Xeon W3690 on GA-EX58-UD3R 1.0 (bios F11) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Xeon W3690 on GA-EX58-UD3R 1.0 (bios F11)

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Xeon W3690 on GA-EX58-UD3R 1.0 (bios F11)

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some insight into possible reasons why installing this Xeon into my 11 year old (and very reliable normally) UD3R X58 Mobo, seemed to go terribly wrong?

All i did was update my boards BIOS to F11, as this is listed as the minimum bios version that will run the W3690, and installed the CPU.

After playing with some BIOS settings (i'm not great with bios setting it has to be said) i got up and running, with the Xeon at stock speeds (3.47Ghz) with all seemingly being well.

Temps were fine in the 50's, and my old system was blazing through the windows (10) and games i threw at it...i was pleasantly surprised it worked so well for me...then i started to get strange crashes, and random restarts...before long, the system was so unstable, i was booting into windows 10, only to suffer the random restart after a few minutes.

Pretty soon, i was getting restarted while looking at my BIOS settings!

Accompanying these baffling restarts, i noticed a fairly loud and disturbing clicking / ticking sound just before the the restart happened.

I assumed this was one of my HDDs, and unplugged all of them , including the DVD drive, except for my boot drive (obviously)...the clicking continued, and didn't seem to be coming from my boot drive (SSD)...but rather my GPU card (750Ti OC)...even more alarming, i could smell a metallic / plastic burning aroma filling the room!

This was last night. Naturally, i turned off all power to the system, and left it alone until this morning.

I took out all components and inspected everything for signs of damage / burning. Cleaned out my PSU (bit dusty, but no burnt areas or smell of burning) and inspected the motherboard and all over HDDs and my graphics card...nothing was burnt.

I took out the Xeon W3690, and reinstalled my old faithful first gen i7 920, which is running fine now as i type...no burning smell, no weird clicking or ticking coming from my graphics card and all seems as it was.

Anyone know what i could have done wrong, assuming the Xeon W3690 isn't faulty (bought on eBay a couple of days ago)?

Was i supposed to update my X58 chipset drivers?
Special settings in BIOS (or BIOS version perhaps..) that i may have missed?

I'm running 12G of G. Skill Ripjaw memory? which defaulted to it's 1333 Mhz, @ 9,9,9 24 with the W3690, but runs at 1066Mhz, @7,7,7, 18 with the i7 920.

I'm thinking my X58 and other components had a lucky escape, or maybe it was just something obvious i missed in settings?

Edit to Add: Ignore the burning smell part of this post...it was my phone charger, not the computer!

I'd be grateful for any advise or help on this problem of the Xeon causing restarts and clicking noises though, or advice on which settings / drivers or whatever i should use to get my Xeon working, before i return the Xeon to the seller on eBay.

Thanks.

Last edited by Andrew3210; 10-15-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 101)
Earlier this year, I got a W3690 and put it into my old X58a-UD7 and was running F8 bios and then went to latest version afterwards and had no issues. Only time I had a burning smell, was from attaching EK blocks and the screws didn't have washers and it shorted the back of the PCB. That's about the only thing I can think of that would have a burning smell, shorted traces.

CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
GPU
EVGA RTX2080 Gaming XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill Trident 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 950
Power Supply
Corsair AX-1200
Case
CaseLabs M8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i7 9700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPU
Nvidia GTX1080Ti
RAM
G.Skill SNIPER 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
RAM
G.Skill RGB DDR4-3200
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX SSD
Optical Drive
LG WH10LS30 BD burner
Optical Drive
TSH663B DVD burner
Power Supply
Seasonic SSR-750PD Flagship Prime Series 750W Platinum
Cooling
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
Cooling
XSPC RX360 radiator
Cooling
EK WB D-BAYD5 PWM reservoir
Case
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Acer GD235HZbid
Keyboard
Ducky Mechanical
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070 FE
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series PC4 24000
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Rosewill Quark Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply with LED Indicator
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z270/Z370 GAMING Monoblock - Nickel
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Earlier this year, I got a W3690 and put it into my old X58a-UD7 and was running F8 bios and then went to latest version afterwards and had no issues. Only time I had a burning smell, was from attaching EK blocks and the screws didn't have washers and it shorted the back of the PCB. That's about the only thing I can think of that would have a burning smell, shorted traces.

Hi mate, after posting my thread, i made a bizarre discovery about the 'burning smell'...it wasn't my PC or anything to do with the W3690 CPU...it was my phone charging cable had melted!

It wasn't even connected to the PC, but was just a really weird coincidence it had failed and the end connector had melted, at exactly the same time i installed the W3690 chip!

Talk about bad timing eh?

Still, i'm relieved it wasn't my PC melting!

Any ideas about the strange ticking or clicking sound and the constant restarts when i have the W3690 installed?

I'm thinking settings i should have done, probably obvious to many on this board what those should be, but i don't usually dabble with BIOS settings and the like, so i wouldn't know.

Cheers for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:36 AM
FOCAL ARIA FTW

Rep: 357 (Unique: 277)
I originally had the UD3R for my 920.
Worst motherboard ever.
Constant reboots, failed overclocks.
It had a weird personality.
Then to make things better, my RAM slots died.
Had to RMA twice.

