Help me select a PS3? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Help me select a PS3?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
ahnafakeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,956
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
I've been a PC gamer for as long as I have been gaming. I've never had a console before. I'm going to buy a PlayStation 3 and I need some help. So please answer these questions.

1) What are the differences between the different versions of PS3? Is any particular model better than the others hardware-wise (e.g. CPU, GPU)?
2) Does the storage capacity matter if I do not plan on storing music, movies or videos in the hard drive? Does a larger drive give better performance in games?
3) Which model from among the ones available would be best right now (e.g. slim, super slim etc.)? (I should note that I'm probably going to get it from Bangkok, if it helps)

Please feel free to let me know anything you think that I should know regarding the purchase or the PS3 itself. Also, if you don't mind, please mention the names of your favorite PS3 titles so that I can list which games to buy.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the help! smile.gif

EDIT : 4) I've come to know that consoles are classified into two types - PAL and NTSC. What is the difference between the two? Which one should I get?

4K60
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i RGB PLATINUM 280mm
Case
Corsair Crystal Series 680X
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Monitor
Benq BL3201PT
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K95
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 100
Audio
Bose QuietComfort 35
▲ hide details ▲
ahnafakeef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Probably sleep deprived
 
PhilWrir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Murrican Southwest
Posts: 5,582
Rep: 232 (Unique: 199)
1) First gen can play PS2 games, other than that, there is no difference.
2) Not really, but more space means you can run more games because by default the PS3 installs games to the HDD.
3) I would go for a glossy original or a slimline right now. the ultra slim ones seem to overheat a little more often than the slimline ones, which overheated a little more often than the original glossy ones.
Plus, the PS4 is right around the corner.

"In a relatively short time we've taken a system built to resist destruction by nuclear weapons and made it vulnerable to toasters." — Jeff Jarmoc


PhilWrir is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 5,236
Rep: 751 (Unique: 667)
Internal specs, they are all the same. The fat ones had some features (such as being able to load linux) that the newer ones don't have, but also didn't have as good of cooling. I would personally go for the Slim version (not the super slim, which looks cheap, isn't much slimmer, and has a top loading drive vs. slot loading)

As far as storage, you can always upgrade the storage on it (which you may want to upgrade to a faster storage drive anyway for faster load times), but certain games load large portions of the game onto the HDD for quicker access.

Always check back as I frequently edit my post - while we all try to be perfect in the information given, I'm here to learn just as much as you are.
appleg33k85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Bloodys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Latvia/UK/Ireland
Posts: 800
Rep: 18 (Unique: 18)

1) new ps3 versions uses less energy and runs cooler...but also with each version some options/quality is cuted off.

2) storage matters only if you plan downloading games from PSN  + game paches also is stored on HDD.

3)For now best choise would be ps3 slim  it has best preformance/quality ratio atm. PS3 super slim blue ray drive and design is made real cheap to lower prices.

 

From ps3 games -god of war 3 /SSX/Infamous/Uncharted .....1st killzone i did not like  but 2nd one i have not tryed.

 

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic  quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt  even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

Bloodys is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:19 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Metalhead79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 123
Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic  quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt  even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

For what it's worth, I go back and forth between my PS3 and gaming PC without any eye-pain. Personally, I've always been impressed with how good games like God of War and Uncharted look on console. Part of me can't seriously believe that kind of graphical prowess can be pulled out of such archaic hardware. Of course, I'm talking about PS3 exclusives. Games like Red Dead Redemption have pretty lousy character models. But we all know that gameplay trumps graphics, right? .........right?

For game recomendations, if you like shooters then should you love the Resistance and Killzone series. The Uncharted series...ok, just pick up all the PS3 exclusives, lol. Sony really has a handle on it's first party studios putting out killer IP's that really show off the power of the PS3.
Metalhead79 is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
ahnafakeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,956
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
So it seems like the slim version it is. Thanks to all of you for your replies. I have some more questions listed below that I hope you will take the time to answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

1) First gen can play PS2 games, other than that, there is no difference.
2) Not really, but more space means you can run more games because by default the PS3 installs games to the HDD.
3) I would go for a glossy original or a slimline right now. the ultra slim ones seem to overheat a little more often than the slimline ones, which overheated a little more often than the original glossy ones.
Plus, the PS4 is right around the corner.

How much space per game does it require on the HDD? and if I uninstall a game, does it also delete the updates, patches and saved games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

Internal specs, they are all the same. The fat ones had some features (such as being able to load linux) that the newer ones don't have, but also didn't have as good of cooling. I would personally go for the Slim version (not the super slim, which looks cheap, isn't much slimmer, and has a top loading drive vs. slot loading)

As far as storage, you can always upgrade the storage on it (which you may want to upgrade to a faster storage drive anyway for faster load times), but certain games load large portions of the game onto the HDD for quicker access.

