Overclock.net banner

Mid-range Build

3K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  keikei 
#1 ·
So that last time I built a computer was in 2006. I've wanted to build again for some time and I've finally gotten around to going for it. It took some convincing of my wife but she's open to it because I need something I can efficiently edit video and photos from trips. I've got a ton of video just sitting on hard drives and nothing to edit with.. I'd also like to do a little gaming on occasion.
So here's the list I've come up with so far:

$ 64.99 - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-06 Tempered Glass RGB Mid-Tower ATX Case, White
$149.89 - ASUS Prime Z370-A II (Intel 9th Gen)
$158.99 - Intel Core i5-9400F Desktop Processor 6 Cores 4.1 GHz Turbo Without Graphics
$ 69.99 - DEEPCOOL Liquid AIO CPU Cooler, Captain 240 RGB, SYNC RGB
$184.99 - XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5
$ 79.99 - Patriot Viper 4 Series Extreme Performance DDR4 16GB (2 X 8GB) 3200MHz Kit (PC4-25600)
$ 79.99 - EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W, Fully Modular
$ 32.94 - SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB Internal SSD
$ 49.98 - Western Digital RE4 2TB HDD
$108.00 - Microsoft Windows 10 Home - USB
$249.99 - Sceptre C325B-144R 32" 144Hz 1800R Curved AMD FreeSync Gaming Monitor

$1223 - Total from amazon. Prices fluctuate a little but I'm trying to keep it under $1300. I've got a MicroCenter close to home that I can build for about the same price too.

Any thoughts, criticisms, critiques? Does anyone know of any Memorial Day sales coming up?

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice but... 9400f is a locked cpu meaning, you can use a B360 mobo and 2666mhz memory and ditch the aio cooler, or get the 9600k (unlocked cpu) and DITCH THE AIO and get something like a cryorig h7 minimum. Also I've heard mixed things about the evga psu's some good some not, not sure about that one but maybe consider seasonic focus or corsair rx if they fit in the budget (unless the evga is one of the good ones). IPS monitor for photos and videos since most have good color reproduction

• Rep+
Reactions: mrreilly
#3 · (Edited)
Bump the memory to 32 gigs.

*Also, you may not need to purchase win10. You can download a win10 usb boot and install from there. You can skip the key section and register later, but with that version you can't use the customized options in windows. If you dont care about aesthetics, then you save $.

• Rep+
#4 ·
Get an air cooler instead its cheaper more quiet and more reliable and also better if you buy something like a Noctua NH-U12A or NH-D15
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-...y-you-should-probably-not-buy-clc-cooler.html

And while the EVGA G2 is not bad it is on the older side and the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is newer and better and often cheaper
And last drop the Windows USB you can download Windows 10 for free on the MS website to any random USB device and you can buy a digtal key online for far less money

• Rep+
#5 ·
High refresh rate freesync panel costs much more than the 580, which will struggle anyway delivering 144hz in AAA titles. Further more, 1080p on a 32" screen is ghastly (the pixel density is catastrophically low, image quality will be terrible).

RX 580 is a fine 1080p 60hz GPU but if you want high refresh rates or high resolutions, particularly in AAA titles, you need to look at the next tier up GPU's.

Buy an OEM license for Windows 10 from Ebay for like $10 and put the rest towards hardware improvements.
Further savings can be had in the CPU/Mobo/RAM section. A Z370 board + i5 9400F cpu? Priorities are completely wrong here unless you are planning to replace that CPU in the near future with something like a 9700K.

• Rep+
#7 ·
1080P on a 32 inch give you a PPI of 68,64 which is way too low and it will make the picture look horrible, so either pick a 24 inch 1080P screen or move up to 4K if you want a 32 inch
Also since this is a work build have you considered going with AMD Ryzen instead? it might end up being better cheaper or both

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. This is exactly why I came here. Obviously my inexperience and unfamiliarity with the latest hardware is showing. So my takeaways are:

Better monitor.. Any recommendations for under $300? would like at least a 27"...
CPU Mobo combo would be a good way to go. I'd like the i5 9600k. Whats a good mobo to go with? I haven't considered AMD really. No real reason other than I guess deep down I'm just brand loyal to Intel.. I could be convinced otherwise I suppose.
No liquid CPU cooling.
I'll get more RAM if the budget allows. Also go with next tier GPU is money allows.
Thanks for the sugestions about Windows 10. I had no idea.
I'll go with a better PSU. Already found some for about the same price. I shouldn't need more than 450/500 watts right?

#9 ·
If you want a 32", the LG 32GK650F is a 144hz 1440p VA panel for $330. Otherwise the Viotek GN27DW 27" is a 1440p/VA/144hz for $310. I wouldn't buy a 27" 1080p monitor personally.

For motherboard either the Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Pro or Elite. Pro is marginally better than the Elite but just get the cheaper of the two, it'll make no difference with a 9600K.

