Watercooled PS3 YLOD - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Watercooled PS3 YLOD

post #11 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
This is the original 60gb from day one, so it's already out of warranty wink.gif

I'll rebuild the thing tomorrow and see if I can get it to turn on, especially since FFX13-2 is in the post!

Quote:
When you're on OCN, if it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by faMine View Post

I've fixed PS3s with YLOD issues and a lot of times the cpu heatsinks weren't seated properly giving enough force. Try tightening your waterblocks a bit and see if that helps. You should also check and make sure all connections are made. Sometimes the PS3 YLOD when something isn't plugged in.

That has given me a thought, I didn't use the backplates because they wouldn't fit, maybe I'm shorting something out, or I've got thermal paste where I shouldn't have, done that before.

Quote:

post #13 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 49 (Unique: 46)
I'd actually love to WC my PS3. I have a 60GB launch PS3 and it is really loud now. I've cleaned it out and such, but WCing would be perfect. Hope you get it working OP. I'd start by disassembling it and putting it back together. Connections can be finicky on that kind of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smo View Post

Neither is spending silly amounts of money on computer parts we could live without.
Quit slamming the guy and help him.

If I could've helped him I would have, but I've never water cooled a PS3. As such I can only give him advice for future situations. The only things I slam are PBRs.

CS:S CAL-Open: Finalist
CS:S CAL/CEVO-Main: Semi-Finalist

post #15 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 65 (Unique: 57)
post #16 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 47 (Unique: 46)
Pabst Blue Ribbon?

CS:S CAL-Open: Finalist
CS:S CAL/CEVO-Main: Semi-Finalist

post #17 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Ps3 is in the oven baking smile.gif

Quote:

post #18 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 107 (Unique: 76)
Dude I take off my hat for you. Big respect thumb.gif no no no wait..... HUGE RESPECT thumb.gifthumb.gif

I would love to have a watcooled PS3. What temps were you getting with the setup and where did you get the parts / what parts were you using? And the annoying question: what did it cost you eventually?

If you PS3 was fine before watercooling it. And it ylod right when you wanted to start up with the setup it is quite illogical for it to actually overheat. Unless your waterblock isn't touching the cpu and gpu at all. I also bet my money on some connection not being made or something making too much contact.

I hope you get it working. I would love to see loads of more pics.

@people being annoying: 75% of all stuff on this forum is unneeded, unnecesary and far too expensive. And a PS3 is only 200 euros. A cpu people overclock to a pile of poof is usually more expensive. Give this man some credit for trying to be creative.

Why did you bake it though? A watercooled ps3 deserves a reball frown.gif

post #19 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hukkel View Post

Dude I take off my hat for you. Big respect thumb.gif no no no wait..... HUGE RESPECT thumb.gifthumb.gif
I would love to have a watcooled PS3. What temps were you getting with the setup and where did you get the parts / what parts were you using? And the annoying question: what did it cost you eventually?
If you PS3 was fine before watercooling it. And it ylod right when you wanted to start up with the setup it is quite illogical for it to actually overheat. Unless your waterblock isn't touching the cpu and gpu at all. I also bet my money on some connection not being made or something making too much contact.
I hope you get it working. I would love to see loads of more pics.
@people being annoying: 75% of all stuff on this forum is unneeded, unnecesary and far too expensive. And a PS3 is only 200 euros. A cpu people overclock to a pile of poof is usually more expensive. Give this man some credit for trying to be creative.
Why did you bake it though? A watercooled ps3 deserves a reball frown.gif

Thanks bud, I run a water cooling company in the UK so I get everything on the cheap anyway, cost me about £80 excluding VAT but I already had some of the bits (hence the blocks are different)

I would have thought if it was overheating, then it would turn on for a few seconds, not just one second. Also when it overheats you don't get a YLOD just a flashing red light.

Useless fact: there is no yellow LED, the red and green just come on at the same time biggrin.gif

Quote:

post #20 of 363 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 60 (Unique: 51)
Ah, the irony. You watercool to prevent overheating/YLOD and it receives the YLOD anyways lol

Good luck with the baking! Hope it comes out and works properly smile.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in