Smoke coming out! Help! - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Smoke coming out! Help!

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 912 (Unique: 541)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJoe View Post
Whoops, sorry about that, my mind is in a bit of panic state I meant, maybe when I put the thermal paste on the processor, some leaked out onto the mobo and caused a short. I've heard that can happen, anyway.

Yeah... Is there any way to check? I could see myself spending weeks RMA'ing things and putting new things and just ending up with a sack of useless parts in the end because maybe everything is fried...

Thanks for all the help and reassurance everyone... I'd be fleeing the country right now if it weren't for you guys
Thermal paste causing a short is VERY rare, but it can happen.. but very unlikely. You could remove the heatsink and see if theres paste on the motherboard but you would of had to put ALOT of paste for it to reach the motherboard.

The only way to check would be to try a different PSU, and if that doesn't work try a different video card as well (if smoke came from the video card it is probably fried, or faulty)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 705)
I wired of one of them slot fans wrong one time gave it +12 instead of +5 and i had smoke shooting out my psu it still works im using it right now. So possable you didnt kill stuff. If you think its dead try to rma it should be easy just take some time.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 232)
Why are you building gaming rigs for work? Why do you need an 8800GTS, and a sound card? RAID 10?

Dunno what you do for work, but if I was your boss I'd fire you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
It's a video game company

Well one more piece of information- the insulation on one of the wires on the PCI-express connector that was plugged into the 8800gts is all messed up, looks like there was some melting action.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 705)
So good chance it was the psu rma it and the video card.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 103)
Quote:

Well one more piece of information- the insulation on one of the wires on the PCI-express connector that was plugged into the 8800gts is all messed up, looks like there was some melting action.
you should just go w/ the obvious answer that everyone, including myself has said. RMA both of them ~(8(|)

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Alright, thanks a lot for all the help... I don't think my boss will be cool with having 1-2+ weeks of downtime so I guess now I just have to figure out the logistics, maybe order a Dell in the mean time.

I could try plugging in the video card / PSU from one of the other computers, but it would be terrible if I fried those too so not going to risk that lol.

Thanks
-EJ

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 327 (Unique: 232)
Quote:
LOL! I eat my words. haha. Still don't quite understand why you want RAID 10 on a workstation, but hey whatever your boss likes.

Quote:
Ouch... not good. Try using a different PCI-E connector? Or buy a new power supply and return it, or RMA that one and then keep it as a spare...
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Bacon & Eggs

Rep: 342 (Unique: 241)
make sure you test that 8800 in another motherboard to see if it still works

On your mark!
Get set!
Terrible...

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 170 (Unique: 130)
simple electric knowlege. teh smoke is how it conducts electricity. if you let the smoke out the part is done for and will not work. and sorry not you can't just put the smoke back in. I've tried it doesnt' work.

I would search for burn marks to verifiy if it was the gpu or not. if so replace with cheapy video card and replace psu and test again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in