Smoke coming out! Help! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Smoke coming out! Help!

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi,

I made 3 rigs before for my work and my boss liked those so we have a new guy coming in to the office and he asked me to build another...

So I'm here in the office, I finish connecting everything up, and I turn the power supply on- now there is a green light on the motherboard so that's good. Then I hit the power button on the case- at this point, the computer should boot up, but nothing happened. No fans started spinning, nothing. The only thing that appeared was the red hard drive activity indicator (not sure why though since the hard drives weren't actually spinning).

So I turned the machine off real quick, tightened some connections, then turned it back on. I left it going for a few seconds when suddenly I saw SMOKE coming out of it. I think it was from the video card (8800GTS) since that's where the smoke seemed to be rising from, and also when I touched the card afterward, it was hot.

This is really freaking me out- if this were a computer I was tinkering with at home then it'd be okay if I fried it but my boss is gonna be pissed.

I don't suppose it's possible for smoke to come out of a part, and that part still be useable? Maybe if it was for just a few seconds then it's okay.

Does anyone know what would be a good way to proceed and what kind of thing might cause this problem?

EDIT: Btw, here are the specs of the machine that I'm trying to build. (different from the one in my sig):
CPU: Q6600
Hard drives: 4x Seagate 7200.10 250GB, planning to put in raid 10
CPU cooler: Tuniq tower 120
Mobo: ASUS P5B-Plus
Sound card: Audigy
Memory: 2GB (1x2) Crucial ballistix ddr2 800
PSU: Corsair HX620
Graphics card: geforce 8800 gts 640mb
case: nzxt zero

Thanks!
-EJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Bacon & Eggs

Rep: 342 (Unique: 241)
There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.

What is the whole setup of the system you are building, and, why not return the card via RMA since it is bad on initial install.

On your mark!
Get set!
Terrible...

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 911 (Unique: 540)
I'm thinking your PSU is faulty and fried your video card (i hope thats all it fried)

Try a different PSU and see if the system boots up.. if it still doesn't try a different psu AND video card.

If the PSU is infact faulty and you throw another video card in there your risk losing that as well, its possible that its overvolting the 12v rail.

This probably wasnt caused by you and if they are new parts you really have nothing to worry about since they are under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rats... How does that RMA work- do I have to prove somehow that the PSU and/or video card was faulty or can I just claim that it was a bad component and get the refund?

I mean, for all I know maybe I did a bad job of putting on the thermal paste on the mobo which caused a short or some stupid thing like that.

Edit: I put the build in the original post now... basically a lot like the rig in my sig, except with 8800gts, quad core instead of dual core, and better powersupply. (in theory )

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 124 (Unique: 103)
RMA your PSU and your video card, shouldn't have any hassles. depending on where you bought it from, it may just be better to RMA it directly to the manufacturer.

that way it cures problems, you're only down for a week or two, and your boss won't be pissed because he doesn't have to fork over any more monies highfive

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 911 (Unique: 540)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJoe View Post
Rats... How does that RMA work- do I have to prove somehow that the PSU and/or video card was faulty or can I just claim that it was a bad component and get the refund?

I mean, for all I know maybe I did a bad job of putting on the thermal paste on the mobo which caused a short or some stupid thing like that.

Edit: I put the build in the original post now... basically a lot like the rig in my sig, except with 8800gts, quad core instead of dual core, and better powersupply. (in theory )
Since when do you put thermal paste on the motherboard? Do you mean processor? Even with no thermal paste it shouldn't fry instantly.. it'd just run hot.

RMA is not a refund (usually), they are just gonna replace it with a new part.. and no you don't really need to prove anything at all. I've RMAed parts that were working fine and still got a replacement. haha.

I just hope that your PSU didn't fry other parts in the computer.. but it really seems like the PSU overvolted the 12v rail and fried your video card. So I would RMA both those parts personally..

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Bacon & Eggs

Rep: 342 (Unique: 241)
Just call whoever you bought it from, that being it was within the last 30 days, just call whoever you ordered it from and request a RMA number!

On your mark!
Get set!
Terrible...

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:55 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 132 (Unique: 105)
I'm gonna say that smoke coming out of any part is pretty much going to mean its dead or unsafe to plug back in. I had a Sony DVD burner go up in smoke a few weeks ago. I thought it was the Mobo or something critical at first but upon investigation is was the burner. I opened it up because it was 30$ originally from the Egg and didn't want to mess with RMA. There was like a little circuit board on it that has indeed fried. Looked like just a little spot that burnt but it put out quite a bit of nasty smelly smoke, made my whole room stink for two or three days. Under no circumstance would I have plugged it in again tho and risk all the other components. Disassemble the machine and look closely at all your components, if that video card smoked there will be evidence of it. Also if it wasn't the Video card use your nose. That was the only way I could tell that my Sony/Optairc drive was the culprit. Absolutely no evidence on the external enclosure of the drive but the smell on it was unmistakable. Good Luck, and if the parts are under warranty your boss shouldnt be mad, just explain to him that you have to RMA it with the company. Stuff like this happens.

Peace

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 173 (Unique: 120)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
Since when do you put thermal paste on the motherboard? Do you mean processor? Even with no thermal paste it shouldn't fry instantly.. it'd just run hot.

RMA is not a refund (usually), they are just gonna replace it with a new part.. and no you don't really need to prove anything at all. I've RMAed parts that were working fine and still got a replacement. haha.
what he said ^^

Rivatuner 2.0 RC 16
CoolBits 2.0
Ati Tool
Source : Guru3d

Quote:
If you really hate Sony, Go Buy a PSThWii
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
Since when do you put thermal paste on the motherboard?
Whoops, sorry about that, my mind is in a bit of panic state I meant, maybe when I put the thermal paste on the processor, some leaked out onto the mobo and caused a short. I've heard that can happen, anyway.

Quote:
I just hope that your PSU didn't fry other parts in the computer
Yeah... Is there any way to check? I could see myself spending weeks RMA'ing things and putting new things and just ending up with a sack of useless parts in the end because maybe everything is fried...

Thanks for all the help and reassurance everyone... I'd be fleeing the country right now if it weren't for you guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in