E2180 Overclocking Help - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

E2180 Overclocking Help

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 417 (Unique: 332)
I just threw together my sig rig and I'm starting to get things fired up. I started off with my memory and Memtested it all night at DDR2-1000 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1V and it was just fine. Now I'm moving on to FSB/processor.

I know there's a host of people on the internet that are running my mobo at 400+ FSB, but I can't even post at 360. This leads me to believe that either the E2180 can't run at 400FSB even with a 6x multiplier, or that I have to start playing around with NB and FSB termination voltages. My current configuration is:

Ratio CMOS Setting: 10
FSB Strap to North Bridge: Auto
FSB Freq: 333
PCI-E Freq: 100
DRAM Freq: DDR2-1000
DRAM Command Rate: 2T
CAS: 5
RAS-CAS: 5
RAS pre: 5

Transaction Booster: Disabled
Relax Level: 3
Clock Over-Charging Mode: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.500V
CPU Voltage Reference: Auto
CPU Voltage Damper: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
DRAM Voltage 2.10V
FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
North Bridge Voltage: Auto
North Bridge Voltage Reference: Auto
South Bridge Voltage: Auto

I haven't run into any issues so far, and Prime95 is chugging along with "In-place Large FFTs" for maximum heat at 48°C (Core Temp 0.95).

Possible Issues:
  • E2180 unable to run with 400 FSB
  • NB and FSB voltages have to be increased rather than "Auto"
  • EPS12V and 24-pin connectors are both via adapters, not "true" 8 and 24 pin connections
If someone could confirm or deny those issue, and provide some insight towards a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3468 (Unique: 1499)
With stock you can stable at 3.3G. I think it is pretty good. Just cpu voltage is high a bit. You should be able to run 3.3G around 1.37-1.42.

Quote:
Possible Issues:
E2180 unable to run with 400 FSB
NB and FSB voltages have to be increased rather than "Auto"
EPS12V and 24-pin connectors are both via adapters, not "true" 8 and 24 pin connections
1. I can run mine at 380 24/7 but not the 400 fsb because the temp and I haven't adjusted the ram timing yet. My max fsb is 408 so far.
2. Yes. You need to increase valotage on NB and FSB voltage.
3. I may be wrong on this. Most of new PSU use EPS21V. I think they are "true" 8 and 24 pin connections.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 151 (Unique: 127)
try using TAT for temps, load both cores with that and see your results.

What thermal paste are you using on that ac freezer and what are your ambients?

Thanks for the idea btw, Im going to try my ram at 900 (300x3) tonight and run memtest Im only running mine at 3.0ghz, so 3.3ghz is better than me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
With stock you can stable at 3.3G. I think it is pretty good. Just cpu voltage is high a bit. You should be able to run 3.3G around 1.37-1.42.

1. I can run mine at 380 24/7 but not the 400 fsb because the temp and I haven't adjusted the ram timing yet. My max fsb is 408 so far.
2. Yes. You need to increase valotage on NB and FSB voltage.
3. I may be wrong on this. Most of new PSU use EPS21V. I think they are "true" 8 and 24 pin connections.
I'm on AC7 Pro so I don't see the temps being too much of an issue. 1.5V is the max I plan on going, and even that was just to sort of diagnose whether it was CPU or mobo. As far as voltages on NB and FSB should I just start and the bottom and increase until I get it to post? Also, should I increase them both at the same time, separately, or is there a specification somewhere (I couldn't find one in the manual).

Finally, I've had my eye on the Corsair VX550 to replace my current PSU. I only started using mine because I got a little anxious and wanted to start playing . I'm going to try adjusting voltages but the 12V rail is only 11.19 in Everest and Speedfan, so I'm hoping to replace it as soon as possible.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepheroth003 View Post
try using TAT for temps, load both cores with that and see your results.

What thermal paste are you using on that ac freezer and what are your ambients?

Thanks for the idea btw, Im going to try my ram at 900 (300x3) tonight and run memtest Im only running mine at 3.0ghz, so 3.3ghz is better than me.
I'll give TAT a try.

As far as thermal paste and ambients, I'm using OCZ Ultra 5+ silver which "claims" the exact specs that AS5 does. I tend to believe it as well, because I used it on my previous build, and even with a stock HSF temps dropped 3°C. Ambients at the moment are 26°C.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
New to Overclock.net

C-bro, increase/adjust NB or FSB voltage one at a time. It is just my habit. so that you know what's wrong and easy to get back.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

This really isn't going well at all. I am absolutely baffled. Things run fine seemingly fine at 333FSB - DDR2-1000 - 9x multi. However, if I move up to 340 or 360 and lower my multi, I can't post. That leads me to think the mobo is the culprit. So I go back to 333FSB - DDR2-1000 - 10x multi, and THAT fails. Is it possible that I just got crappy versions of my CPU and my mobo? So far the only thing I've been really impressed with is my RAM.

I'm getting pretty frustrated because I see numerous reviews and user logs on the web that easily run my board at 400 FSB, with some getting as high as 516. Then I see others running the E2180 at 3.6 GHz and higher. Is there some setting I'm missing or something? Voltage settings for FSB termination and NB have no effect on ability to post. It's not even to the point where I'm at stability testing because I can only get the stupid thing to post in a few different configurations that either don't maximize my RAM, or don't reach the E2180 potential that others exhibit.

I can almost guarantee that it isn't a power issue, since I just threw in the Corsair 550VX. Perhaps I'm getting greedy, but I see so many people with the exact same things I have and they're getting great results. If only I had a bit more coin, I could buy another mobo to test and compare and try and elminate the problem components.

Edit: I should also mention that although post fails at 340 and 360 with a lowered multi, 380 works just fine. I mean honestly, what's going on?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

C-bro. Can you try 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v with 340 X10?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by linskingdom View Post
C-bro. Can you try 4-4-4-12 at 2.1v with 340 X10?
I've actually been using 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1, but I gave it a try with those settings @ 1.472 Vcore and I get Orthos failing after 2 seconds. I'm not sure if it's the program or not, but my core0 is ALWAYS the one to fail. Perhaps one of them didn't fab as well as the other. It seems anything above 3GHz causes instability, anything above 3.4 results in no post. And the FSB values are totally random in whether they post or not.

I also tried going back to 333x10 and running DDR2-800, and that lasted a whopping 45 seconds. I would even be happy just knowing the the chip was bad, because I plan on going to 45nm in the spring. I just got this one because it was cheap and got such rave reviews. However, without knowing which component is lacking, I don't want to hold onto my stuff and lose the option of RMAing.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 62)
it is the proc that is holding you back....as i have stated in many posts the E2180 scales the same as the E2160..both have the possibility of having low fsb walls..im sure your mobo will do 500+, but with the e2180 it won't..it's the same reason i can max out at 10x370 or 9x412 but it will not go any higher then 3.7 with any multi...

on a side note..people need to stop thinking these are miracle proc's, there just like any other you have, some overclock good and then others not so good....it's all luck of the draw..personally i think they are a fine proc if your on a budget or if you just want something to tinker around with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in