2019 Build Advice. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2019 Build Advice.

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 13)
2019 Build Advice.

Hey guys,

So I am looking to finally upgrade my gaming rig this year. I have been deferring doing this for quite some time because my current rig has been able to game pretty well(even now) on the games I currently play. I haven't had consistent stable income either, which was obviously deterring me from splurging an a luxury purchase like building a new rig. Anyways, I got a full time gig in August that is stable and pays well enough that I can upgrade my rig comfortably now so I have been doing a tiny bit of research on the latest hardware and contemplating what direction I should go.

I guess my first main question is, should I wait a bit longer to see what AMD's Ryzen 3XXX series looks like before making this purchase as obviously it will probably help bring down prices of a 9900k if I wait just a couple more months, or I could even go with an AMD solution this time around. For the gaming I currently do I really am in no rush to upgrade as my rig is actually still fairly competent. I put a 1660 ti in it and have my good old, faithful, sandy 2700k @ 4.7 GHZ, even on a game like AC Odyssey on Vhigh settings I still push [email protected] 99% of the time.

My second question pertains to the actual components of the rig, here is a link to what my build currently looks like, would there be any red flags, or changes I should make that could A. Save me money for equivalent performance or better. B. Anything I am missing or overlooking.

https://www.amazon.ca/hz/wishlist/ls...?ref_=wl_share

Last edited by immakulate; 03-24-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 155 (Unique: 136)
Honestly. I would wait for Intels 10nm to drop if you are willing to wait. SUPPOSEDLY theres finally an IPC improvement
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by kill View Post
Honestly. I would wait for Intels 10nm to drop if you are willing to wait. SUPPOSEDLY theres finally an IPC improvement
When is that supposed to happen? This year?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 72 (Unique: 60)
I would wait a while to see what Ryzen 3XXX is like

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by martinhal View Post
I would wait a while to see what Ryzen 3XXX is like
I am leaning towards this yeah, I mean it's supposed to release late July/early August, only a couple months. It would allow me to save some more cash and just outright pay for the PC without having to transfer some of the balance onto a LOC anyways. Especially if the performance gains are on par or greater than what intel is offering at a competitive or even better price point(fingers crossed) this would obviously be my best option if I just wait I'm thinking.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:58 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote: Originally Posted by immakulate View Post
Hey guys,

So I am looking to finally upgrade my gaming rig this year. I have been deferring doing this for quite some time because my current rig has been able to game pretty well(even now) on the games I currently play. I haven't had consistent stable income either, which was obviously deterring me from splurging an a luxury purchase like building a new rig. Anyways, I got a full time gig in August that is stable and pays well enough that I can upgrade my rig comfortably now so I have been doing a tiny bit of research on the latest hardware and contemplating what direction I should go.

I guess my first main question is, should I wait a bit longer to see what AMD's Ryzen 3XXX series looks like before making this purchase as obviously it will probably help bring down prices of a 9900k if I wait just a couple more months, or I could even go with an AMD solution this time around. For the gaming I currently do I really am in no rush to upgrade as my rig is actually still fairly competent. I put a 1660 ti in it and have my good old, faithful, sandy 2700k @ 4.7 GHZ, even on a game like AC Odyssey on Vhigh settings I still push ~60FPS 99% of the time.

My second question pertains to the actual components of the rig, here is a link to what my build currently looks like, would there be any red flags, or changes I should make that could A. Save me money for equivalent performance or better. B. Anything I am missing or overlooking.

https://www.amazon.ca/hz/wishlist/ls...?ref_=wl_share
The PSU is extreme overkill for you. You could have all the power you'd ever need with a good quality-made 550W PSU. With the 850W G3, you could have three high-end video cards in your system.

The CPU is major overkill for you and ridiculously expensive, and I think it always will be.

If you want to upgrade right now instead of waiting for Ryzen 3000 series this summer or Intel's new 10nm CPUs, get the i7-8700K.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
The PSU is extreme overkill for you. You could have all the power you'd ever need with a good quality-made 550W PSU. With the 850W G3, you could have three high-end video cards in your system.

The CPU is major overkill for you and ridiculously expensive, and I think it always will be.

