Overclock.net banner

Dual Socket Xeon board

955 views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  ACleverName 
#1 ·
Hello,

Looking for some help with people more familiar with the server side of hardware. Trying to find just a simple mother board for 2 Xeons (cant recall which model they were 10 core 20 thread each with avx2) They are socket 2011 v3 i believe. Does anyone know of a motherboard that has these sockets? The chips are not ES.

#2 ·
LMGTFY

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007629 600553802&isnodeid=1

These aren't cheap....
Maybe you can get a HP Z840 / DL360/DL380/ML350 G9 at a reasonable price locally

If possible, I recommend selling the cpus and picking up some E5 V1 or E5 V2 cpus, cheaper boards and compatible with cheap DDR3 REG

#5 ·
LMGTFY

If possible, I recommend selling the cpus and picking up some E5 V1 or E5 V2 cpus, cheaper boards and compatible with cheap DDR3 REG
Not sure what E5 V1's are, still learning the server end stuff, i've got alot to learn!

Also thanks for the board links, may be able to find something used off that list for a bit cheaper!

#3 ·
100% depends on what you plan on doing with it....

Do you need a bunch of PCIe slots? Do you need a bunch of memories slots? Do you need IPMI? Do You need narrow socket? Do you need a certain form factor?

Simple board and 2 xeons isn't much to go off of

#4 · (Edited)
Not really after PCI-e for this build, just some encoding on the box. Literally only that where it can also heat dump in a different room. I should mention form factor does matter much but if it i can fit it into a normal run of hte mill desktop case that would be nice, but its not a deal breaker.

Edit: at most just 32 gigs ram. Does not even have to be ECC. Not sure what IPMI is or narrow factor :(

#6 ·
#8 ·
At what bitrate?

What software are you running?

#10 ·
Then you'd be better off with different software, if you note that software until the latest release had issues with 32 logical cores (the system you're trying to build has 40)

Have you tried handbrake? With GPU support you're likely to get significantly faster encodes

#12 ·
For dual CPU you'll have to run ECC sticks. Either the Asus or Supermicro boards are all good. I like asrock desktop but never used their workstation boards.

If you don't need anything fancy that supermicro ATX board for 300 is a good one. 16 and 32 gig sticks are cheap as dirt so you don't need many slots these days.

#14 ·
Standard quality powersupply, all the connections are the same

#16 ·
You can run one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.