New Build for Day Trading / Gaming - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

New Build for Day Trading / Gaming

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post
Are you really trading intra day or are your time horizons more like weekly or monthly.

What are you trading? Are you trading stocks, options, futures, ETFs, commodities, etc?

If you are trading very small time frames, then I would not use any sort of gaming machine for trading. I would be looking at building a server style machine and paying the extra amount for xeon cpus, ECC ram, and redundant power supplies.
Typically stocks, very short time time frames. Not very high volume though most days. 10-15 executions would be a very high day for me.

Can you shed a bit more light on why you would go that direction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 506 (Unique: 335)
Quote: Originally Posted by jmoney05txst View Post
Typically stocks, very short time time frames. Not very high volume though most days. 10-15 executions would be a very high day for me.

Can you shed a bit more light on why you would go that direction?
I can give you a bunch of examples, but ultimately the issues is that I have had a number of situations where my gaming computer would lock up and prevent me from executing a trade.

The worst situation I had was where I was trading futures and I had not realized that my trades were all client side operations rather than server side. So my computer went sideways and took out my stop loss and by the time I had rebooted, I had lost over 2K.

I would say over half of my issues have just been with windows alone (The other half seems to be random issues with memory, and yes, I have tried changing the ram). No matter how I try to strip windows 10 down, it always tries to screw with me by throwing me some stupid message in the middle of a trade.

I either use linux on my server system to trade now, or I use my mac pro trash can to trade. If I absolutely have to use windows 10, I now use a cracked version of windows 10 ltsb on my mac pro.

Right now I am of the mindset where if you are using a computer to make money and uptime is important, it is much better to invest in a professional grade computer. 1 or two mishaps could end up costing the whole value of the computer anyways.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Quote: Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post
I can give you a bunch of examples, but ultimately the issues is that I have had a number of situations where my gaming computer would lock up and prevent me from executing a trade.

The worst situation I had was where I was trading futures and I had not realized that my trades were all client side operations rather than server side. So my computer went sideways and took out my stop loss and by the time I had rebooted, I had lost over 2K.

I would say over half of my issues have just been with windows alone (The other half seems to be random issues with memory, and yes, I have tried changing the ram). No matter how I try to strip windows 10 down, it always tries to screw with me by throwing me some stupid message in the middle of a trade.

I either use linux on my server system to trade now, or I use my mac pro trash can to trade. If I absolutely have to use windows 10, I now use a cracked version of windows 10 ltsb on my mac pro.

Right now I am of the mindset where if you are using a computer to make money and uptime is important, it is much better to invest in a professional grade computer. 1 or two mishaps could end up costing the whole value of the computer anyways.
Great insight, thanks for your thoughts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in