ram problem - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ram problem

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
ram problem

Hi,

Win 10 Pro 64 build 18,362.xxx - Only half the RAM is showing 64 GB installed - BIOS shows all dims populated but reports only 32 GB - AIDA 64 Engineer CPU ID only shows 32 GB - CPU-Z CPU-ID shows 65,xxx MB which shows the RAM is there.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition - I have been swapping CPU's out - Xeon V2's

Are there any known problems? - Any solutions? - It could be a DIMM issue in the board but I doubt it - Solutions? - Or I'll try a re-install - Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

What ram are you using ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 48 (Unique: 47)
A) which ram is it
B) have you tried running through each stick at a time in each slot at a time to see if it is a bad stick(or 2) or if you just have a bad slot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi this is a little weird / odd.

The initial post 32 GB (installed 64 GB)_was E5 1680 V2 __Now I swapped out CPU to look at socket __then inserted an E5 2687_0 (Sandy)_now showing 48 GB__so really weird - any brain waves please share them - Thanks (brain waves are just clever ideas that solve the problem)_like a super-update solve all problems
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by twisted5446 View Post
A) which ram is it
B) have you tried running through each stick at a time in each slot at a time to see if it is a bad stick(or 2) or if you just have a bad slot
two different makes were used - Crucial Ballistix DDR3 and Kingston Hyper X Savage - but is mainstream RAM
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by twisted5446 View Post
A) which ram is it
It did occur to me that there could be some faulty parts - but when E5 2687 W_0 was installed (instead of E5 1680 V2) 48 GB RAM was showing in the OS.

There is zero damage in the socket and it looks perfect still (unlike some boards)_so I think everything is OK.

I'm trying a re-install - The concern is that the CPU used to install may be a-ok but when another CPU is used later on it may cause a problem.

There was some concern over the IMC on the 1680 V2 but I'm hoping its a Microsoft problem - I'll post more later, some here must have some good info on this - Please !
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Hi,

Just tried an E5 2667 V2 - shows 64 GB RAM as it should - the other two - e5 2687 w_0__showed 48 GB whilst the e5 1680 v2 showed 32 gb - I'm thinking it may have something to do with the cpu used to install that may have got all the registers for Xeon CPU's that show in device manager (but I'm speculating)__are there any fixes for this?

I'm really trying to get stable systems where any cpu could be used but if there are RAM problems it will make it difficult - Thanks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

hello,

i think the problem may be solved - i come here to have a discussion about things but also when i'm really stuck !!! which i was.

The Asus R IV E B simply has to use XMP mode all the way - i sort of forgot this - any other tips welcome - thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by fra z View Post
hello,

i think the problem may be solved - i come here to have a discussion about things but also when i'm really stuck !!! which i was.

The Asus R IV E B simply has to use XMP mode all the way - i sort of forgot this - any other tips welcome - thanks
I sort of vaguely recall those MBs when first released would only take 8GB dimms not 16GB or higher but that may well have been fixed with a bios update.

Other than that not much to suggest.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by clannagh View Post
I sort of vaguely recall those MBs when first released would only take 8GB dimms not 16GB or higher but that may well have been fixed with a bios update.

Other than that not much to suggest.
I think some 16 GB sticks work with the Asus X79 boards such as IM (Intelligent Memory)_maybe others I'm not sure but I'll try some RDIMMS later.

IM RAM does work on the MSI X79 GD45 but again I'm not sure about other brands.

Another part I couldn't get right to begin with was the C-states - Asus has the C6 & C7 states and low scores in Passmark multi-threaded were being returned which is because the "package limit" needed to be set to C7.

So good news on the whole with E5 1680 V2 @ 4.6 Ghz which is a little higher than what I would usually do but I did need to see how high the single threaded performance would go and is scored around 2550 which is pretty good really considering the 9900 K scores just under 3000 points.

It's hard to believe just how much higher the v_core needs to be to sustain the 4.6 Ghz !

@ 4.2 Ghz - 1.110_v is good enough (give or take)
@ 4.3 Ghz - 1.130_v
@ 4.6 Ghz - 1.340_v

v_rise kicks in @ 4.6 Ghz and fluctuates between 1.360_v and 1.376_v on the Asus board with just enough comfort under 80 C under P95 - So the H150i is at its limit at this clock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in