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 pro & 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D with added 2nd floor to house radiator on top
Operating System
Win-7 and 10 pro Win-7 Primary os.
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'll test that as well, seems odd to go back in Bios so far, but I will test it.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

That didn't work at all either, This has been a very irritating experience. Starting to wonder if there's not something just inherently wrong with this system.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

We did get another motherboard in today, a MSI X99 Sli Krait edition, that seems to be handling it just fine. So TBH I'm lost, I'm gonna guess he got unlucky and several years ago bought a DOA motherboard, that he didn't/couldn't test properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in