Smoke coming out! Help! - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Smoke coming out! Help!

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 AM
woot

Rep: 256 (Unique: 211)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 View Post
There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

lol...sigged

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif

There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hmmm, a bit scared to put that 8800gts in another mobo because if that messes up some computer then I'll REALLY be in trouble. I guess maybe the safest thing to do is go ahead and RMA those parts for a refund and buy a Dell instead of trying to build anything more and screwing up.

I think I might continue building my own PCs for my personal use, but don't think i'll do it for work again since it's a big deal if a machine is down for 2 weeks.

Thx again for all the help!

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Phew, Ok so I told my boss about the problem and he calmly takes a look at it and suggests we unplug the video card and the sound card and try to isolate the problem. We did that, and the fans started spinning and power LEDs were lighting up, so something worked. Then we put the parts back in, and as he goes to reconnect the PCI-express power connector, he points out that there are 6 pins on the card, but 8 pins on the cable... Whoops! Looks like I plugged in the wrong power cable.

So everything is working fine now... Man I'm embarrassed!

Thanks again for the replies
-EJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
this happen to me once but not the video card it was ram i did not push the ram in far enough and i strated up the comp and it smeelllllllledd soo BADDD so i hurried and turn the comp off and open the crappy case and the ram so was freakin HOT it brun my finger kinda but it still worked after i push it in more

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJoe View Post
Phew, Ok so I told my boss about the problem and he calmly takes a look at it and suggests we unplug the video card and the sound card and try to isolate the problem. We did that, and the fans started spinning and power LEDs were lighting up, so something worked. Then we put the parts back in, and as he goes to reconnect the PCI-express power connector, he points out that there are 6 pins on the card, but 8 pins on the cable... Whoops! Looks like I plugged in the wrong power cable.

So everything is working fine now... Man I'm embarrassed!

Thanks again for the replies
-EJ

glad u got it fixed MAN

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:09 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 75)
Did you take pictures? Thermal paste isnt going to short out the mobo unless you were extremely careless with how you applied it.

From some other site in reference to OCing from CMH

Quote:
"...Or you can just sit back and be sure that even if its not any faster, it definitely isn't any slower."
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
These new chips require smoke to run. Downside is once the smoke leaks out, it's impossible to put back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] go_quote.gif
Wicked! Omega hit it on the money. This is not console. Honestly there is no need to worry. C2 will have amazing gfx on the PC. If I am wrong I promise OCN that I will film myself eating my shoe and upload it to youtube.
I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now still use Linux! rolleyes.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in