My current rig:
i7 930 stock
Asus P6TD Deluxe
12 GB RAM
So, long-story-short, I've been looking at getting a new system together that enables me to do GPU rendering with Redshift and Octane in Cinema 4D. I was originally going to get a Threadripper 1950X build but am now waiting until Computex to see what's coming, prices may decrease etc...
I've been looking at my current rig and am wanting to do as best as I can bang for buck
for a worthwhile upgrade that can serve as a second system (once I get my new system) to aid in rendering.
Right now, with my GPU... I can't utilise 3D rendering at all.
Please note these systems aren't for gaming.
I found the Xeon X5675 here
at such a good price.
My plan is to also go water only for CPU (I want to water cool my new build so this is nice practice for me) and overclock to 4.5 - 5Ghz.
My current card is the ATI 5870 which needs to go as I can't even utilise GPU rendering with it.
I've been looking a lot into what GPU to get and I narrowed it down to the following:
GTX 1070 TI
Those cards at those specific links are all within the same price range and I'm finding it hard to decide on things for a few reasons:
1 - They are PCI 3.0 and my board is only 2.0 - I know that a 16x 2.0 is essentially an 8x 3.0? How much performance loss will there be?
2 - Are they even going to be compatible with my Asus P6TD Deluxe? I've looked around... lots of users having issues and lots of users having success on their X58 boards so I'm sceptical.
3 - The RTX 2060 looks great for a one GPU setup and utilises new tech, has faster memory and actually performs well in Redshift benchmarks as seen here
... I guess the 1070 TI would be my ideal choice performance wise but the second-hand thing bothers me. That eBay listing says it's only 6 months old and there's a 6 month seller warranty (not sure what that actually means). It is also cheaper than both the new 2060 and 1070.
4 - In GPU rendering, it's recommended that you have double the amount of RAM to VRAM. I have 12GB and have looked into getting more RAM but I don't think the price warrants it for this rig.
5 - Is it even worth considering a modern card like one of these with the Xeon X5675 and my mobo?
I want to make sure I get the best bang for buck performance upgrade with this rig as I will be getting a brand new latest spec system later also.
I've considered going with a newer mobo with PCI 3.0 etc... but I just don't see it being worth it at the price it would cost compared to what I'm considering with the Xeon.
Any help/advise would be great right now - I've done so much reading and looking around trying to decide and it's time to make a decision. I can't currently utilise my machine for what I want to do so it's holding me back purely because of the GPU ... so the GPU is my main blocker.