For PSU the Seasonic Focus 650w is $71 but it's only semi-modular though. You can get the fully modular Focus Plus 550w for $74 if you want that.

#10 · (Edited)
AMD is on the way with their gen 3 of their Ryzen architecture which will be shown at Computex at the end of this month so unless you have a need for a new system right here and now i would wait those 3 weeks and see what AMD has on the way

Personally i would not consider Intel too much if i where on a budget and while loyalty is fine dont let it blind you into buying something worse and more expensive just because brand x is slapped on it so keep an open mind

#11 ·
#12 · (Edited)
4K on a 27 inch is the extreme on the other of the scale and you have to sit pretty close to it when the PPI is so high at 163,18
I would consider 1440P on a 27 inch to be a better balance its not too low like say 1080P on a 30-32 inch and not too high like 4K on a 24-27 inch

Since the OP wants a build for work more than gaming i want to ask is 60hz not good enough if you will be working more than gaming?

Newegg has an open box Asus PB278Q which is a 27 inch IPS panel monitor for $298
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...n=PB278Q&cm_re=PB278Q-_-24-236-294R-_-Product

It is only a 60hz but its an IPS panel monitor which means far better color reproduction than you get with TN

#13 ·
Another vote for AMD. You get more cores for less price than Intel. Don't get an i5 they suck. For the same price you can AMD 2600X 6 Cores/12 threads.

Don't be "loyal" to Intel, they did nothing to deserve it. AMD is catching up to them very quickly and gaining share all the time, and Intel has had bad 2019, and outlook to 2020 as well they are stuck on 14nn process.

#15 ·
Converted your build to an AMD equivalent...
Changed the cooler to something more quiet with performance better than many water cooling systems.. Less fancy but better price/performance ratio.
Left the rest similarly to your own.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($47.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($227.93 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - Carbide SPEC-06 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.94 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $944.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-08 17:06 EDT-0400

#21 ·
Going ryzen makes alot of sense. Your gonna save some dollars that can go to a bigger ssd, GPU or w/e you want. + its not a plain old dead Intel socket. I did a build for a friend with help from ocn: https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...-upgrade-friend-mine-would-like-feedback.html

Here it is for reference:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZLN4zY

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 eSports ONE (Black/White) CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case ($86.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $805.68

It is a little banger for 1080p gaming. Great value.

#23 ·
This has all been really helpful. As I mentioned, I'm not familiar with AMD CPUs so its been nice to see recommendations on that side. I think I'll probably end up going to Micro Center (that's where my first build back in '06 was from) - I'll get the case on Amazon and depending on what monitors they have in stock I may just order that too. I like supporting a local store and their prices are pretty comparable. They have a ton of stuff on sale right now and I'm going to give them a call and see if the have any Memorial Day sales coming up at the end of the month.

I know some of you have recommended waiting til later this year, but I'm not going to do that. I'm going to push my budget up to $1500ish. That should be me some all around better stuff. Micro Center has some nice i7 and AMD/motherboard bundles I can afford if I go with the higher budget. What would be a comparable AMD to an i7 9700K? From what I've researched it seems the i7 outperforms most AMD products.

#24 ·
From what I've researched it seems the i7 outperforms most AMD products.
That might not be the case for much longer with AMD Zen 2 being shown at Computex in 3 weeks

#31 ·
Not sure if this will help the OP or not but watch this video if you have time

The 2700x is the slowest in most cases yes but its also way cheaper
If you move up to 4K the GPU and not the CPU is what matters most and all of them are very close if not neck to neck at 4K

#32 ·
Well, it has officially begun. I ordered the case and a few RGB fans. I'm still researching and re-reading everyone's comments as well as talking with a few friends who have built. It'll probably be another couple of weeks before I make a final decision.

At this point, one of the biggest struggles is finding a monitor. MC has some good options on sale but I'm going to see when I get there to buy everything else if they might give me a display model for a discount. We'll see though.
I do like this one for the price though: https://www.microcenter.com/product/604925/27UL500-W_27
Thoughts?

#33 ·
Well, it has officially begun. I ordered the case and a few RGB fans. I'm still researching and re-reading everyone's comments as well as talking with a few friends who have built. It'll probably be another couple of weeks before I make a final decision.