By faster storage drive, do you mean an SSD? If so, is it worth it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodys View Post

1) new ps3 versions uses less energy and runs cooler...but also with each version some options/quality is cuted off.
2) storage matters only if you plan downloading games from PSN  + game paches also is stored on HDD.
3)For now best choise would be ps3 slim  it has best preformance/quality ratio atm. PS3 super slim blue ray drive and design is made real cheap to lower prices.

From ps3 games -god of war 3 /SSX/Infamous/Uncharted .....1st killzone i did not like  but 2nd one i have not tryed.

But since you are PC gamer you will be realy disapointed in graphic  quality ....no AA most new games dont even run at 720p ....Your eyes will hurt  even tho god of war 3 and uncharted games looked epic

How much space do patches require?
Also, I think I saw that the resolution of the PS3 is 1080p, or at least it was upgraded from 720p to 1080p through a firmware/software update. Aren't all games supposed to run at least on 720p if not 1080p?
I know that the graphics should be nowhere near that of the PCs. But there's nothing I can do about it, is there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead79 View Post

For what it's worth, I go back and forth between my PS3 and gaming PC without any eye-pain. Personally, I've always been impressed with how good games like God of War and Uncharted look on console. Part of me can't seriously believe that kind of graphical prowess can be pulled out of such archaic hardware. Of course, I'm talking about PS3 exclusives. Games like Red Dead Redemption have pretty lousy character models. But we all know that gameplay trumps graphics, right? .........right?

For game recomendations, if you like shooters then should you love the Resistance and Killzone series. The Uncharted series...ok, just pick up all the PS3 exclusives, lol. Sony really has a handle on it's first party studios putting out killer IP's that really show off the power of the PS3.

I shouldn't miss out on epic titles like God of War or Uncharted just because the graphics isn't satisfactory. This is actually one of the main reasons that I'm getting a PS3.
Thanks for the recommendations, but I personally think that playing shooters with a controller is a pita, especially after you've played it on a PC with a mouse and a keyboard. I'm mostly into games like GoW, DmC etc for playing with controllers.

4K60
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i RGB PLATINUM 280mm
Case
Corsair Crystal Series 680X
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Monitor
Benq BL3201PT
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K95
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 100
Audio
Bose QuietComfort 35
▲ hide details ▲
ahnafakeef is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Kusanagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 147
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
some useless info about the PlayStation 3 that might interest.

The graphics on the PS3 for some reason or another are better using hdmi, which is HDCP protected - and consequentially all video streams cant be recorded by a PVR or other encoding device - sad but true

component always plays at 720p on Skyrim Blops2 or MW3, probably every other game too, no matter what you select in your display settings, HDMI gives you full 1080p if your or monitor or TV is capable

ps3 controllers are the easiest and cheapest to convert for use on PC anyway, couple files bluetooth dongle and a usb cable.

Kusanagi is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Kusanagi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
Posts: 147
Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
and i'd recommend ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain and The Last Guardian - if it ever makes it to PS3 tongue.gif

Kusanagi is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
ahnafakeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,956
Rep: 63 (Unique: 46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post

some useless info about the PlayStation 3 that might interest.

The graphics on the PS3 for some reason or another are better using hdmi, which is HDCP protected - and consequentially all video streams cant be recorded by a PVR or other encoding device - sad but true

component always plays at 720p on Skyrim Blops2 or MW3, probably every other game too, no matter what you select in your display settings, HDMI gives you full 1080p if your or monitor or TV is capable

ps3 controllers are the easiest and cheapest to convert for use on PC anyway, couple files bluetooth dongle and a usb cable.

I plan on using it with my 1080p monitor which does not have an HDMI port. Does that put me at some kind of a disadvantage?

4K60
(14 items)
CPU
Intel Core i9-9900K
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus XI Formula
GPU
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080Ti
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB)
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX1200i
Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series™ H115i RGB PLATINUM 280mm
Case
Corsair Crystal Series 680X
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10
Monitor
Benq BL3201PT
Keyboard
Corsair Vengeance K95
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 100
Audio
Bose QuietComfort 35
▲ hide details ▲
ahnafakeef is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
ybz90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cambridge, MA
Posts: 131
Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Nope, you can just get an HDMI-DVI adapter, or even an HDMI-DVI cable (one on each end) cheaply from Monoprice. A little known fact about HDMI -- it's just DVI repackaged with audio, more or less. The two signals are totally compatible. You might consider getting an HDMI switch as well, so you can have multiple inputs all going to your monitor. That's how I had it set up during my undergrad years and it worked great. Hope this helps.

ybz90 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off