Troubleshooting: Alternating 04/4F errors on Maximus X Formula w/8086k - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Troubleshooting: Alternating 04/4F errors on Maximus X Formula w/8086k

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 32)
Troubleshooting: Alternating 04/4F errors on Maximus X Formula w/8086k

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if you guys could help me:

My system has been hanging with loud buzzing noises through the speakers (no bluescreen) for a little while, and now, refuses to boot entirely. When booting, it alternates between 04 (PCH initialization before microcode loading) and 4F (DXE IPL is started) code errors. I got a 62 (installation of the PCH runtime services) error once. Google search indicates it could be a corrupt BIOS, or faulty mobo/RAM/CPU hardware - a pretty big spread of possible issues.

I have tried reseating the RAM, reseating the processor, and clearing the CMOS - each one seemed to work around the problem for one boot attempt or two, but the problem always returns.

System is as follows:
  • i7-8086k, delidded. Used to be pretty aggressively overclocked (~4.7Ghz on all cores), but currently at stock. Temps were never a problem during overclocking.
  • ASUS Maximus X Formula
  • ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti x2 in SLI
  • Samsung 980 PRO x2 in RAID 0 using an intel driver.
  • Corsair Dominator 8 GB 2666 MHz x4 - running at 2133 MHz; never bothered to enable XMP.
  • Corsair AX1600i
  • CPU, VRMs, and GPUs are in a custom EKWB loop.

I don't have a bunch of secondary parts (PSUs, DIMMs, etc...) laying around to try substituting things. I could take everything apart and try test benching it, but the system weighs about 150-200 lbs, and I want to see if anybody has any ideas which don't involve doing that.

Thanks in advance everybody.

FOLD ALL THE PROTEINS!Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunSkillet go_quote.gif

YES! I needed a power supply capable of running multiple refrigerators in SLI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 03:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 56 (Unique: 55)
Hello,

Try to flash the motherboard with USB - download the newest bios from here and rename the file M10F - stick the USB in the port labeled BIOS and hold the BIOS button on the back until it starts flashing. (PC has to be off) Wait until it stops - takes up to about 5 mins. Power it on and wait until the new bios is installed. Screen is off the whole time. - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...HelpDesk_BIOS/

And if that works, enable XMP, works alot better than auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in