At this point, one of the biggest struggles is finding a monitor. MC has some good options on sale but I'm going to see when I get there to buy everything else if they might give me a display model for a discount. We'll see though.
I do like this one for the price though: https://www.microcenter.com/product/604925/27UL500-W_27
Thoughts?
4K on a 27 inch give you a PPI of 163,18 which some will say is too high and i will agree with that
Also note that 4K gaming with demanding games at max settings is near impossible even with an RTX 2080 Ti let alone something less

Also note that its a 60hz monitor and if you are looking for a gaming monitor you are better off with a high refresh rate 1440P monitor instead
Its not less demanding but its feels much more smooth and its overall just better for gaming

Linus made a video saying 4K gaming is dumb and yes i agree with that

#39 ·
If you have the room, you can get many 43" UHD TV's for that price and they work at 1080P fine or all the way up to 2160P at 60HZ More than 60Hz IMHO is a total waste unless you have health issues at lower frequencies. It also requires much more GPU and power supply for a 120Hz+ rig. Whatever cooling solution you choose, get some Kryonaut thermal paste. It will make your solution 10C cooler. I cooled my 9600K with an arctic liquid freezer 120 AIO and gamed at 35C with my CPU overclocked to 4.8GHz. 16GB of DDR4-3200 is plenty, you can always add another 16GB down the road if you have four slots.

#41 · (Edited)
Everyone keeps pushing the 2600 when the 1600 performs better in most benchmarks. Clock speed isn't the only thing to look at (P4 anyone?) Here's a list from Newegg minus a GPU and monitor

Ryzen 5 1600 6c/12t - $130 - Outperforms the 2600 for lower price
Asrock B450M Promotory $70
Corsair Value Select 16GB (4 sticks=64GB) $280 ($70 ea) Good price for Max Ram - Useful for Video/Photo Editing
WD Black 512G NVME (x4 PCIe) $180 - Not as expensive as a Samsung but good overall performance
WD Blue 2TB M2 Sata 2280 $220 - costs one Sata port (board has 4 total) but leaves you a pair for Raid with one for an Optical drive.

If you want a GPU I'd suggest a Zotac GTX 1050 Ti for $170. Yes it's not going to handle the latest games at 4k but for Graphics/Video Editing it's going to be solid even at 4k, so you then have a choice of monitors. Definately check MicroCenter (I'd love to have one nearby).

Personally I'd go with Win7 Ultimate (Digital Download) for $25 from one of the MS retailers and the only reason you'd have any problems is the same if you went Intel - USB 3 support. Turn it off in the bios during install and you have no problems. Same solution if you use an earlier version of Linux and there are many lists that tell you what MS updates to avoid to keep them from cripling the system due to Not Supporting Ryzen or Intel (Intel bought that from MS to force people to upgrade).

Total Cost so far is $1100 for a good Work Rig with some gaming support. On the monitor front, definately get an IPS display due to color accuracy - I'm partial to Dell's due to cost and performance but check them out.

Two things I forgot - Do Not Get an OEM Key as it's stuck with the System it's first Installed On. Spend a bit and buy a full Key as I did since it can be transfered to another system w/o complaint from MS.

Finally, I did not recomend a PSU since this build should run fine on a 300w PSU, meaning save the money for a better monitor and reuse the case/psu he already has.

Just finished getting mine up and running but had to go with Win10 due to absolutely no USB 2 (EHCI) support. Bloody MS pushing their weight around though Intel and AMD both like it since it means they don't need to support Win7 at all.

#42 · (Edited)
So I did a thing...

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-06 Case
Intel i7-9700K
ASUS Prime Z390-A
Sapphire RAdeo RX 580 8 GB
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200
G.Skill RIPJAWS PS850G 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold
Cooler Master MasterAir MA410P RGB CPU Cooler
LG 27UL500-W 27" 4k UHD 60hz
ASUS PCE-AC55BT Bluetooth 4.2 Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter
Corsair K55 RGB Membrane Gaming Keyboard

Definitely spent more money than I was planning... But I also picked up a few other things I hadn't planned on like the wifi card, keyboard, and Windows 10 (I had too many people advising me to avoid the cheap key websites). Total price of the build was about $1750ish

I still need to run the fan wiring differently and get a few other cables managed a little better. Everything is running very well though.
Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciated it.

Attachments

#43 ·
850 watts was way overkill wattage wise and having the GPU like that actually makes it run hotter as the fans has little to no room between the card and the glass side panel
It looks cool but its a bad gimmick unless there is really good airflow in the case and there is more room between the GPU fans and the glass side panel

I bet if you put the GPU in a PCI-E slot that you will get lower temps and less fan noise

#44 ·
The PSU is definitely overkill but they had a really good sale on it and the guy at Micro Center recommended just going with that..

I was wondering the same thing about the vertically mounted GPU. I'm going to monitor the temps under different tasks to see how it is.

#49 ·
I'm curious. What are your cpu and gpu temps with that setup? You do sacrifice some air flow with tempered glass, but in this instance it seems negligible and the case internals are showcased well. Nice setup.

#51 ·
Thanks! I haven't monitored too closely yet as I've been making some wiring changes but I'll post them soon. There is a small gap between the glass and card but not huge so it does get air but we'll see how it does.

I agree. It's a nice setup. Case is lovely.
Thanks! I love the case. $65 on amazing with $40 5 pack of Deep cool RGB fans.

#53 ·
Thats with the card up against the glass with those temps i assume

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.