Work Build Assistance - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Work Build Assistance

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
EhmayWuntee

Rep: 54 (Unique: 44)
Work Build Assistance

I am surprised we don't have a general PC build help forum section, I guess this is the next best spot since i THINK i want to go intel, but i am not necessarily 100% set on it since its been awhile since I've done a build. I will start here and post in multiple forums if needed to reach other audiences since we don't have a build help section.

I am going to help out my work and build them a new desktop for a sanitary sewer CCTV camera system. It will be inside an enclosed trailer that has AC, basically a small mobile office. The software is called WinCan VX and after looking through their recommended specs I have some questions for help with a build.

1. They claim to need an ATX form factor with 400W power supply. I think mATX would still be fine, they just wanted to be sure there are enough PCI and/or PCIe slots. ITX may be pushing it, but we shall see.
2. 8 GB ram or more, is 16GB more of the safe standard these days or is 8GB really sufficient?
3. GPU = GeForce 9 or higher, I am a fan of NVidia and would think now-a-days i'd be looking at a 10 series or 20 series. More on this in a moment.
4. RS232 Port, this is a serial data port correct? Worst case it even says a USB-Serial Converter can be used.
5. HD, they suggest 500 GB and for some reason are specifying it be partitioned to 200 and 300 GB. I am not sure why they wouldn't just let you utilize a full drive and might just ignore that suggestions, but worst case I would consider a smaller SSD and a larger HDD instead of a large 500 GB+ SSD.
6. CPU - intel core i5 or higher. I have been a fan of intel for the sense that their CPUs seem to stay current and last a very long time without need to upgrade. AMD seemed to only get a few years and then regret the purchase. Have things changed greatly with Ryzen and now AMD is a competitor again? I'd think this build could last 6-10 years as long as the software isn't changing or has minor updates. It's not like a gaming PC where every year they continue to push the mark. (My i7 3770K is still treating me fine and well for my personal gaming PC)
7. Video encoding card - These I know nothing about and to be honest am a bit confused because I figured modern day higher end GPUs would be able to do this already. Is this a justifiable expense to have a dedicated encoding card vs a nicer GPU or CPU? Here is a bit more of the language they included: "Recording video clips in the formats of MPEG1, MPEG2, and MPEG 4 usually requires the use of specific hardware encoding devices. CDLab provides and entirely supports the following products directly: VITEC Board (VM4-2-C7 or VM4-2-C8)."

I am not trying to reinvent their recommendations and work around it, just justify it better, understand it better, and make sure we are spending our money wisely.

I will plan on using Windows 10 Pro for the OS.

My questions other than maybe some comments for the above are what would be your recommendation for a CPU, GPU, necessity of the encoding card, and anything that might be new to market or changed greatly in the past 4 years or so that I may have missed.

If you have questions, please ask, otherwise I appreciate your insight and opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in