Assistance w/ build Strategies (Parsec / Main Desktop) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Assistance w/ build Strategies (Parsec / Main Desktop)

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
:]

Rep: 0
Assistance w/ build Strategies (Parsec / Main Desktop)

I want to build a SMF unit to run parsec. My current main desktop build is:

ASRock Z270 Killer SLI/ac
Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.80GHz (@ 5.0GHz delid/relid LM - although recent clocking errors. May need to re-LM or downclock a bit) Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
32.0GB Dual-Channel G.SKILL Trident @ 1600MHz (16-18-18-38)
XB271HU ([email protected]) 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (EVGA)

The idea was I was going to put an i7 in my desktop and recycle the i5 for the parsec build but... I'm not sure that is the most efficient route at this time. My desktop build does what I need it to, although the upgrade would be nice.. I'm a bit hesitant just due to the pricing / performance difference between the i5 and i7... especially with the recent AMD releases - was just curious of anyone/everyone's thoughts?

Thanks!

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
:]

Rep: 0
BASICALLY what I was trying to determine at the time was... did it make sense to upgrade to a newer i7 on my current board and recycle the i5 in a build that calls for a proc of core i5 or better. OR (and it may be blasphemous to mention AMD in the Intel side) but if I'm looking at i5 performance or better... would there be any advantages to making a Ryzen build and skipping the i7 purchase... I thought going Ryzen/AM4 was going to end up being a little more affordable and honestly I was kind of getting excited about the idea just to try something new but...

As I started looking into the performance and price - I'm kind of getting the feeling that perhaps AMD's procs etc were good but... maybe not what they were being hyped to be possibly? Plus I don't own any legacy AMD procs so upgrading the bios on any board that doesn't appear to be at least a X570 seems like it could be problematic for me in the long run... but - a lot of this is dated documentation as far as comparing price, performance etc... so just curious on anyone's real world up to date input

Thanks!

Who put the fun in Dysfunctional?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in