AUDIO: DENON D-2000 -MARK LAWTON & FOCAL ARIA 948 WITH NAD C388 & NAD C568& REGA PLANAR 3 / FOCAL UTOPIA HEADPHONES NEXT / HOME CINEMA : YAMAHA AVENTAGE RX-A860
CARS : BMW M3 CSL E46 / AUDI A4 2018 3.0 TDI MTM tuned (340 HP) / Focus RS MK3 2017 NB - full option (400 HP) / Ford Fiesta Cherry Red - 1.0 Ecoboost @145 HP / Audi Q3 2018 - 1.4 TFSI @ 150 HP

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Sounds like you might have had a dodgy one wishmaker...i've had this board from new (2008 - present) and never had any problems like you were having.

Saying that, i've never overclocked anything before, mainly out of fear of damaging parts i couldn't afford to replace more than anything else.

I think i'll update to the latest non-beta bios for this board, and try the Xeon W3690 again..maybe a later BIOS would be better tailored for the Xeon?

Cheers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 101)
Quote: Originally Posted by Andrew3210 View Post
Sounds like you might have had a dodgy one wishmaker...i've had this board from new (2008 - present) and never had any problems like you were having.

Saying that, i've never overclocked anything before, mainly out of fear of damaging parts i couldn't afford to replace more than anything else.

I think i'll update to the latest non-beta bios for this board, and try the Xeon W3690 again..maybe a later BIOS would be better tailored for the Xeon?

Cheers.

On my UD7, I was running F8 bios which the last one from Gigabyte, which most said sucked. I downloaded later bios from Win-Raid and TweakTown forums since that found one that worked fine. But I never had any reboot issues to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390
GPU
EVGA RTX2080 Gaming XC Ultra
RAM
G.Skill Trident 3200
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 960
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 950
Power Supply
Corsair AX-1200
Case
CaseLabs M8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
i7 9700k
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
GPU
Nvidia GTX1080Ti
RAM
G.Skill SNIPER 12GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
RAM
G.Skill RGB DDR4-3200
Hard Drive
Kingston HyperX SSD
Optical Drive
LG WH10LS30 BD burner
Optical Drive
TSH663B DVD burner
Power Supply
Seasonic SSR-750PD Flagship Prime Series 750W Platinum
Cooling
EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel
Cooling
XSPC RX360 radiator
Cooling
EK WB D-BAYD5 PWM reservoir
Case
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Acer GD235HZbid
Keyboard
Ducky Mechanical
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
GPU
Nvidia GTX 1070 FE
RAM
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series PC4 24000
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850
Power Supply
Rosewill Quark Series 750W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply with LED Indicator
Cooling
EK-FB GA Z270/Z370 GAMING Monoblock - Nickel
Case
Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Operating System
Windows 10
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi mate,

I'm using a 'Beta Bios' at the moment, having changed from F11 (with the restart issues)..it's version F12i...it's stable and seems to work alright with my i7 920, so i'll have another go at trying the W3690 using this bios.

Didn't know about those bios sites you mentioned...if this doesn't work i'll have a look on those sites to see if one of their customised versions will work, thanks for that.

Cheers.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well, the Xeon W3690 is back in, and seems to be running as it should. No restarts or mad clicking or ticking noises coming from my GPU either, so far so good.

For others that might be having similar issues to those i was having, this might help;

I am using a customized BIOS downloaded from 'tweaktown' website (thanks for the tip ezveedub), for my specific motherboard and version (GA-EX58-UD3R R.1.0)...the BIOS i'm using is 'F2q'.

Works a treat.

Another thing i noticed, is when i enter BIOS settings, previously i used 'auto' settings on all voltages, especially ram.

This, i think might have been the root of my problems i was having. When i used CPU-Z to look at the W3690 before, the speed was constantly switching between around 1.8Ghz - 3.6Ghz...like a couple of seconds on one, then a couple of seconds on the other, with the multiplier changing to match, just flicking back and forth between the two.

I assumed this was something to do with Intel Boost, or similar speeding up and slowing down of the CPU as needed, but it seems not, as the readings are now rock solid stable and no switching speeds are showing.

I turned off the 'AUTO' setting for ram voltage, and manually set it to 1.5V (rated voltage)..this will prevent the BIOS from making micro adjustments to ram voltage and keep it where i set it, possibly eliminating the throwing of other settings out of whack.

Another thing i did differently, was to make sure my 'UNCORE' frequency was taken off the AUTO setting too, and set manually to exactly 1.5 times the frequency of my ram and no higher (ram is at 1333Mhz), the uncore is manually set at 2000, which is 1.5 times my ram's 1333Mhz. Apparently, if uncore is set any higher than 1.8 times ram frequency, the system can become unstable.

This has worked for me so far, i'm happy all is working at stock speeds but once this has bedded in for a few days or so, i may try pushing settings up a bit to OC this setup little by little to see what i can get out of it.

Plenty more custom BIOS's at Tweaktown for all manner and makes of motherboards if you're having problems with the original versions from your Mobo makers.

Hope this helps.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quick update;

System was still a little unstable, had a couple of random restarts so i turned off Intel boost and haven't had a restart since.

Also changed my CMOS battery for a fresh one, as the other had packed up (it did well lasting for around 11 years!)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Got same board and Rev as you , only thing different is i'm using a W3680 instead of a W3690

Been running it at 4.4 flawlessy for a while now ! Coming from a i7 920 too...

I could give you a tip or 2 about bios settings ! just msg me

And what about that F2Q bios mod from tweaktown ? i couldn't find it...

Tags
burning , crashes , i7 920 , w3690 , x58

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in