If you want to upgrade right now instead of waiting for Ryzen 3000 series this summer or Intel's new 10nm CPUs, get the i7-8700K.

Ah yeah, I wasn't sure how much power I would actually need. I kind of just knew 850W would be more than enough and the price wasn't terrible. Honestly, if I am going to build I'm going with a top end CPU like a 9900k because I am looking into grabbing a VR headset and upgrading my monitor to a 1440P 144hz(currently 1080P 144hz). I do play shooters and like to push as much frames as I can in games. There of course would be some element of 'future-proofing'(in theory) involved here with Moore's Law coming to an end I feel like this PC could last me another 5 years+ easily. I have been able to stretch out my last build for 7years at this point(insane how much longevity I got out of this build tbh). The rate of progress in computing power is definitely not advancing like it once was. This build puts me at ~2450 CAD taxes in which I'm totally comfortable with spending. I would just swap my 1660ti into it and probably around xmas time upgrade the GPU to a 2080ti or maybe Navi if it actually performs well.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Not new to Overclock.net

Rep: 6214 (Unique: 3521)
Quote: Originally Posted by immakulate View Post
Ah yeah, I wasn't sure how much power I would actually need, I kind of just did knew 850W would be more than enough and the price wasn't terrible. Honestly, if I am going to build I'm going with a top end CPU like 9900k because I am looking into grabbing a VR headset and upgrading my monitor to a 1440P 144hz(currently 1080P 144hz). I do play shooters and like to push as much frames as I can in games. There of course would be some element of 'future-proofing' involved here with Moore's Law is coming to an end and I have been able to stretch out my last build for 7years at this point(insane how much longevity I got out of this build tbh). The rate of progress in computing power is definitely not advancing like it once was. This build puts me at ~2450 CAD taxes in which I'm totally comfortable with spending. I would just swap my 1660ti into it and probably around xmas time upgrade the GPU to a 2080ti or maybe Navi if it actually performs well.
Spend some time looking at how the 8700K compares to the 9900K. Look at videos on YouTube, read expert articles, look at comparison sites. For the money, the 9900K is just a bad purchase and the 8700K would be able to do everything you want to do and more.

Loneliness is a good thing to share with someone.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.
CPU
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage)
Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850)
GPU
MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming Titanium 8G
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9
Hard Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (OS)
Hard Drive
3 TB Toshiba P300 (D: drive)
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner
Optical Drive
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner
Power Supply
Corsair RM550x
Cooling
Thermaltake Frio
Case
CM 690
Operating System
Windows 10 Home
Monitor
AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC)
Keyboard
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO
Mouse
Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate
Mousepad
It's just a mousepad
Audio
X-Fi Titanium HD
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable speaker wires)
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Spend some time looking at how the 8700K compares to the 9900K. Look at videos on YouTube, read expert articles, look at comparison sites. For the money, the 9900K is just a bad purchase and the 8700K would be able to do everything you want to do and more.

Hmm, yeah you're right. It seems with both CPU'[email protected] on all cores the performance is literally identical in games. My intuition would tell me this has to do with the games not taking advantage of the 9900k's other cores though. Is it possible that with the release of next gen consoles and future games we would not see better utilization of multi-threaded gaming? Would the extra 2 cores not lead to greater performance gains in this case?

At any rate, I will take your guys advice and wait to see what AMD looks like later this year. When is intel going to 10nm?

Out of curiosity could I reasonably expect an 8700k to make 5GHZ on all cores, or does it require getting a silicon lottery chip?

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2748 (Unique: 1629)
If you want a quiet PSU the G3 is not it and there are much better options that are more quiet, and as said 850 watts is way overkill
https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-p...e-problem.html

And dont buy a CLC cooler they are overhyped overrated overpriced loud unreliable and a stupid fashion gimmick
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...lc-cooler.html

And last if your PC is a gaming rig you can drop the NVME drives as they are not faster or better in any way over drives using the older AHCI protocole
A Samsung 860 Evo or a Crucial MX500 is cheaper and they come in M.2 form as well

Seravee
(30 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Corsair Force MP510 1,92 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 with Cherry MX Silent
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
HyperX Fury S XL
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod 30 CM Magnetic Red LED strip
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 03-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in